6 replies to this topic

#1 scottmyers39

scottmyers39

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:24 PM

Story at CBS Sports this afternoon reports the 67-year-old former heavyweight champion is in hospice care and that doctors haven't told him how long he has to live. Sad story, folks.

#2 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

In some ways I liked "Smokin' Joe", and other ways I didn't. He was one of the greatest boxers that I have ever seen. I still think the 70's were the greatest days of boxing, because of him, Ali, and Foreman in the Heavyweight Class. That doesn't count the lower classes. He helped immortalize the movie "Rocky" with his cameo appearance. I wish that he and Ali would patch things up, because they were once good friends, until a trip to New York. I remember when he was on Smoaky back in 1996, and I'd love to hear David's interview with him again. I hate to hear that he maybe passing soon. He truly is the loss of an era for me.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#3 shoelessjoelives

shoelessjoelives

THE PRIDE OF LSU SPORTS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:02 AM

Who can ever forget the Ali-Frazier matchups. Never forget those boxing classics !! Ali, Frazier and spice that up with Howard Cosell and there was the big show like Barnum and Bailey......"Step right up !!"
"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, it part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that is good, and all that could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come."............Terence Mann

#4 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,272 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:41 AM

R.I.P. Smokin' Joe

#5 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

Farewell Joe, you will be missed. Joe was one of the greatest fighters that I have ever seen in the ring. I realize he was bitter years after, but that doesn't take anything away from his legacy. He will always be remembered by boxing aficionados as one of the greatest that ever put the gloves on.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#6 AllAboardNextStopHeaven

AllAboardNextStopHeaven

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

most viscious left hook of any human being ever. how does one generate this much power and precision with
an off hand?

welcome aboard smokin joe.

#7 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  • Interests:Ramona Suarez, Bird-dogs, football formations

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Sorry you had to go Joe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic