Photo

Is golf reely a sport?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Wat iz you'r opiniun? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Golf iz or iznt a sport

1. Golf iz a sport (25 votes [59.52%])

Percentage of vote: 59.52%

2. Golf aint no sport (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Golf is almost a sport but has no pass rush (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Golf aint even close to a sport (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Interests:Secret service procedure, Interpol limitations
    GOP convention, electronic detonation
    C-4, customs protocal

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Try playing 36 holes (two rounds) in one day walking and carrying your clubs in 90+ degrees and breaking 80 both times. Pretty demanding physically.

Yu no thay got golfin cadies an the girlzs do the golfin to. Come on man golfin aint lyke the ironman or cage restlin! Not a sport no way. Tru story. None of us own my job does golfin cause we workers. So i no that Haysead rides a golfn cart at his plant wear he works. I ask him about golfn but he says that he works a job two but dont golf. But Haysead has a boy at the plant wear he wurks that dont have no bodie hare and wears pink and peach clothes that golfs and keepz thay computers own line. He is only one person out of 46 workers we servayed that says golf-iz-a -sport. So i tolld Haysead to tell him to sea if anybodie had "a set" that golfd , Haysead calls back and says the fella volunteerd to check em all! Yukkkkkk

#22 4thekids

4thekids

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yu no thay got golfin cadies an the girlzs do the golfin to. Come on man golfin aint lyke the ironman or cage restlin! Not a sport no way. Tru story. None of us own my job does golfin cause we workers. So i no that Haysead rides a golfn cart at his plant wear he works. I ask him about golfn but he says that he works a job two but dont golf. But Haysead has a boy at the plant wear he wurks that dont have no bodie hare and wears pink and peach clothes that golfs and keepz thay computers own line. He is only one person out of 46 workers we servayed that says golf-iz-a -sport. So i tolld Haysead to tell him to sea if anybodie had "a set" that golfd , Haysead calls back and says the fella volunteerd to check em all! Yukkkkkk

[b]OMG[/b].............................................rofl!

#23 Hayseed

Hayseed

Backwater Sportswriter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

^......................^^................... you folks aint right, leave the golfers alone please. XD

#24 postnup247

postnup247

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:32 AM

I put Golf in the third tier of sports right next to Nascar and bowling.

Other than the pitcher and catcher, you can throw baseball in this category as well. Not much exercise going on in baseball. I would bet a golfer playing 18 holes would burn more calories than most of the players on a baseball team.

#25 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,714 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Other than the pitcher and catcher, you can throw baseball in this category as well. Not much exercise going on in baseball. I would bet a golfer playing 18 holes would burn more calories than most of the players on a baseball team.

I'll admit that I've only played 3 rounds of golf in my lifetime. Baseball although it does have it's down time burns more calories depending on the position that you play. I've said this before, in the words of Mark Twain "Golf is a good walk spoiled".
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#26 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
    C-4, customs protocal

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'll admit that I've only played 3 rounds of golf in my lifetime. Baseball although it does have it's down time burns more calories depending on the position that you play. I've said this before, in the words of Mark Twain "Golf is a good walk spoiled".

Butt if yu luuk at it this way, unlyke pin ball the worst you are in golf the more playin tyme you git. Tru story.

#27 68Hornet

68Hornet

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

What a stupid question.

#28 TXKFan2012

TXKFan2012

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

This doomer character is obviously pulling everyone's leg.

There's no way someone would type that poorly in 2012.

#29 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Butt if yu luuk at it this way, unlyke pin ball the worst you are in golf the more playin tyme you git. Tru story.

Do I get to bring my frog gigger and fishing pole for the water hazards ?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

#30 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,714 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

This doomer character is obviously pulling everyone's leg.

Doomers using that new fangled texting language that's out there.

#31 sackem

sackem

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yes golf is a sport. It is Spring Hill answer to BRF question Why can not a school be good at one sport. Spring Hill has golf and winnsboro has girls BB.

#32 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
    C-4, customs protocal

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Nataly Gulbus sayz golf iz a sport. Sew i take her work fore it. Golf iz a sport. Tru storie.
Posted Image

#33 HawkEye

HawkEye

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

1330029334[/url]' post='1689074']

I ain't sene menee erurz win persun cud writ, n'less it twer da guzett.

#34 68Hornet

68Hornet

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

If you're one of the few who believe golf is not a sport, I suggest you go to the Ryder Cup Matches. It might change your mind.

#35 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,838 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

I played golf once

He once said wisely: "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. Winston Churchill

#36 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
    C-4, customs protocal

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

If you're one of the few who believe golf is not a sport, I suggest you go to the Ryder Cup Matches. It might change your mind.

I went an i seen alot of rich folks in Mercedes and Roll's and they was wearin rolex's and they drank brandie n scotch at the club. They wore them pink n peach coloerd shirts an pants. Still cant picture any of em posting up in front of Lebron James or blitzing thru the A-gap against the Atlanta Falcans Offese-line. I say send them out on that Alaska dog-sled race and see if one lives, if they do then: Golfs a sport. Tru storie.

#37 Bilbo

Bilbo

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Golf is an activity... much like Darts. It's posted in the Sports pages of the newspapers just because they do not have an Activity Page.

There are arguements both for and again'st but I submit that a sport requires aerobic activity of some such.

My 275 lb Grandfather and his like physical condition friends played every three days or so and in now way shape or form were they athletes!

#38 topher805

topher805

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Twitter:@cboothe85

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

I don't know if you call golf a sport, but the professionals are becoming more and more athletes in today's game. Used to be the pros would finish their round and then head to the clubhouse for a round of drinks. A lot of beer guts and out of shape guys playing (John Daly).
When Tiger came onto the scene, he showed that golfers can be fine tuned athletes. Now we are seeing more golfers like Rory McIlroy and some of the other young guys more in shape and much more athletic.

#39 Bilbo

Bilbo

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I don't know if you call golf a sport, but the professionals are becoming more and more athletes in today's game. Used to be the pros would finish their round and then head to the clubhouse for a round of drinks. A lot of beer guts and out of shape guys playing (John Daly).
When Tiger came onto the scene, he showed that golfers can be fine tuned athletes. Now we are seeing more golfers like Rory McIlroy and some of the other young guys more in shape and much more athletic.

I realize that Tiger and Rory walk the course instead of driving like 99% of golf "athletes", but let me ask you this topher805... Is Fishing a sport? It is also posted in the Sports Page of the newspaper.

I submit that when I tightline off of my dock for catfish that is not a sport, yet when a fellow fights a Blue Fin Tuna for 2.5 hours that requires aerobic stamina unlike either Mr. Woods or Mr. McIlroy exert all year in golf tourneys.

Your Thoughts?

#40 topher805

topher805

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts
  • Twitter:@cboothe85

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I personally think of it more of an outdoor activity, but when you put it like that, I guess it all depends on the level in which you are competing. I can sit on a pier all day with a folding chair and a cooler full of drinks,and obviously that isn't very sporting. On the other hand, some of these trophy fishermen stay pretty fit and healthy to reel in some of these monster fish that take 2.5 hours to bring in.
As for golfers like Tiger and Rory, they have strict workout routines that help them get the most out of their swings. I think they said during his hey-day Tiger was benching over 300 pounds. Now me, the closest I'm coming to benching 300 pounds, is standing up after sitting on a bench...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users