OU Vs. BYU

BIGBLACK

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job by BYU. Its always a good day when Oklahoma loses.

I'm convinced that the Red River Rivalry won't be worth watching this year. Because Texas is gonna make Oklahoma look silly. Horns are gonna beat em like a rented mule. I CANT WAIT!

I would say Stoops and Kevin Wilson have a lot of work to do. I hate to say it, but the coaches did not have this team prepared to play last night.

If Lindy saw Garrett Gilbert play last night, he might reconsider this statement.

I think its probaly safe to say that ULM's defense is worse than any Big 12 team's second string defense. While he will be a good possibly great QB for Texas, if McCoy goes down Texas will fall. He is the offense.

I think its probaly safe to say that ULM's defense is worse than any Big 12 team's second string defense. While he will be a good possibly great QB for Texas, if McCoy goes down Texas will fall. He is the offense.

your opinion....fine. Garrett Gilbert looks ready to run the show to me. Hopefully, we won't have to find out until next year.

I hope that the injury is not season threatening and that the predictions are true that Bradford will be back in 4 weeks. I know that Stoops had to put out the 2 to 4 week window so that teams would have a harder time preparing for the Sooners not really knowing which QB would be in the game. In all reality, he may be finished for the season. I say that because of several factors. The first being that Bradford feels the pressure to get back in and play not only for the Sooners' season but for his NFL ambitions. I think before he actually sees another game, he will find that the quick rehab will not be enough time for the shoulder to heal and they will see in practice that he is done. Second, if he does come back, we are probably only going to see him for a game.....maybe 2 at the most and the shoulder will then show the true damage to it and then we will see him done. And that is without him taking another hit on it. One more hit and he is DEFINITLEY done.

I'm not sure I believe Dr. Bob's prognosis either. I really think it would be foolish to come back before the shoulder is completely healed, especially behind that swiss cheese O-line. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. This should serve as a lesson to BGB to have his backups more prepared to play.

I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday or maybe Sunday and I caught the tail end of a conversation that said Bradford was offered 42 million guaranteed if he came out in last years draft.

Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If it is I would like to know who is advising this young man.

I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday or maybe Sunday and I caught the tail end of a conversation that said Bradford was offered 42 million guaranteed if he came out in last years draft.

Is this true? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If it is I would like to know who is advising this young man.

I don't know if that is true or not but Stafford got 42 mill and I would have bet the farm that Bradford would have gone ahead of him. It's all water under the bridge now.

I'm not sure I believe Dr. Bob's prognosis either. I really think it would be foolish to come back before the shoulder is completely healed, especially behind that swiss cheese O-line. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. This should serve as a lesson to BGB to have his backups more prepared to play.

Landry Jones wasn't the whole problem Saturday night, but OU is making some changes at o-line this week and there are moving Eldrige back to TE so hopefully that will help.

I hope that the injury is not season threatening and that the predictions are true that Bradford will be back in 4 weeks. I know that Stoops had to put out the 2 to 4 week window so that teams would have a harder time preparing for the Sooners not really knowing which QB would be in the game. In all reality, he may be finished for the season. I say that because of several factors. The first being that Bradford feels the pressure to get back in and play not only for the Sooners' season but for his NFL ambitions. I think before he actually sees another game, he will find that the quick rehab will not be enough time for the shoulder to heal and they will see in practice that he is done. Second, if he does come back, we are probably only going to see him for a game.....maybe 2 at the most and the shoulder will then show the true damage to it and then we will see him done. And that is without him taking another hit on it. One more hit and he is DEFINITLEY done.

This is a big wait and see!

Like all Sooner fans, I would have liked to have seen less undisciplined play (false starts, holding, missing blocking assignments) by the O-line. Period.

At the same time, those who are casting stones, like Mort, should be aware that a TON of unlucky circumstances have come together to result in part in what we saw the other night:

Because of injuries and various other factors, our inexperience in that game was monumental.

Tight ends: the best two were Gresham, in street clothes and Brody Eldridge, playing center, by necessity. As of right now, I guess the top two are Ratteree and Hanna - hopefully Eldridge can return to TE by next game. When we went three tights, the third was a freshman. None has much game experience

Center: The top three from six months ago were not available to play center. One transferred last summer, wanting more playing time. Our starting center, a redshirt freshman (Habern) was still recuperating from a back injury, and couldn't play. His backup, Brian Lepak, was injured and unable to play. By necessity, the coaches started cross-training players, including our backup tight end Brody Eldridge, to play center. A real musical chairs merry go round. Everyone got to play other positions, and nobody got as many reps as they needed at the position that they should have been playing, due to the attrition.

Quarterback: Nuff said. Actually Landry did a creditable job, considering the down and distance that all of the procedure penalties and holding penalties put us in. I am not sure how much Sam Bradford will be able to play this year, or if and when he is able to return, how well he will be able to play because of his injury.

That is a recipe for disaster in that environment. Of all years, this was not the year to play somebody in the top 20 in game one. Pros get preseason games. High schools get scrimmages. Colleges get a chance to play somebody looking for a pay check in game one and get the kinks out before the real games start, which is what OU would have been doing, had not a mid-major school backed out of a home-and-home with us. That left us scrambling to fill the opening... BYU.

With all of that, OU still came within a point of winning the game.

What you are seeing is a perfect example of how a season can unravel when bad luck strikes.

...pray it doesn't happen to the Longhorns. It could, you know, especially with Colt scrambling around like he does. I truly hope not, but you never know when something like happened to Sam could happen to Colt.

Ah, blame it on ol' Mort. Sorry pal, but I'm just calling a spade a spade. How soon some forget when BGB was busy pumping up Bradford's stats last year and running up scores to set some new NCAA record.... all the while not getting backups needed experience. Now it seems that karma is biting the Sooners in the ###.

I feel for Bradford, but not the Sooners. And yes, it seems to have gone from raining to pouring for the Sooners.......too bad.

BTW, BYU is a mid-major.

Totally agree.

I hate that Bradford is hurt. He seems like a great guy & is obviously very talented. But I didn't hear much OU sympathy

last year when the team with a identical record that beat them got left out.

Tough break. It can happen to any team at any time. You got to deal with it....not point fingers.

How soon some forget when BGB was busy pumping up Bradford's stats last year and running up scores to set some new NCAA record.... all the while not getting backups needed experience. Now it seems that karma is biting the Sooners in the ###.

First of all, I wasn't blaming anything on you or anyone else.

But in your eagerness to pile on, you showed that you are talking through your hat:

Landry Jones redshirted last year, so could not have received experience. And Jones wasn't the problem Saturday night, anyway.

It also seems that like many Horn fans, you conveniently forget that Bob Stoops and the Sooners didn't run up the score unnecessarily last year. In fact, OU scored a LOT less points in the fourth quarter than did Texas last year. Running up the score? No, not even as much as Texas. If anything, OU tried to keep the score down in the second half last year. Most of the points scored were in the first half.

First of all, I wasn't blaming anything on you or anyone else.

But in your eagerness to pile on, you showed that you are talking through your hat:

Landry Jones redshirted last year, so could not have received experience. And Jones wasn't the problem Saturday night, anyway.

It also seems that like many Horn fans, you conveniently forget that Bob Stoops and the Sooners didn't run up the score unnecessarily last year. In fact, OU scored a LOT less points in the fourth quarter than did Texas last year. Running up the score? No, not even as much as Texas. If anything, OU tried to keep the score down in the second half last year. Most of the points scored were in the first half.

Whatever, you chose to mention me by name, as you seem to like to do. What you don't seem to realize is that you are in the minority in your thinking. I never mentioned any specific player, but it is a fact that the Sooners are starting a LOT of inexperienced players in many positions including quarterback.

Number one, Stoops chose to redshirt Jones last year not knowing if Bradford was even coming back for his senior year......DUMB. It's the same situation Texas is in this year with Garrett Gilbert. Difference is that Mack Brown was smart enough not to redshirt Gilbert. Stoops also failed to let his backup O-lineman get experience....now he is paying the piper.

Number two, you're not going to convince anyone that OU didn't run up scores last year. (SEE BIG 12 CHAMP GAME). That is a big reason why OU "impressed" voters with their large margins of victory. We were all watching as BGB desperately went after the 60+ points/gm in a row record(probably the dumbest record in CFB). He left Bradford play in games that were already way past decided.

Your argument that Texas scored more points in the 4th quarter is irrelevant. First of all, there were more games that were still competitive into the 4th quarter, and those that weren't were played with backups.