19 replies to this topic

#1 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

By Richard Durrett

MichaelDean Chadwick, Josh Hamilton's father-in-law, likes to describe his new role with a golf metaphor.

"When Josh's golf ball goes out in the woods, I want to be the guy that helps him find it so no one wanders too far off the fairway," Chadwick said by phone Friday morning, a day after the Rangers announced he was hired as a staff assistant, taking over part of the role that Johnny Narron handled since Hamilton was traded to Texas prior to the 2008 season. "And by the way, we all need that guy."

Chadwick has a unique relationship with Hamilton that goes beyond merely being an in-law. Hamilton, as he writes in his 2008 book "Beyond Belief," showed up at Chadwick's door in September 2003, struggling to get a hold of his life. Chadwick, who battled drug addiction early in his life, listened to Hamilton's story and was honest and straightforward with him, as Hamilton notes in the book.

"I took a look at him and I knew how bad a shape he was in," Chadwick said. "I wasnít sure how much of what he told me was true, but I knew if any of it was true, I couldn't let him leave. He'd been through something like eight rehabs and was down probably 70 or 80 pounds. I talked to my wife and we knew we couldn't let him go. The only way to get Josh back was to love him back."

That's how Hamilton got to know his future wife, Katie, too.

"She rocked his world," Chadwick said. "He married a tough broad, I can tell you that. Katie has seen her mom and dad -- and we've been married 35 years -- go through some tough things. I came home twice saying we'd lost the house today. When you're a homebuilder, you go through big highs and big lows. She's buried her brother [Michael was 8 years old and hit by a car crossing the street at a wedding in 1992]. She's seen her father when he was the worst husband ever. Sheís amazing.Ē

Chadwick is convinced that Julia, Hamilton's first daughter, helped him survive some of the toughest parts of his life.

"I'll go to my grave believing Julia saved that boy's life," Chadwick said. "No matter how bad it got, he was always so careful around her. He was thinking about her."

Chadwick is proud of how far Hamilton has come and how strong his faith has become.

"When man gets out of the way and lets God fix it, I know how successful God can be," Chadwick said. "It's an amazing thing."

Chadwick is looking forward to spending more time with Hamilton, as he will travel on the road with the club.

"This isnít just about Josh," Chadwick said. "I take care of anybody in my family, it doesn't matter who it is. This particular opportunity is not foreign to me at all. I already do this. I told him that. I canít help Josh on the baseball field, but Iím going to keep us between the lines and make sure nobody else gets in between the lines that shouldnít be there. Iím sure Iíll build some friendships along the way. I already know some guys on the team and I want to get to know more of them."

Chadwick said he told Rangers general manager Jon Daniels recently that Hamilton still hasn't reached his peak as a player.

"I told him the best of Josh Hamilton is still to come. And if I were you, I'd stick around and watch," Chadwick said. "I was with him last week and the life inside of him is real and fun. It was 1 a.m. and I walked outside and he was smiling, saying he'd just had the greatest workout.

"Watch him before a game. Every time he takes a ball and signs it or pats a kid on the head, he's saying thanks for being here. He knows that kids are looking up to him and he does not take it lightly. It's a genuine sincerity. It's a gift. It's a part of him. He has so much to be grateful for and he knows it. That's the best part."

#2 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

That is telling us how much Josh means to the Rangers I think, and that is telling us Josh will be a part of the Rangers for years to come. I can just hope. To hear him tell his faith and story is really neat. Many people fall off the top when given all that money at a young age with no path. I have the upmost respect Josh, and mostly the Rangers trying to help the man stay true to his word, because it I am sure, a daily struggle

#3 Ratface

Ratface

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

Even by his lofty standards, I look for Josh to have an absolutely monster 2012. Is it time yet for pitchers and catchers to report to Surprise? Mid-February can't get here quick enough!
"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end, it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."
--Jim Bouton--

#4 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

This doesn't sound like a good decision to me at all. In fact, I think it's a little weird.
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#5 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

This doesn't sound like a good decision to me at all. In fact, I think it's a little weird.

A little weird????????? What about what the Pats did as soon as denver won their playoff game???

To bring in someone to replace someone that had the same job pretty much is not weird......plus if you invest in a car or house- you going to get stuff to protect it aren't you??

I grew up with a recovering addict and IT IS AN EVERYDAY STRUGGLE to stay on the right path.

Im sure for an athlete it is really hard being around it everyday......most clubs let alcohol in the clubs after games......thank goodness he didn't play for boston

Posted Image

#6 WildcatsRule

WildcatsRule

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

It is a little weird that the Rangers hired Hambone's father in-law. Sets a bad precedent. What happens when Michael Young's dad needs a job?

#7 Mavgrad98

Mavgrad98

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure Josh's or Michael's father-in-law or father doesn't really "needs" a job.
"Clear eyes and full hearts cant lose."

Coach Taylor-Friday Night Lights

#8 WildcatsRule

WildcatsRule

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

And I'm pretty sure they can afford to hire their own assistant/handler, but a perk is a perk.

#9 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

A little weird????????? What about what the Pats did as soon as denver won their playoff game???

I have no idea how that is even related.
And I still thinks its strange to hire somebody's father-in-law as a keeper. Hamilton is a rich guy. There are lots of guys in professional sports with substance abuse problems. I don't think it should be up to the club to hire somebody to watch one person. Of course personal responsibility left our world a long time ago. My opinion is not against Josh Hamilton. I think this is just all together strange....and it tells me that the club is very worried.
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#10 Mavgrad98

Mavgrad98

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Josh has a problem that he will fight his entire life. (remember what happened in early 2010 when he thought he was far enough removed from his drug and alcohol abuse that he could be out on his own) His father-in-law was very involved in his sobriety. If it weren't for him, there's no telling where Josh would be today. Not weird to me...especially when he's had a chaperone the entire time he's been with the club.
"Clear eyes and full hearts cant lose."

Coach Taylor-Friday Night Lights

#11 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

Maybe it will work out. My concern is that the club is paying his father-in-law. Who do you think he's working to protect ?? I know you will say both, but where do you think his true loyalty lies? That's my problem with it
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#12 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:11 AM

Maybe it will work out. My concern is that the club is paying his father-in-law. Who do you think he's working to protect ?? I know you will say both, but where do you think his true loyalty lies? That's my problem with it

His loyalty is to Josh and HIS employer- the Texas Rangers. Josh is loyal to the Texas Rangers and his father in law that saved his life and helped him back on the path with Christ.

I bet you the club house of the Texas Rangers SEE NO PROBLEM IN IT if when to celebrate going to the World Series they do like no other team and pull out the Ginger ale???????

Posted Image

THAT'S
why I don't have a problem with it!!

#13 WildcatsRule

WildcatsRule

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Don't kid yourself. Champagne and beer was enjoyed in the clubhouse shortly after that photo was taken, just like the Red Sox. Reports indicate Hambone and CJ did not attend.

#14 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Don't kid yourself. Champagne and beer was enjoyed in the clubhouse shortly after that photo was taken, just like the Red Sox. Reports indicate Hambone and CJ did not attend.

Oh ok wise one, I know that, it was to show respect and to show that they care for them as people not just ballplayers!!!!!!!!!

Saying that there is no problem hiring someone to replace someone that had a job to help out josh...............

#15 WildcatsRule

WildcatsRule

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

When these ballplayers give hometown discounts to the Rangers during contract negotiations, I'll buy it......

#16 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

When these ballplayers give hometown discounts to the Rangers during contract negotiations, I'll buy it......

Josh and CJ did go into the locker and attend, I saw them get their glasses. Sure they didn't stay to long.
Why do people not think it is ok. You got alot of money in him and hope he is around for more years to come, You can't tell me yall wouldn't make sure you top investment is taken care of.

#17 WildcatsRule

WildcatsRule

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

I think a handler for Josh is great. Just weird that the Rangers hired someone in his family.

#18 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

I think a handler for Josh is great. Just weird that the Rangers hired someone in his family.

Thats kind of my sentiment. Its good that they got someone Josh is comfortable. However,IF something were to happen to either one thats going to be a tricky situation when family is involved.

#19 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

That's the only reason I think it's strange. There is a very real possibility of a conflict of interest.
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#20 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Looks like Josh's f-i-l has changed his mind due to "family considerations". May be a good move.

Richard Durrett [ARCHIVE]
ESPNDallas.com | January 16, 2012
Josh Hamilton's father-in-law, Michael Dean Chadwick, decided not to accept the position as Hamilton's accountability partner due to "family considerations," the Texas Rangers announced Monday afternoon.

The club and the Hamiltons are discussing other options, but nothing has been decided yet.

The Rangers announced last week that Chadwick would take over that role, which was previously handled by Johnny Narron, who was also an assistant hitting coach with the team. Narron left this offseason to become hitting coach of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Chadwick said Monday that it was "heartbreaking" to call Hamilton and tell him he couldn't take the job, but said he felt like he couldn't leave his family in North Carolina and travel with the Rangers and Hamilton for the 2012 season. He also believes that Hamilton doesn't need an accountability partner right now. But a source said Hamilton will have one for the 2012 season, it just hasn't been determined who yet.

"It was a tough, tough deal," Chadwick said. "I let my heart get away with me. I wanted to go and be there for Josh. But I've got a 17-year-old daughter at home that needs me too, and I'm a home builder and have a company here. I sort of put the cart before the horse. It was heartbreaking to call them and say, 'Guys, I can't do it.' "

Hamilton, who has struggled with alcohol and drug addictions, did say the past few days that he didn't feel he needed an accountability partner and even the club has conceded that Hamilton is in a different place now than he was when he was traded to Texas from Cincinnati prior to the 2008 season. When that trade was made, Narron also came over with Hamilton to watch over him on the road.

"I feel like I was fine to not have anybody, but at the same time, if it helps confidence with the organization to have somebody or Major League Baseball to have somebody, helps their confidence in me, than I'm all for it," Hamilton said Thursday.

Chadwick was a big part of Hamilton's past, helping him get on a better path and recover from his drug and alcohol addiction early in his career.

"I think he's got that tiger by the tail," Chadwick said Monday. "If him and I could be together, it would be awesome because we get along so well. And if I thought that was the case that he would be in some sort of danger, I'd really reconsider."

Richard Durrett covers the Rangers for ESPNDallas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users