237 replies to this topic

#121 DawgForLife

DawgForLife

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Courtesy of statesman.com even though the defensive stat are misleading.

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Football preview: La Grange vs. Carthage
Wednesday, December 09, 2009

QUARTERBACK

La Grange's Josh Schneider has thrown for 3,773 yards and 36 touchdowns this season. A defensive back on last year's state title team, Carthage's Anthony Morgan set the school record for touchdown passes in his first season at quarterback.

EDGE: Even

OTHER OFFENSE

Brandon Wilkerson has caught 93 passes 24 for touchdowns for La Grange. Teammate Corbin McHazlett has a team-high 94 receptions. With 841 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns, Carthage wideout Jalen Claiborne is 110 yards and two touchdown catches away from two single-season school records that were set in 1991.

EDGE: La Grange

DEFENSE

La Grange shut out Devine two weeks ago, then allowed at least 27 points in each of its other playoff games. Carthage opened the playoffs with a shutout, but the Bulldogs have allowed an average of 29.3 points in their past three games.

SPECIAL TEAMS

La Grange has missed seven extra-point kicks in the postseason, but kicker Jacob Henderson did convert two short field goals last week against Sinton. Gary Nutt, who plays offense and defense, returned the opening kickoff of Carthage's regional playoff game against Caldwell for a touchdown.

EDGE: Carthage

INTANGIBLES

A win would put La Grange in its third state title game this decade. At 27 games, Carthage's winning streak is the second-longest active streak in the state.

OUR PICKS

Rick Cantu: Carthage

Danny Davis: Carthage

BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK
2008 Football 3A Division 2 State Champs

2009 Football 3A Division 2 State Champs
2010 Football 3A Division 2 State Champs

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D. H. Lawrence

To be the man you gotta beat the man. - Ric Flair

#122 76IHSMustang

76IHSMustang

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

I think this game will be a shootout in the first half. In the second half ,La Grange will begin to work its magic.

#123 nellied

nellied

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (DawgForLife @ Dec 9 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

QUARTERBACK

La Grange's Josh Schneider has thrown for 3,773 yards and 36 touchdowns this season. A defensive back on last year's state title team, Carthage's Anthony Morgan set the school record for touchdown passes in his first season at quarterback.

OTHER OFFENSE

Brandon Wilkerson has caught 93 passes 24 for touchdowns for La Grange. Teammate Corbin McHazlett has a team-high 94 receptions. With 841 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns, Carthage wideout Jalen Claiborne is 110 yards and two touchdown catches away from two single-season school records that were set in 1991.

DEFENSE

La Grange shut out Devine two weeks ago, then allowed at least 27 points in each of its other playoff games. Carthage opened the playoffs with a shutout, but the Bulldogs have allowed an average of 29.3 points in their past three games.

SPECIAL TEAMS

La Grange has missed seven extra-point kicks in the postseason, but kicker Jacob Henderson did convert two short field goals last week against Sinton. Gary Nutt, who plays offense and defense, returned the opening kickoff of Carthage's regional playoff game against Caldwell for a touchdown.

INTANGIBLES

A win would put La Grange in its third state title game this decade. At 27 games, Carthage's winning streak is the second-longest active streak in the state.

OUR PICKS

I see a couple of things left out on the Carthage info with this...only mentioning Jalen Claiborne as a receiver is a mistake. Trevor Murphy, E. Pope, Gary Nutt, and Wheatie (O'Bryan Washington) can all catch the ball not to mention Defensive player Kendall Thompson's 2 TD receptions. Also on Special Teams, not mentioning Francisco Monreal, the Bulldog kicker, who has missed a few xp's this season (not many- I do not think he has missed one in the playoffs, but could be mistaken) and has kicked at least one 40+ yd field goal this year and E. Pope's ability to block kicks. As for the Carthage Defense: many of the points that count toward the "average 29.3" points allowed...was on 2nd string defense not our starters. They still gave Carthage the nod to win, but I think we have more of an edge than they think based on what they said and what I know to be true.

On the other hand, it is highly possible that in this synopsis, they have failed to mention some key points for LaGrange sooo....who knows.

Carthage will win this one even if it is by a fieldgoal.

#124 DawgForLife

DawgForLife

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (nellied @ Dec 10 2009, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see a couple of things left out on the Carthage info with this...only mentioning Jalen Claiborne as a receiver is a mistake. Trevor Murphy, E. Pope, Gary Nutt, and Wheatie (O'Bryan Washington) can all catch the ball not to mention Defensive player Kendall Thompson's 2 TD receptions. Also on Special Teams, not mentioning Francisco Monreal, the Bulldog kicker, who has missed a few xp's this season (not many- I do not think he has missed one in the playoffs, but could be mistaken) and has kicked at least one 40+ yd field goal this year and E. Pope's ability to block kicks. As for the Carthage Defense: many of the points that count toward the "average 29.3" points allowed...was on 2nd string defense not our starters. They still gave Carthage the nod to win, but I think we have more of an edge than they think based on what they said and what I know to be true. On the other hand, it is highly possible that in this synopsis, they have failed to mention some key points for LaGrange sooo....who knows. Carthage will win this one even if it is by a fieldgoal.
I agree 100 percent!
BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D. H. Lawrence

#125 formerBULLDAWG

formerBULLDAWG

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (76IHSMustang @ Dec 9 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this game will be a shootout in the first half. In the second half ,La Grange will begin to work its magic.

I promise you La Grange will not score more than 21 against Carthage, and theres no way La Grange will hold Carthage to under 30.

#126 formerBULLDAWG

formerBULLDAWG

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

QUARTERBACK

OTHER OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS

INTANGIBLES

OUR PICKS

This is stupid, Carthage is definately better defenseively and our offense isn't one dimensional.

#127 dawgs2010

dawgs2010

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:59 AM

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

QUARTERBACK

OTHER OFFENSE

DEFENSE

SPECIAL TEAMS

INTANGIBLES

OUR PICKS

i agree with nellied......you left off a lot of key players including our brick wall of a D Line (DeShun Williams who got defensive player of the week and Tre'Kevian Mckee). Our boys aren't going down without a fight so no matter what the statistics say, it's gonna be who wants it bad enough and our dawgs are hungry for some leopards.
CAN YOUU HEAR 'EMM A GROWLINN'?!

#128 hoopscoach17

hoopscoach17

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

Not trying to jump ahead but I was wondering if the 4 head coaches have talked and decided where they will play the championship game? A Carthage/Pittsburg game I would hope be somewhere in East Texas. Just curious.

#129 hookandladder

hookandladder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (hoopscoach17 @ Dec 10 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not trying to jump ahead but I was wondering if the 4 head coaches have talked and decided where they will play the championship game? A Carthage/Pittsburg game I would hope be somewhere in East Texas. Just curious.

Cowboy Stadium, next Saturday.

#130 nellied

nellied

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (dawgs2010 @ Dec 10 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree with nellied......you left off a lot of key players including our brick wall of a D Line (DeShun Williams who got defensive player of the week and Tre'Kevian Mckee). Our boys aren't going down without a fight so no matter what the statistics say, it's gonna be who wants it bad enough and our dawgs are hungry for some leopards.

LOL, thx 2010...I left them off bc I'd basically have to start naming the whole D line and O line(don't forget Kyle Deaton, E. Pope, Lovis Hall, Cutter Clinton, Cortlyn Ware, Fabian Ewins...just to name a few more-- the list goes on and on!) We have a great team...yes a few key players, but they are so good at playing as a TEAM that many times you can't single out those who make great plays. LET'S GO DAWGS! Kick a few more kitties this week!

#131 leopardfan81

leopardfan81

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (formerBULLDAWG @ Dec 10 2009, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I promise you La Grange will not score more than 21 against Carthage, and theres no way La Grange will hold Carthage to under 30.
Thats funny we will score 30 to 35 points on ya.Our offense has been unstoppable all year long and in the playoffs:We are the best team ya will play in the playoffs up to date.good luck to both teams:i have no predictions like ya do thinking ahead,wel bringing to the field see ya there.

#132 JBizzle

JBizzle

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Twitter:@JBiz13
  • Interests:Sports of all kinds.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (leopardfan81 @ Dec 10 2009, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats funny we will score 30 to 35 points on ya.Our offense has been unstoppable all year long and in the playoffs:We are the best team ya will play in the playoffs up to date.good luck to both teams:i have no predictions like ya do thinking ahead,wel bringing to the field see ya there.

Gonna need more than 30-35 points to beat us, bro. I doubt a pass happy offense like La Grange is going to eat the clock like Lorena, so I'm thinking Dawgs should be in the high 40's at least. You think you've played some good teams, but I don't think you've seen an offense that's as balanced as Carthage all season. Leopard D better lace up their cleats...

Go Dawgs!
"Can ya hear 'em a growlin'?"

#133 Medman7

Medman7

Natural

• Moderators
  • 5,000 posts
  • Interests:High School Football, Hunting, and Fishing

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (hookandladder @ Dec 10 2009, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cowboy Stadium, next Saturday.

Really! I did not figure that there would be anything high school there for a long time! Do they have a confirmation on this possibility?
Rationalization: (Modern Deffinition) Replacing the true sense of right and wrong with a sense of entitlement!

1A Football Forum
http://1atexasfootball.com/

Anyone wishing to contribute to the monthly maintenance costs, or help with all of the recent smoaky.com upgrades can now do so! Please see the bottom of any of the Smoaky.com, smoaky.com HS Stats and Records and Smoakhouse Forums pages for contribution buttons! You may use PayPal or your own choice of credit card.

Contributions are not required but are greatly appreciated

#134 leopardfan81

leopardfan81

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (JBizzle @ Dec 10 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gonna need more than 30-35 points to beat us, bro. I doubt a pass happy offense like La Grange is going to eat the clock like Lorena, so I'm thinking Dawgs should be in the high 40's at least. You think you've played some good teams, but I don't think you've seen an offense that's as balanced as Carthage all season. Leopard D better lace up their cleats...

Go Dawgs!
And i dont think ya have seen a passing attack like ours in the playoffs yet:not menton we also run the ball,in the playoffs we r rushing close to a 150 yards a game,u put the passing in there with it:whr hard to beat:ya might be able to pass but ya wont be able to run the ball we have stoped the run all year long.

#135 JBizzle

JBizzle

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • Twitter:@JBiz13
  • Interests:Sports of all kinds.

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (leopardfan81 @ Dec 10 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And i dont think ya have seen a passing attack like ours in the playoffs yet:not menton we also run the ball,in the playoffs we r rushing close to a 150 yards a game,u put the passing in there with it:whr hard to beat:ya might be able to pass but ya wont be able to run the ball we have stoped the run all year long.

Well, I guess we don't stop the run? Please, you may have stopped other rushing attacks, but that by no means gaurantees you will stop the Dawgs. We got some Horses up front.
"Can ya hear 'em a growlin'?"

#136 leopardfan81

leopardfan81

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (JBizzle @ Dec 10 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I guess we don't stop the run? Please, you may have stopped other rushing attacks, but that by no means gaurantees you will stop the Dawgs. We got some Horses up front.
Size really dont matter to La grange:Every single team we have played all year have been bigger than us:i do expect a close game:the point spreads aint but 4 to 7 points so anything can happen.

#137 hookandladder

hookandladder

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (JBizzle @ Dec 10 2009, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be willing to bet we will try to stop your running game and make you pass the ball more than you want, make you beat us with the pass. If we cannot stop your running game, it will be hard for us to win. If our QB does not get any pressure, he will pick you apart. Will Carthage cover #9 Wilkerson man to man or will they double team him, no one has been able to cover him man to man all year just curious if you think you have someone that can cover him.

#138 DawgForLife

DawgForLife

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (leopardfan81 @ Dec 10 2009, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Size really dont matter to La grange:Every single team we have played all year have been bigger than us:i do expect a close game:the point spreads aint but 4 to 7 points so anything can happen.

Were not just big, were fas,t and nasty in the trenches. Carthage will hang more points on you than any team youve played. Keep in mind every turn over you make is already 7 more points for the Dawgs, whether its a fumble, interception, or turn over on downs.

If you take the field with the Dawgs you better have your chin strap on!

Like I said earlier you might wanna GOOGLE us!
BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK

#139 DawgForLife

DawgForLife

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (hookandladder @ Dec 10 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be willing to bet we will try to stop your running game and make you pass the ball more than you want, make you beat us with the pass. If we cannot stop your running game, it will be hard for us to win. If our QB does not get any pressure, he will pick you apart. Will Carthage cover #9 Wilkerson man to man or will they double team him, no one has been able to cover him man to man all year just curious if you think you have someone that can cover him.

We throw excellent! Plenty of time for our QB and he's had two games with 0 incompletions.

Im sure there will probably be help either over the top or some how.
BACK 2 BACK 2 BACK

#140 house

house

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Medman7 @ Dec 10 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really! I did not figure that there would be anything high school there for a long time! Do they have a confirmation on this possibility?

bunch of high school games already played there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users