#21 futfan

futfan

Hawk Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Twitter:#PGHawks

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:27 AM

I don't know about a different group, mayb3e one or two bands would have changed places.
What would be your explaination for a different group? (Other than predicting how the bands would have done in the finals, versus the prelims? )
HAWK NATION

#22 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (foreveraneagle @ Oct 25 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just sayin - Military is out - way out.

By the way - Canton is heading to state next week. Marched in a driving rain last Saturday and still made it to state.

I dare say there are more that a few bands, especially in East Texas, that would argue this point. And please don't go into the whole "one is better than the other" debate - old news.

Kinda hard to make a big deal out of going to state under the circumstances last Saturday.

#23 foreveraneagle

foreveraneagle

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (HitEmHarder @ Oct 25 2010, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dare say there are more that a few bands, especially in East Texas, that would argue this point. And please don't go into the whole "one is better than the other" debate - old news.

Kinda hard to make a big deal out of going to state under the circumstances last Saturday.

Bitter huh? Canton has dominated during the last decade. Hard to argue with three straight state titles and one bronze. I know new band new students. We'll see next week. Weather won't be a factor there so there won't be any crying about how different it would be.

GO EAGLE BAND WIN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!AGAIN notworthy.gif

#24 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (foreveraneagle @ Oct 25 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bitter huh? Canton has dominated during the last decade. Hard to argue with three straight state titles and one bronze. I know new band new students. We'll see next week. Weather won't be a factor there so there won't be any crying about how different it would be.

GO EAGLE BAND WIN STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!AGAIN notworthy.gif

Not bitter at all. Just curious why you are so narrow minded.

#25 HawkEye

HawkEye

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (foreveraneagle @ Oct 25 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just sayin - Military is out - way out.

By the way - Canton is heading to state next week. Marched in a driving rain last Saturday and still made it to state.

You may have an opinion on military, but ignoring it's presence in Texas is unwise. The fact that is different does not make it irrelevant in competition. (just 'cause you say so)
Overlooking them could be construed as vanity.

No matter who marched in the competition, there were a certain number that were going to state.
Whether it was raining or not, was not the factor in deciding who would go, but rather the performance. If Canton was among the qualifiers, I am sure they would have done as well on a clear day.

You are right, they do have a good history, especially in the recent past. However, every two years, regardless of how good they are, ohter bands can get better, and you have no way of knowing who they are, or that they are coming to state, also.

#26 futfan

futfan

Hawk Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

Many bands have had good runs.
Argyle has won state their last 3 contests, two were in 2A, and 2 years ago won 3A.
(Saw them in the playoff game @ halftime, they deserved that year)
Hidalgo won 2 before that,
Robinson won 2 before that,
Denver City won at least 3 before that. (taking the title from Robinson in their first.)

Will Canton be able to re-capture?
Gotta wait and see...

Lotta hard working bands out there, not just Canton.
Go play and have fun doing it. You're in the ALAMO DOME!
Good luck to all the bands, and congratulations on having benefitted from the year's hard work.
HAWK NATION

#27 futfan

futfan

Hawk Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

Wish I could've seen Atlanta's show from the home side. PG is looking good. I had hoped the local TV station would have picked the LE North Lamar game to see the Panther Band on tonight.

Have fun in San Antonio!
HAWK NATION

#28 HawkEye

HawkEye

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (foreveraneagle @ Oct 25 2010, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bitter huh? Canton has dominated during the last decade. Hard to argue with three straight state titles and one bronze. I know, new band new students. We'll see next week.

I am trying to remember, didn't Canton go to Natchitoches, LA last year?
I seem to recall Pleasant Grove was Grand Champion there...

#29 GoatFan2011

GoatFan2011

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 05:22 AM

All those Military Bands do is march up and down the field while playing Music. We played Fairfield Friday night and they did a military show and it was rather dull....
QUOTE (TRUE @ Oct 12 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe because all the good bands are located in the east Texas

Well Military Bands

#30 wtlobos

wtlobos

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (GoatFan2011 @ Nov 4 2010, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All those Military Bands do is march up and down the field while playing Music. We played Fairfield Friday night and they did a military show and it was rather dull....

Yes, that's what a marching band does, it marches up and down the field playing music. A good band shouldn't have to rely on dancing and field props to impress the crowd.
"You are not living life if your Oreos are not double stuffed." - Random Stranger

#31 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:25 AM

Must not have seen a really good military band march on the field. Go spend the day at NAMMB this Saturday. You'll see and hear some great bands. Don't be so narrow minded.

QUOTE (wtlobos @ Nov 4 2010, 07:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, that's what a marching band does, it marches up and down the field playing music. A good band shouldn't have to rely on dancing and field props to impress the crowd.

thumbsup.gif

#32 futfan

futfan

Hawk Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

tell ya what, since it seems you have just joined the group, how about going back a few pages in the band forum, and look for any that have something in the title that has Corps vs Military.
Read those threads, cover to cover. It will get you up to date with all the opinions of everyone on here.
Yours are welcome as any, we all love to discuss. I would just ask the favor please, for those who hate to drag it through the mud all over again,go back read all the past discussions about what is "different" (notice I didn't say better) about the styles.
Subjective versus objective is important.
You can like one better, but it doesn't make it better.
maybe more rare, and hard to find good examples, but if you can, go to NAMMB and see. Brownsboro blew me away with their ability, and it was not boring.
FYI, I have been corps style all through college, and love DCI.
I have just learned to appreciate another art form.

Reminds me of a song I heard on the way back from Area C competition...

Free your mind
And the rest will follow

Be color(style) blind
Don't be so shallow.
HAWK NATION

#33 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (futfan @ Nov 5 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
tell ya what, since it seems you have just joined the group, how about going back a few pages in the band forum, and look for any that have something in the title that has Corps vs Military.
Read those threads, cover to cover. It will get you up to date with all the opinions of everyone on here.
Yours are welcome as any, we all love to discuss. I would just ask the favor please, for those who hate to drag it through the mud all over again,go back read all the past discussions about what is "different" (notice I didn't say better) about the styles.
maybe more rare, and hard to find good examples, but if you can, go to NAMMB and see. Brownsboro blew me away with their ability, and it was not boring.

Free your mind
And the rest will follow

Be color(style) blind
Don't be so shallow.

Nicely put. thumbsup.gif

#34 Telstar

Telstar

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (flyinpighats @ Oct 25 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The finals got cancelled!!! If all 10 bands had been given the opportunity to march that 2nd time I think you mihgt be seeing a different group heading to San Antonio!!

If beggars were kings, they'd all ride horses!

#35 LMBRJACKFAN

LMBRJACKFAN

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Gtownof11 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahahahaha ok first of the judges at area are retarded if you honestly think athens and cleveland did better than us then you have issues......and as for marching us off the field....yea I'll start another thread for that one....the only thing yall did better when we visited yall was playing...yall have a horrible bounce and the slowest counter marches I've EVER seen.....but whatever its cool congrats idk who made it past finals though

1. Judges are judges because they've been teaching and doing this for years and years....
2. Athens and Cleveland both did better than you WHICH is why they advanced to the finals, and you DID NOT...
3. WHICH is also why you guys got 3rd place behind spring hill, AND CLEVELAND this past weekend.
4. Go back and look at the break down of where you guys finished at area. Don't know? It was 16th out of 23....so if you wanna be technical you were the 16th best band in 3A AREA C

****Don't take shots at other bands unless you're ready to have yours picked apart***

#36 SHpanther7410

SHpanther7410

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Gtownof11 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahahahaha ok first of the judges at area are retarded if you honestly think athens and cleveland did better than us then you have issues......and as for marching us off the field....yea I'll stahqrt another thread for that one....the only thing yall did better when we visited yall was playing...yall have a horrible bounce and the slowest counter marches I've EVER seen.....but whatever its cool congrats idk who made it past finals though

After seeing g'water perform 3 times, I cannot believe that gladewater could possibly even compare to SH. Other than basing my opinion off of the way the two bands placed at area and NAMMB ( SH finished first while gwater finished 3rd), y'all consistently had people out of step, missed turns, very sloppily played music, and just a plain boring drill.. and as for bouncing and counter-marches, the judges complimented SH on our stride(no bouncing) and also on our turns... you are sadly mistaken sir... SADLY mistaken.

#37 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (TRUE @ Oct 12 2010, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH you are funny my friend we all know that the best bands in conference 3A are the following

Lindale

Henderson

Brownsboro

Athens

Pittsburg

ont="Calibri"][size=3]Cleveland

Spring Hill

notworthy.gif

I dont believe I seen any of these bands at state this year. Im sure they do a good show. Port Isabel has got to be my favorite military band I guess I've ever seen. Corps band are my favorite so you have to believe me when I say that Isabel shocked me when they did their routine. You probably can see it on the tube. I watched Argyle and they didnt do anything for me. Dont get me worng, Argyle is a good band. Bands have to give you chill bumps, impress you, be sharp, Isabel did this to me and I wasnt expecting it.

#38 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (futfan @ Nov 5 2010, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Free your mind
And the rest will follow

Be color(style) blind
Don't be so shallow.

You said a mouthful. I think corps band are more entertaining than the military, but Im not going to get on here a bash any band. Those kids work hard and try to put on a show for the people in the stands. For someone to come on here and put a band down is pretty imature.

#39 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (HitEmHarder @ Oct 25 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Out of 3 to 400 bands in the sate of Texas and Canton places 5th..... I think that is a big deal. Where did your band place.

#40 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:17 AM

Not a state year for 2A.

And for the record...Canton is a GREAT band and one of the best in the state.

And as I said...a little difficult to get excited about a competition cut short because of the weather. It's not personal just an observation. Things might have turned out different if the finals had taken place. Just saying....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users