DirecTV or Dish Network?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,807 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

I am sure there are threads in the deep, dusty SDC archives on this subject, but I would like a "fresh" opinion.

I can't take not having MLB Network anymore & am tired of waiting for Suddenlink to get it.

Time to get satellite...

I have been told DirecTV is superior to Dish Network – true?

Does DirecTV have Versus in its lineup?

Thanks! wink.gif

#2 ThatPeaceDude

ThatPeaceDude

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:"edibles" and "herbs"

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

DirecTV has better response to service calls IMO. I have both - direcTV at home and Dish at the lakehouse.

#3 Colmesneilfan1

Colmesneilfan1

Smoakhouse Libertarian

• Administrators
  • 28,807 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

DirecTv has verses(603), MLB Network (213).......I've been a customer since 1995....it's the ONLY outlet for NFL Sunday Ticket.....

Mark 16: 16..."16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Acts 2: 38...."38And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Acts 22: 16...."16And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name."

I Peter 3: 21...."21Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

The above Scripture is from the English Standard Version

#4 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 29 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am sure there are threads in the deep, dusty SDC archives on this subject, but I would like a "fresh" opinion.

I can't take not having MLB Network anymore & am tired of waiting for Suddenlink to get it.

Time to get satellite...

I have been told DirecTV is superior to Dish Network – true?

Thanks! wink.gif

They are both pretty ridiculous.
DirecTV is slightly more expensive, but each of their sets has different channels, so wether the price is worth it or not depends on the person.
You can't switch out or get rid of channels you don't use on your plan either, only add onto it.

#5 etos10

etos10

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:32 AM

I have had both DirecTV and Dish and I prefer Directv! Their service is much better and I like the channels you get. Dish loses reception everytime someone blows a bubble with their gum. Directv only loses reception in very strong storms (not very often)

#6 imyahuckleberry

imyahuckleberry

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Directv is better imo, my son has Dish and he agrees. my two cents

#7 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,807 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Thanks guys ... DirecTV it is!

One more channel question:

Is VH1 Classic on DirecTV ???

#8 sackem

sackem

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 29 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! wink.gif

During baseball there a lot of games where one team versus another team; same during football. lots of coverage of these games.

Just wondering does a truck with camera follow bicycle riders or do they just catch them at special points. anyway sounds boring to watch for 4 or 5 hours the tour de france?

#9 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 29 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys ... DirecTV it is!

One more channel question:

Is VH1 Classic on DirecTV ???

On all but the cheapest package/

#10 DieHardCubFan

DieHardCubFan

Teaparty Candidate for Sheriff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Location:Don't cry Barry...2012 will be here sooner than you think &amp; you'll be back home in Chicago...or was that Kenya?!

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I have had both.

Currently have Direct TV and no changes in the foreseeable future. Many, many more choices & better HD channels.

Yes, a bit pricey (as compared to what I had when I had Dish)...but I have HBO & Showtime sets of movie channels & they've added several HD channels without charge.
It's all fun and games...until the Flying Monkeys attack!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."
-- President Gerald R. Ford, August 12th, 1974

#11 ClawNAntler

ClawNAntler

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

i have had both. i'm currently on Dish mainly because of the price. of course after i changed Direct offered me the same but they wouldn't before then. anyway i do have Versus. when i was on Direct i did not have it. i did for a while but lost it. i have no preference as far as the channels

#12 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

I knew you had Suddenlink for some reason just by the way you talk about your tv sometimes. I worked for them for years when they were Cox. I went so high up in the company, well depends on how you see it, but I worked in the NSC and monitored their network. I won't tell you specifics because it would be wrong to bad mouth them in that way but I will tell you this. Working their, I know how poor their service is. It was extremely frustrating talking to people who had all the problems they had. Their local markets were way too big for their britches. There was all that ground to cover and not enough cable techs and the one's they had didn't specialize in all 3 fields of either internet/telephony or cable tv. Most of them were just cable techs and they all had one guy they call the Road Dog who is the internet tech. So like covering Tyler was a guy name Rodney. All by himself. Tyler isn't huge but for one guy to do all of that is crazy. What if 2 nodes goes down? Which often times, it wasn't 2 but 3 or 4 at one time. How's he supposed to be in all those places at once and usually it takes a couple hours to fix one node and thats with the help of the head tech! I also know how some of the phone reps would get really rude and the call would end up getting escalated to the NSC which was completly unacceptable but anyway, if anyone asked me if Suddenlink was worth having, I would have to say no. Not because they don't try but because they simply can not deliver.
I had DirectTV and DishNetwork for years. DirectTv hands down was the best! It has multiple sports packages that are great and I believe they did have VH1 classic! So that would be my choice. The only bad thing I would say is it seemed like they nickel and dime you for everything alot!

#13 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,807 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

If you guys don't mind telling me, how much are you paying a month for DirecTV?

I am currently paying $130/month for Suddenlink pinch.gif

#14 HighRollin8s

HighRollin8s

The Ohio State

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 30 2010, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hate to tell you this but cable is cheaper! We had everything on DirectTV except the sports packages. Well I had Fox sports which is 5 dollars extra probably more now and our bill was 280 a month! Thats without phone, and internet. But is better service. Just costs more. Their forte is specializing in area's that can't get cable so they take advantage of it.

I'm sorry Cheapy, I lied. The years before the Big Ten network came out, I paid 100 extra during college football season to get all the Ohio State games. The thing was, some of the games were blacked out. Even with that package! Man I was ticked when that happened! But the Big Ten network came along and all is bliss!

#15 ClawNAntler

ClawNAntler

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 30 2010, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that will depend on what you want. for me give me the local channels, espn, versus and a few other sport channels and i'm good to go. i've had them both and i can't say i like one better than the other

#16 TxBroadcaster

TxBroadcaster

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:50 AM

We have had Direct AND Dish in our house..loved both...went BACKDirect this year because of a great price for NFL ticket AND their best package( 50 bucks for all for 5 months)

Had Verizon FIOS in between..loved their VOD, but like Direct's HD better, just seems clearer. We liked Dish and never really had a complaint, just prefer Direct because of the NFL Ticket package
Listen Each Week Sideline To Sideline http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1255035

#17 ThatPeaceDude

ThatPeaceDude

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:"edibles" and "herbs"

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:15 AM

As of today, Dish no longer carries Fox sports [FSSW]. Fox raised their price and Dish said no so Fox pulled their sports channels. It only affects Fox sports so far. During the Fox Sports lock out Dish has added Espn classic, NFL network, Big 10 network, NBA tv and NHL network plus 12 other regional sports networks at no extra charge. If you are a Dish customer call Fox Sports at 310-369-1000.

#18 Paradox

Paradox

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

DirecTV - gotta love that screen guide.

#19 sackem

sackem

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

DirecTV has better response to service calls IMO. I have both - direcTV at home and Dish at the lakehouse.

You should be able to have one account.
you can somehow bounce the reciever for one account if you own both houses.

#20 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I love Direct TV and the Football package along with the Baseball package. HD is great also.
The very wise Yuval Levin, editor of National Affairs, describes the differing dispositions of liberals and conservatives this way: Liberals are moved by outrage at what is wrong with their society; conservatives feel gratitude for what is right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users