http://www.kilgorene...n_district.html

#2 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

I would say Kilgore has dispatched their greatest obsticle in Pine Tree handily in District. I do not see anyone keeping them from winning the district.

#3 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

Kilgore is now 4-0 now, with a win over John Tyler. District standings below.

Jacksonville 4-0
Kilgore 4-0
Marshall 3-1
Hallsville 1-2
Pine Tree 1-2
John Tyler 1-3
Whitehouse 1-3
Nacogdoches 0-4

Kilgore has not played Marshall or Jacksonville yet. Jacksonville beat Marshall 10-0 on Tuesday.

Pine Tree lost about 10 seniors, so they are not the same as last year. Kilgore lost 9 seniors, including their top 7 boys. Jacksonville's team has the most returning, and are probably considered the favorite by most. None of the teams come close to comparing to Texas High's team, or even to Lindale or Kilgore last year.

#4 TripleDogDare

TripleDogDare

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

I expected PT to be down quite a bit. At least Kilgore is competing well within the district in spite of heavy losses. Rebuild vs. re-load, I guess. Good luck the rest of the way.

#5 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

Kilgore and Jacksonville both won on Tuesday, keeping both teams undefeated at 6-0. Kilgore defeated Marshall 10-2, while Jacksonville topped Whitehouse 10-0. Jacksonville travels to Kilgore on Tuesday for the final district match. Keep in mind that the district is doing a district tournament this year, so all this is just for seeding. J'ville, Kilgore, Marshall, and JT have the top 4 seeds already locked. Marshall will be the 3 seed, and JT will be the 4 seed. Pine Tree, Hallsville, and Whitehouse are still competing for the 5 spot. Whitehouse plays PT, and Hallsville plays Marshall on Tuesday.

Jacksonville 6-0
Kilgore 6-0
Marshall 4-2
John Tyler 3-3
Pine Tree 2-4
Hallsville 2-4
Whitehouse 1-5
Nacogdoches 0-6

#6 JvilleNDN

JvilleNDN

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:37 PM

Jacksonville takes the title easily this year....they are 60-1 in district matches this year

#7 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (JvilleNDN @ Oct 12 2010, 05:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jacksonville takes the title easily this year....they are 60-1 in district matches this year

Sure are confident with another undefeated team in the district.

#8 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (JvilleNDN @ Oct 12 2010, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess the Kilgore team didn't get your memo.

Kilgore 10
Jacksonville 9

Kilgore finishes 7-0 in district and will be the #1 seed at the district tournament. Pretty good possibility these teams will meet again next week.

#9 TripleDogDare

TripleDogDare

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

Congrats to Kilgore.

I was not aware of the format change. Is this a district by district decision or statewide?

It's a mistake in my opinion. It renders the entire regular season virtually meaningless. Kilgore and Jacksonville have proven over the regular season that they are the most deserving of regional berths; they should not have to earn them again. Worse, Kilgore has a legitimate claim to the district championship, but will probably have to beat Jacksonville again for the official title.

Boiling the entire season down to a tournament penalizes the good teams by negating their accomplishments and favors the weaker teams by wiping their slates clean. Shortening the season adds more uncertainty to the results. One team gets hot, another slumps, another suffers an ill-timed injury or illness. All have a greater impact in the short format.

There is little margin for error in team tennis as it is. Only 2 teams per district advance to the post-season (vs. 4 teams for most sports). All the more reason to use a longer format that rewards the better teams. To my knowledge, post-season advancement in all other UIL sports is based solely on the results of the district regular season.

#10 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (rednblack @ Oct 13 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats to Kilgore.

I was not aware of the format change. Is this a district by district decision or statewide?

It's a mistake in my opinion. It renders the entire regular season virtually meaningless. Kilgore and Jacksonville have proven over the regular season that they are the most deserving of regional berths; they should not have to earn them again. Worse, Kilgore has a legitimate claim to the district championship, but will probably have to beat Jacksonville again for the official title.

Boiling the entire season down to a tournament penalizes the good teams by negating their accomplishments and favors the weaker teams by wiping their slates clean. Shortening the season adds more uncertainty to the results. One team gets hot, another slumps, another suffers an ill-timed injury or illness. All have a greater impact in the short format.

There is little margin for error in team tennis as it is. Only 2 teams per district advance to the post-season (vs. 4 teams for most sports). All the more reason to use a longer format that rewards the better teams. To my knowledge, post-season advancement in all other UIL sports is based solely on the results of the district regular season.

It is a district decision. The coaches voted to have a tournament this year. Hopefully, this will be the first and only year that we will have it. I know Tyler Lee's district has done this format for years, but I'm not sure how many districts do it around the state.

#11 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Congrats to Kilgore on winning the seeding season and to Jacksonville on what appears to be a great match. Sounds like two evenly matched teams.

Personally I think the extra matches/tournament would better suit Kilgore and Jacksonville playing better competition such as Ennis, Coriscana, etc.....

Several years back Texas High was in a district that had a spring seeding tournament prior to the district tournament. Texas High did not participate in the seeding tournament. Instead they participated in a tournament that would help there player get a seed at the Regional Tourney. District coaches would not seed the Texas High players who went on to sweep all the district slots to Regions.

I suspect Texas High would be happy with just a distict tourney and not individual matches with other schools. But for the remainder of the district, the round robin is balance competition most years.

#12 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (bordertown @ Oct 14 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats to Kilgore on winning the seeding season and to Jacksonville on what appears to be a great match. Sounds like two evenly matched teams.

Personally I think the extra matches/tournament would better suit Kilgore and Jacksonville playing better competition such as Ennis, Coriscana, etc.....

Several years back Texas High was in a district that had a spring seeding tournament prior to the district tournament. Texas High did not participate in the seeding tournament. Instead they participated in a tournament that would help there player get a seed at the Regional Tourney. District coaches would not seed the Texas High players who went on to sweep all the district slots to Regions.

I suspect Texas High would be happy with just a distict tourney and not individual matches with other schools. But for the remainder of the district, the round robin is balance competition most years.

Kilgore has played some tough matches in August and in quad matches during the season. We played Corsicana, Midlothian, Rockwall, Lindale, Longview, Tyler Lee, as well as some of the better 3A teams in the area. In fact, we might have an overall losing record! I know some of the teams in our district don't play much of anything other than district, and they don't start before school starts. It would probably benefit those teams to have the district tournament since our first district match was at the end of August and they hadn't practiced. Teams like Kilgore and Jacksonville had already played around 8 matches before school even started.

#13 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

Bulldog, I understand the rationale of the remaining teams in your district to a tourney format. Kilgore & Jacksonville have invested in their programs, built programs, and played matches that let the players know where they stand in the "bigger picture" of the Region Tennis. I think the realistic goal of both programs is a "good showing at Regions". I would say - "go to state", but I think we are both understand our programs will have a hard time getting past HP.

The district tourney is the end of the line realistically for the other teams in your district. They have played similiar opponents to themselves (except when they play Jacksonville or Kilgore). I suspect in some of those matches Kilgore & Jacksonville let other kids play. That is the case at Texas High.

Personally, it is a disservice to Kilgore & Jacksonville to make them play inferior opponents rather than searching out teams that can get them ready for Regionals. Next weekend Texas High will play Lindale and Tyler Lee to keep their skills sharp and Lee may hand them their second loss.

Best of luck to the Bulldogs.

#14 taylo2011

taylo2011

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Jacksonville's Mercer Day is the best player in the District...

#15 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (taylo2011 @ Oct 15 2010, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jacksonville's Mercer Day is the best player in the District...

He has been the best singles player in the district for a few years now.

#16 JvilleNDN

JvilleNDN

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Jacksonville will win the district tournament...i have a feeling that someone will step up and get that 10th win they were seeking last week. im going to say jville wins 10-8. mark it down

#17 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:08 PM

Jacksonville should win the district tournament easily now. Hallsville boys swept Kilgore and they won the mixed, to pull off the 10-9 win. Jacksonville has better boys than Hallsville, so they should have no problems getting 1st. Kilgore's girls went 82-1 in district matches this year, but it wasn't enough to get us to regionals. Good luck to Jacksonville and Texas High at regionals.

#18 JvilleNDN

JvilleNDN

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

jacksonville gets first beating hallsville 10-1

#19 TripleDogDare

TripleDogDare

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE (Bulldogtennis @ Oct 19 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jacksonville should win the district tournament easily now. Hallsville boys swept Kilgore and they won the mixed, to pull off the 10-9 win. Jacksonville has better boys than Hallsville, so they should have no problems getting 1st. Kilgore's girls went 78-1 in district matches this year, but it wasn't enough to get us to regionals. Good luck to Jacksonville and Texas High at regionals.

This is precisely why the district tournament format is a poor one for determining regional berths - Kilgore (7-0) stays home while Hallsville (3-4 or 2-5 advances). Clearly, 14-4A will not be represented by its most talented and deserving teams.

#20 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (rednblack @ Oct 20 2010, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is precisely why the district tournament format is a poor one for determining regional berths - Kilgore (7-0) stays home while Hallsville (3-4 or 2-5 advances). Clearly, 14-4A will not be represented by its most talented and deserving teams.

It tough to look at the overall district records and have to stay home, but hopefully this will be the one and only time this district does a tournament in the fall.

Jacksonville 9-1
Hallsville 4-6
Kilgore 9-1
Marshall 7-3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users