Former QB Stump Godfrey

New Mexico announced sophomore QB Stump Godfrey was granted a conditional release from the program. This report is coming from todays paper Dallas Morning News. They give no reason or any other information regarding the conditional release. I do know that Stump from what little I saw of him playing in High School is a great athlete.

I do know that it is a long way from East TX to New Mexico and that makes it awfully hard for many kids and their families. I have no information if this was an issue with Stump. I do wonder if we might see him back in Texas playing at one of the smaller programs.

hawaii is D1 so why sit out a year and play @ a local small college. Small college or not you can get into a big program. Ex: Cam Newton

Great talent as long is he doesn't watse it !

What are you talking about?!?

hawaii is D1 so why sit out a year and play @ a local small college. Small college or not you can get into a big program. Ex: Cam Newton

Great talent as long is he doesn't watse it !

He won't waste a year of eligibility if he goes to Hawaii and sits a year. He should still have a redshirt year to use. That would give him 3 years to play at a D1 after sitting this year.

The New Mexico quarterback situation became more clear today as Stump Godfrey decided to transfer. Godfrey is eligible to transfer to any non-Mountain West or anyone on the future Lobo schedule through 2015.

Those banned schools include:

Air Force

Colorado State

Hawaii

UNLV

Wyoming

Nevada

Fresno State

Boise State

San Diego State

Texas Tech

New Mexico State

Texas

UTEP

Arizona State

So that is not too many schools to be restricted from, but expect Godfrey to got to a school in the state of Texas where he is from.

I would love for him to go to a school a little closer to home so we could afford to see him play. I never missed a game when he was playing at Gilmer. Watching these kids grow up is amazing. Especially if you can see them play at the next level

Ditto!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is my understanding that the NCAA ruled New Mexico could not make stipulation on where he would attend school

I just heard yesterday from one of his family members that he is headed to Hawaii. As you stated, NCAA explained that New Mexico cannot make the rules on where his is to going to school. Being from Gilmer, I was a little bummed out when i heard he had left their program. But, I was also bummed for him even choosing them in the first place. He is a winner and I hope he makes the best of his talent and ability for Hawaii. Hopefully they see the young man the way we did watching him grow up. We from Gilmer know how much of a special player and leader he is