56 replies to this topic

#21 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Hallsville is trying to be competitive... they haven't been as blessed at Texas High is. Pine Tree is about 2 girls deep and one guy deep. They have a pretty good guys team just young.. I expect them to compete next year.

Has Hallsville added courts? Couple years back it seemed like they had only 3 or 4 courts.

#22 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

I concur. Tennis is a strange sport in that you get better by getting beat. If you aren't getting beat then you aren't challenging yourself to get to the next level.

Everyone in 14-4A is getting beat on their nondistrict schedule. They just don't have to travel as far as Texas High. The good 3A schools(Center, Van, Lindale, and Wills Point)and 5A schools (Tyler Lee and Longview) have been undefeated against several teams in this district.

#23 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

Has Hallsville added courts? Couple years back it seemed like they had only 3 or 4 courts.

They only have 3 courts, and don't play any district matches at home. They are building a new high school, and there is supposed to be a new tennis complex built with it.

#24 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

It is odd to see Pine Tree being down. Are kids transferring to Longview?

I think that the numbers at Pine Tree have not been good. Not having a middle school program, it seems like the success of the team is dependent on how many kids are taking private lessons. Longview does seem to have things going pretty good, at least on the boys side. Their coach seems to be doing a good job, and it helps that Chris Blair is using their courts to give lessons on, as well as his camps. I think many of the Longview kids are working with Chris. I have not heard of any kids going from PT to Longview.

#25 CoachPelvisPresley

CoachPelvisPresley

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:06 AM

I think that the numbers at Pine Tree have not been good. Not having a middle school program, it seems like the success of the team is dependent on how many kids are taking private lessons. Longview does seem to have things going pretty good, at least on the boys side. Their coach seems to be doing a good job, and it helps that Chris Blair is using their courts to give lessons on, as well as his camps. I think many of the Longview kids are working with Chris. I have not heard of any kids going from PT to Longview.

That and Coach Anders being a real talented "go getter"...it's been a great situation...plus a beautiful new faciility.

#26 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

On Hallsville - I am surprised they are doing as well as they have with 3 courts. Hard to get enough "court time" with a limited number of courts.

I forgot Anders landed a Longview. He is a quality coach and their program should improve if the administration supports his program. I agree they have nice courts.

#27 LTD

LTD

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

On Hallsville - I am surprised they are doing as well as they have with 3 courts. Hard to get enough "court time" with a limited number of courts.

I forgot Anders landed a Longview. He is a quality coach and their program should improve if the administration supports his program. I agree they have nice courts.

Hallsville coach preaches and so should every coach.... it's not what the kids do at practice... it's what they do when they are on their own. I'm sure... they do as much as they can do at practice with only three courts.

#28 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Hallsville coach preaches and so should every coach.... it's not what the kids do at practice... it's what they do when they are on their own. I'm sure... they do as much as they can do at practice with only three courts.

I agree with the "preaching" to a point. Most of the top players at Texas High have private coaches and are involved in USTA (Arkansas - why no one in Texas knows them). However coach Watson develops a few players out of the "numbers" that take tennis in middle school. Texas High has 11 courts (3 covered). During varsity practice everyone can be on the court and get work in.

Don't get me wrong I am impressed with what Hallsville has done with 3 courts. Most school with a program have at least 6 courts, and 8 courts is not uncommon. With their program improving, I hope that is in the works with the new school.

#29 LTD

LTD

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:12 PM

I agree with the "preaching" to a point. Most of the top players at Texas High have private coaches and are involved in USTA (Arkansas - why no one in Texas knows them). However coach Watson develops a few players out of the "numbers" that take tennis in middle school. Texas High has 11 courts (3 covered). During varsity practice everyone can be on the court and get work in.

Don't get me wrong I am impressed with what Hallsville has done with 3 courts. Most school with a program have at least 6 courts, and 8 courts is not uncommon. With their program improving, I hope that is in the works with the new school.

Hallsville should have 8 new courts with the high school... but they are in need of a middle school program.. they have kids picking up rackets for the first in the 9th,10th, and 11th grade.

#30 CoachPelvisPresley

CoachPelvisPresley

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Hallsville should have 8 new courts with the high school... but they are in need of a middle school program.. they have kids picking up rackets for the first in the 9th,10th, and 11th grade.

Coach Haney is very competitive and that will rub off on the kids...he's very talented.

#31 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:59 AM

"weakest district champion that this district had seen in a VERY long time"?? Hallsville is currently 4-0, usually when a team is undefeated it means that there is something special going for them. Whoever you are, I can see that you have no respect for Hallsville. Hallsville has never had a successful tennis program, and this year they've changed that. C'mon man, you dogged on Hallsville's tennis team last fall as well.. What do you have against Hallsville? Your arguement would be better if Hallsville was to win district with a 4-3 record, but undefeated? You can't argue about an undefeated team!

I also should add that Hallsville would not be undefeated without the obvious stacking of their girls doubles. Whitehouse would have won that match 10-9, if Hallsville wasn't stacking. I've never heard of a #7 girl, who is a first year player, playing #1 doubles. Dirty....would be the reputation that Hallsville is earning itself these days. Congrats on stacking your way to the top!

#32 LTD

LTD

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:26 AM

I also should add that Hallsville would not be undefeated without the obvious stacking of their girls doubles. Whitehouse would have won that match 10-9, if Hallsville wasn't stacking. I've never heard of a #7 girl, who is a first year player, playing #1 doubles. Dirty....would be the reputation that Hallsville is earning itself these days. Congrats on stacking your way to the top!

This is funny. Also, if both the #1 kids from Whitehouse would have won the team would have won. Hallsville's 5 guy from last year beat the #1 guy.
4,5,6,7,8 girl all first year players. It was a great match to watch as a spectator. It seemed like Hallsville's kids wanted to win the match more than them. In close matches it's who gets the job done in crunch time and can handle the pressure.

1 girl is in mix.
2 girl is in 1 doubles.
3 girl is in 3 doubles.

2 and 7
4 and 6
3 and 5

All three teams are equal.

#33 LTD

LTD

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

This is funny. Also, if both the #1 kids from Whitehouse would have won the team would have won. Hallsville's 5 guy from last year beat the #1 guy.
4,5,6,7,8 girl all first year players. It was a great match to watch as a spectator. It seemed like Hallsville's kids wanted to win the match more than them. In close matches it's who gets the job done in crunch time and can handle the pressure.

1 girl is in mix.
2 girl is in 1 doubles.
3 girl is in 3 doubles.

2 and 7
4 and 6
3 and 5

All three teams are equal.

I know that the NAC coach thought Hallsville boys #2 team was better than the 1 team. BC they had bigger serves and bigger games. I'm pretty sure that the #1 team has a better record than the # 2 team throughout the year. I saw that Kilgore put their 1 guy at 2 singles against Hallsville and he has played one pretty much every match but that one. Also, Kilgore put their better boys doubles team at 2... Hallsville didn't complain about stacking they just got the job done. Hallsville has worked very hard the last 2 years coming off a 1-6 season. Can you give them some credit? They def deserve some credit.

#34 GloryDays

GloryDays

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

Hallsville's #3 girls doubles lost to #1 girls doubles today in a challenge match. The reason the #7 girl is playing #1 doubles is because she can't play singles and she can play doubles. You don't have a point..

#35 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

I know that the NAC coach thought Hallsville boys #2 team was better than the 1 team. BC they had bigger serves and bigger games. I'm pretty sure that the #1 team has a better record than the # 2 team throughout the year. I saw that Kilgore put their 1 guy at 2 singles against Hallsville and he has played one pretty much every match but that one. Also, Kilgore put their better boys doubles team at 2... Hallsville didn't complain about stacking they just got the job done. Hallsville has worked very hard the last 2 years coming off a 1-6 season. Can you give them some credit? They def deserve some credit.

Not sure why Kilgore is getting dragged into this, but you are totally wrong. Kilgore's #1 guy has been the #1 guy since right before Kilgore played Hallsville. He has been there ever since. Your doubles assumption is wrong also. I do agree that putting a #7 player in #1 doubles is very extreme. You sometimes see a 4 or 5 playing in it, if a 1-3 is in mixed, but rarely anything lower than that. Hallsville does have a pretty solid boys team, and the top girl is playing well. Not sure why my other post got yanked. I guess I touched on a sensitive topic.

#36 LTD

LTD

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:58 PM

Not sure why Kilgore is getting dragged into this, but you are totally wrong. Kilgore's #1 guy has been the #1 guy since right before Kilgore played Hallsville. He has been there ever since. Your doubles assumption is wrong also. I do agree that putting a #7 player in #1 doubles is very extreme. You sometimes see a 4 or 5 playing in it, if a 1-3 is in mixed, but rarely anything lower than that. Hallsville does have a pretty solid boys team, and the top girl is playing well. Not sure why my other post got yanked. I guess I touched on a sensitive topic.

Kilgore is a great team. Bottom line. Coach Maroney does a great job year in and year out.

#37 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Kilgore is a great team. Bottom line. Coach Maroney does a great job year in and year out.

I think all the coaches in Kilgore do a good job. Mr. Sneed always seems to have a ton of kids trying out for tennis. Coach Maroney has had a lot of district success. He keeps the kids busy all year long, and they play a tough schedule every year. I guarantee that no one would have guessed Kilgore would have been 14-2 in district when they lost so much from that team a couple of years ago. Jacksonville seems to be having similar success after what they lost last year.

#38 LTD

LTD

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

I think all the coaches in Kilgore do a good job. Mr. Sneed always seems to have a ton of kids trying out for tennis. Coach Maroney has had a lot of district success. He keeps the kids busy all year long, and they play a tough schedule every year. I guarantee that no one would have guessed Kilgore would have been 14-2 in district when they lost so much from that team a couple of years ago. Jacksonville seems to be having similar success after what they lost last year.

All true!! Keep up the good work Jacksonville and Kilgore!! If Hallsville does win Tuesday... Who do you think will be the other team to advance?

#39 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hallsville's #3 girls doubles lost to #1 girls doubles today in a challenge match. The reason the #7 girl is playing #1 doubles is because she can't play singles and she can play doubles. You don't have a point..

Yeah..ok. The only way that the #1 team could beat the #2 or #3 team would be if the 2 and 3 team were holding the head of the racquet and hitting with the handle. Not even close.

#40 Bulldogtennis

Bulldogtennis

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:49 PM

All true!! Keep up the good work Jacksonville and Kilgore!! If Hallsville does win Tuesday... Who do you think will be the other team to advance?

I think most would assume that Kilgore, Jacksonville, or Whitehouse would get the #2 spot. I think it is a toss up. Whitehouse has lost to Kilgore and Jacksonville, but they are the most experienced team. Kilgore is mostly underclassmen, and Jacksonville has a lot of 1st year varsity players.

LOL postnup247. I do agree with you. That #1 team was very weak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users