66 replies to this topic

#41 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:43 PM

Just saying..... Canton has been in the State Finals for the last 14 yrs come rain or shine. Canton has been on the back side of a contest just like the one your talking about, and got in. We dont like it. It doesnt seem fair for the other bands, but then Canton doesnt make the rules. So dont hold anything against Canton for something they cant change. And thanks for the complement . We think they're great also.
QUOTE (HitEmHarder @ Nov 13 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a state year for 2A.

And for the record...Canton is a GREAT band and one of the best in the state.

And as I said...a little difficult to get excited about a competition cut short because of the weather. It's not personal just an observation. Things might have turned out different if the finals had taken place. Just saying....

#42 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Skeeter @ Nov 13 2010, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saying..... Canton has been in the State Finals for the last 14 yrs come rain or shine. Canton has been on the back side of a contest just like the one your talking about, and got in. We dont like it. It doesnt seem fair for the other bands, but then Canton doesnt make the rules. So dont hold anything against Canton for something they cant change. And thanks for the complement . We think they're great also.

Not holding anything against Canton. GREAT BAND! Many other great bands as well. The world of band music doesn't revolve around Canton.

#43 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (HitEmHarder @ Nov 13 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not holding anything against Canton. GREAT BAND! Many other great bands as well. The world of band music doesn't revolve around Canton.

Your right. But then we're talking about marching... Never said anything bout music. I wasnt trying to imply that the world revolves around Canton either. It seems all the threads are talking bout marching.
Not one of the bands in any of the threads made it to state except Brownsboro, Port Isabel,(both military). Brownsboro didnt impress me. Port Isabel blew me away for a military band. The rest of the bands are corps style. There wasnt one corps band that impressed me like Wills Point and Princeton. Someone was making a statement earlier that some other band had won 3yrs straight @ state. Its never been done in the same classification...3a..2a..except for Canton. Now for a band to win 2 @ 2A and then go to 3A and win is a feet in it self. I wished that there was a state classification for just military bands. It might help stop all the arguing.

#44 ETxDirector

ETxDirector

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Skeeter @ Nov 16 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your right. But then we're talking about marching... Never said anything bout music. I wasnt trying to imply that the world revolves around Canton either. It seems all the threads are talking bout marching.
Not one of the bands in any of the threads made it to state except Brownsboro, Port Isabel,(both military). Brownsboro didnt impress me. Port Isabel blew me away for a military band. The rest of the bands are corps style. There wasnt one corps band that impressed me like Wills Point and Princeton. Someone was making a statement earlier that some other band had won 3yrs straight @ state. Its never been done in the same classification...3a..2a..except for Canton. Now for a band to win 2 @ 2A and then go to 3A and win is a feet in it self. I wished that there was a state classification for just military bands. It might help stop all the arguing.

Port Isabel is not a military band... their show was entitled "Perpetual Motion". You have posted before but they are clearly not a military band. Perhaps you are thinking of China Springs who performed right after P.I.?

Canton won their first SMC in 2002 but before that was 3A for many, many years...so they could not have won the SMC in a different classification.

#45 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (futfan @ Oct 27 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many bands have had good runs.
Argyle has won state their last 3 contests, two were in 2A, and 2 years ago won 3A.
(Saw them in the playoff game @ halftime, they deserved that year)
Hidalgo won 2 before that,
Robinson won 2 before that,
Denver City won at least 3 before that. (taking the title from Robinson in their first.)

Will Canton be able to re-capture?
Gotta wait and see...

Lotta hard working bands out there, not just Canton.
Go play and have fun doing it. You're in the ALAMO DOME!
Good luck to all the bands, and congratulations on having benefitted from the year's hard work.

Denver City never won 3 straight....... They've won 3, but not in a row like Canton.
And Argyle hasnt won 3 in a row in the same 3A classification. I like both military & corps. Robinson used to be a mili corps. But they've changed. This year at state they marched corps. They also had a much smaller band then normal. Since they went to 4A for 2 years and then back to 3A, their band got smaller.

#46 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (flyinpighats @ Oct 25 2010, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The finals got cancelled!!! If all 10 bands had been given the opportunity to march that 2nd time I think you mihgt be seeing a different group heading to San Antonio!!

The finals did get canceled, but then any band that marched should know if they are going to get into the finals, they need to march there best in prelims. So dont blame the weather. Any band that got into state was because they marched there best show in prelims. They didnt have any idea that there wasnt going to be a finals. So go cry me a river..........

#47 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (ETxDirector @ Nov 17 2010, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Port Isabel is not a military band... their show was entitled "Perpetual Motion". You have posted before but they are clearly not a military band. Perhaps you are thinking of China Springs who performed right after P.I.?

Canton won their first SMC in 2002 but before that was 3A for many, many years...so they could not have won the SMC in a different classification.

Did you attend state this year? If so, who was the other military band besides Brownboro? It was the first time I had seen Port Isabell and I was sure it was PI who was the other military band.

#48 HitEmHarder

HitEmHarder

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Skeeter @ Nov 16 2010, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who's arguing? No need for a separate "class" for military bands at state. That's ridiculous. NAMMB is the big contest for military bands. PI is NOT military....perhaps you are referring to China Spring per another post.

Folks get all out of sorts when they go up against a military band at marching contest and place behind them in the rankings. That's OK...they just don't get it. It's not about the style, it's about marching and playing. Do both well and you'll get top ratings and advance.

#49 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (ETxDirector @ Nov 17 2010, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could have been China Springs, just not sure. Canton won their 3rd place in 1998, Then won a 2nd place in 2000. This was all in 3A. I think you may have gotten my post confused with me trying to explain that Argyle won state 2 times in 2A and then 2times in 3A. I wasnt trying to refer to Canton being in another class. Since Canton has been competing in mc, they have been in 3A.

#50 SHpanther7410

SHpanther7410

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Skeeter @ Nov 18 2010, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The finals did get canceled, but then any band that marched should know if they are going to get into the finals, they need to march there best in prelims. So dont blame the weather. Any band that got into state was because they marched there best show in prelims. They didnt have any idea that there wasnt going to be a finals. So go cry me a river..........

I strongly believe that the top 4 chosen to go to state could have easily changed... brownsborro and pleasant grove were the final 2 bands to perform and they both made state... I saw bands earlier in the day that could've and probably should've replaced them if they were given a chance in the finals... but the weather didn't allow it. just an unfortunate deal...

#51 Skeeter

Skeeter

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (SHpanther7410 @ Nov 18 2010, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I strongly believe that the top 4 chosen to go to state could have easily changed... brownsborro and pleasant grove were the final 2 bands to perform and they both made state... I saw bands earlier in the day that could've and probably should've replaced them if they were given a chance in the finals... but the weather didn't allow it. just an unfortunate deal...

And Im glad you have an opinion. Some people on here think your not suppose to express it. You know, any band that was there that day could have placed better or worse on any other day, rain or shine. If its not what the judges want, your not getting in. Now Canton marched in a down poor. I wasnt there, but I'm told after Canton marched, the rain stoped. Canton still was one top bands. Now Im going to talk about Canton. Canton has been to, I'll say 15 or more different contest where they are judged with the 5A bands. This is not to advance to some other bigger contest. Canton may win or may come in 2nd or 3rd, or maybe 4th. Now I think thats pretty good when your competing against some big bands and still up there in the top. Im talking Desoto, Berkner, Copell, Keller Fossel Ridge,Poteet. The bands can look and see what there doing wrong. Compare sound, feet. Your supposed to learn when you go to these contest. Not just win, or loose. Get something out of everyones performance. Back when I was marching for Mesquite (Military) in the early 70"s. We march at the Lake Highlands Stadium in Richardson. Lake Highlands was one of the last band to compete for the day. They march to several of Warner Bro. Cartoon songs. Disneys songs. and when the band was 1/2 way through there show, the whole stadium stood up and yelled and roared. They where impressive. Mesquite got a 1. But so did a lot of other bands. Thats what I guess Im trying to say. You can get a lot out of a competition other than just a 1 rating.

#52 GoatFan2011

GoatFan2011

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:45 AM

I'm not saying we're the best out there but we're definitely the most improved in such a short time. smile.gif

Groesbeck High School G-Force Marching band. Definitely the most improved in a short time going from 1,2,3 to 112 at Regional Marching then coming back from 122 111 concert/sight-reading to owning the competition by setting a standard of straight ones that only one band was able to match. smile.gif

#53 BeezieBRO

BeezieBRO

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

look at the facts... North Lamar and Argyle

#54 futfan

futfan

Hawk Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • Twitter:#PGHawks

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

look at the facts... North Lamar and Argyle

For this past year, yes. First and Second.
Overall, I'd have to say Argyle and Canton have been more consistently in the top rankings.

Some bands have had success in the recent years due to good "crops" of band students,
while the bands which have long term success usually have good programs / directors,
including the middle school feeder program.

Some bands go throught cycles, have off and on years.
Not always coinciding with state years, either.

I saw N. Lamars's show, and really enjoyed it.
Atlanta had a good show, but cut down the field size with their props, too distracting for me.
P.G. had another good year, 2nd at Region, not well at state.

New Boston and QC are not 3A, but examples of good programs.
Lots of good talent in the area...

Looking forward to the Panther's show on Senior night.
HAWK NATION

#55 Lion70

Lion70

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,573 posts
  • Interests:My beautiful daughter Jayda Lynn and my lovely wife Meghan
    Highschool football
    Henderson Lions 3A Division1 State Champions 2010
    Texas Aggies, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers,Dallas Mavs

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

I like Henderson but I am biased. I like Marching bands way better and henderson has looked the best.

#56 BeezieBRO

BeezieBRO

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

For this past year, yes. First and Second.
Overall, I'd have to say Argyle and Canton have been more consistently in the top rankings.

Some bands have had success in the recent years due to good "crops" of band students,
while the bands which have long term success usually have good programs / directors,
including the middle school feeder program.

Some bands go throught cycles, have off and on years.
Not always coinciding with state years, either.

I saw N. Lamars's show, and really enjoyed it.
Atlanta had a good show, but cut down the field size with their props, too distracting for me.
P.G. had another good year, 2nd at Region, not well at state.

New Boston and QC are not 3A, but examples of good programs.
Lots of good talent in the area...

Looking forward to the Panther's show on Senior night.

Yeah, but your thinking on marching terms. North Lamar is the '3a state Honor Band' & 2nd place winner in 3a state marching competition. Certainly can't argue with those results!

#57 futfan

futfan

Hawk Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,092 posts
  • Twitter:#PGHawks

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, but your thinking on marching terms. North Lamar is the '3a state Honor Band' & 2nd place winner in 3a state marching competition. Certainly can't argue with those results!

Most of us that no longer have someone IN band,
do not get to see the Concert band side of other programs.
Good Point.

:coolio:
HAWK NATION

#58 BEAST12

BEAST12

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (TRUE @ Oct 12 2010, 09:06 AM) HAHAHAHAHAHAAH you are funny my friend we all know that the best bands in conference 3A are the following

Lindale

Henderson

Brownsboro

Athens

Pittsburg

Cleveland

Spring Hill

Posted Image
Canton is by far superior than any above mentioned bands. I guess they are okay for military - but that's a dying art. Canton will be at state again - 3 straight titles and one third place in the last ten years. They want it again and it looking good for this year.

GO EAGLE BAND!!!!!!!!!

BROOKSHIRE ROYAL HAS THE BEST 3A BAND

#59 foreveraneagle

foreveraneagle

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

BROOKSHIRE ROYAL HAS THE BEST 3A BAND

My post was back in 2010, but that doesn't matter they still are the best.

#60 Paradox

Paradox

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

Not a problem.

The judges seemed to like it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users