JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

http://latimesblogs....blog (L.A. Now)

A decorated Marine who was fatally shot by an Orange County sheriff's deputy in a high school parking lot was described as a deeply religious man who regularly went to the campus track with his young daughters for early-morning prayer walks.Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr.was shot to death during the predawn hours Tuesday under largely unexplained circumstances in a parking lot at San Clemente High School. Loggins' daughters, 9 and 14, were sitting nearby in the family SUV at the time of the shooting.

Loggins, who was based at Camp Pendleton, was driving "at a high rate of speed" when he crashed his Yukon SUV through a gate at the parking lot about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, said sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.

A nearby deputy who'd been doing paperwork in his patrol car pulled up behind the Yukon. Loggins emerged from the SUV and headed toward the athletic field, apparently ignoring the deputy's orders to stop, Amormino said.

When Loggins turned and headed back to the Yukon, the deputy suddenly felt threatened and opened fire, Amormino said. Amormino said he did not know why the deputy felt threatened, or how many shots were fired, or whether Loggins was armed.

Marine sources said Loggins was not in possession of a weapon. Loggins was taken to Mission Hospital, where he died. Major Christopher Cox said Loggins had been scheduled to work at 7:30 that morning at the base, where he managed the inbound and outbound cargo.

Cox, who was Loggins' supervisor, said the 31-year-old Marine was a devout Christian who often took his daughters to the San Clemente High track for what he called "prayer walks." "They would take their Bibles and walk around the track in the morning," Cox said. He said Loggins' wife usually accompanied them but is pregnant and was unable to go.

Cox said Loggins volunteered with a Big Brothers group and at nursing homes, and was close to earning a bachelor's degree in nursing.

The deputy who shot him was placed on administrative leave, which is routine. His name has not been released. The Orange County district attorney's office, which is investigating the shooting, declined to comment.

Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#2 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

Strange
Five0pd310@suddenlink.net

#3 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,117 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

If what is reported in your story is true, it's hard to blame the deputy for feeling threatened. The fact that the guy is/was a marine and a devote Christian really has no bearing IMO.

#4 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,908 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I hear ya LHORNFAN, and I was reading some of the comments by the locals and they had some interesting opinions also.

Would like to see the dash board cam justify the situation becuase one might need a better defense to shoot someone then this "When Loggins turned and headed back to the Yukon, the deputy suddenly felt threatened and opened fire,"
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#5 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Keep in mind that the person giving the interview had ZERO information on the events. Regardless, it's terrible.

#6 SchmuckAlert

SchmuckAlert

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

schmuck central has not heard of this yet.

#7 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

schmuck central has not heard of this yet.

Interesting IP address you have there. Have we met? lol

#8 Straw

Straw

Rise and rise again!

• Administrators
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Interesting IP address you have there. Have we met? lol

He cant reply, cat got his tongue!

#9 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

He cant reply, cat got his tongue!

haha...something did!

#10 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,945 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

I'd like to see the dash cam, and hear what his daughters say. I don't think we know enough about what exactly happened completely without that being in the story. If it's as the deputy said, I can't say I really blame him. If we find out otherwise, I could change my opinion. This is what stands out at the present time to me : Loggins, who was based at Camp Pendleton, was driving "at a high rate of speed" when he crashed his Yukon SUV through a gate at the parking lot about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, said sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#11 blackflag79

blackflag79

Gilmer Grad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

The story just doesn't add up. Why would a devout Christian man drive at a high rate of speed, crash through a gate, ignore an officer, while he has his children in the car? There's more to this story than what they are putting into it, because it just doesn't add up in my opinion.
"Offense wins games, DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

"DEZign8"

Gilmer Buckeyes - 2004 D2 and 2009 D1 3A State Champs

"Proud" member of the "Backwater Mafia"

#12 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

The story just doesn't add up. Why would a devout Christian man drive at a high rate of speed, crash through a gate, ignore an officer, while he has his children in the car? There's more to this story than what they are putting into it, because it just doesn't add up in my opinion.

I agree. We'll eventually know more, but right now there are more questions than answers.

#13 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Something's not right here.

"A decorated Marine who was fatally shot by an Orange County sheriff's deputy in a high school parking lot was described as a deeply religious man who regularly went to the campus track with his young daughters for early-morning prayer walks.Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr.was shot to death during the predawn hours Tuesday under largely unexplained circumstances in a parking lot at San Clemente High School. Loggins' daughters, 9 and 14, were sitting nearby in the family SUV at the time of the shooting."

Wait a minute..... he ran his vehicle through the fence, but his underaged daughters were in a different vehicle? That's not making any sense or were they in the same vehicle?

"Crashed"... how much ya wanna bet a cop saw somebody driving to the athletic field, followed him, and he wasn't going at a high rate of speed, but instead, got too far and hit the fence, got out of his car, didn't hear the officer, saw only another set of headlights, was going back to the car to back it up out of the fence.

This one is going to get sticky for the police officer, just because you're walking back to your car, you don't get shot...he either had to have done something to make the officer think he was fixing to get a gun, etc. or had a gun, before he shot.

If the daughters get on the stand and say, Dad wasn't driving fast, he just bumped the fence, and was backing up to get out of the fence, and all of a sudden we heard shots, and Dad fell.....you know what that jury is going to do?

If the soldier's toxicology report comes back normal, and there isn't a "bunch of damage" to the fence, then somebody is fixing to get in some trouble!

#14 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:"edibles" and "herbs"

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

http://www.ktla.com/...0,6111274.story

hmmmm.....the spox for sheriff's dept gives a little different details.

The deputy was chasing him.

And parent you bring up an interesting point about toxicology....shouldn't the deputy have to submit to a blood test for a toxicology report on him?

Like Dave said, how about they release the dash cam video ... but the DA isn't going to do that unless it shows that the officer's story matches up to the video. Of course it may depend on whether the DA is up for re-election.

#15 Locutus

Locutus

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Officer tells marine to come back. Victim does. Then cop kills him. Marine has no gun. Officer feels threatened? Sounds like general cop mentality to me. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Police department will be hard pressed to control this if there are two witnessess/daughters. But they will certainly try and spin it.
"When SECONDS count, the POLICE will only be MOMENTS away!

#16 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

And parent you bring up an interesting point about toxicology....shouldn't the deputy have to submit to a blood test for a toxicology report on him?

I'm sure that was probably the first thing they did. We have to pee in a cup even in the case of a fender bender in a parking lot. A line-of-duty shooting; obviously so.

#17 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Officer tells marine to come back. Victim does. Then cop kills him. Marine has no gun. Officer feels threatened? Sounds like general cop mentality to me. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Police department will be hard pressed to control this if there are two witnessess/daughters. But they will certainly try and spin it.

...or not. We just don't know yet. I say we wait for the facts. Whatcha think?

#18 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

...or not. We just don't know yet. I say we wait for the facts. Whatcha think?

I'm not sure, so I'm asking... if the DA filed charges and it goes to trial, will the officer be represented by the city or county attorney (whichever the case may be, city or sheriff's dept.)?

#19 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

I'm not sure, so I'm asking... if the DA filed charges and it goes to trial, will the officer be represented by the city or county attorney (whichever the case may be, city or sheriff's dept.)?

In the case of criminal proceedings, he will be represented by his personal attorney. In civil, it could be a little different depending on whether they feel the officer is right or wrong. The agency and its governing body will be providing for their own defense....not likely the officer's (or deputy's).

#20 Locutus

Locutus

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

I think you take care of you, I think I can take care and decide for me.

"On February 7, an Orange County deputy, still unnamed, fatally shot an unarmed former Marine in front of the latter's children while all three of them sat in the Marine's car.

Sgt. Manuel Loggins Jr. was driving at 4:45 a.m. with his two children and he had apparently crashed his van through a gate and ended up in a school parking lot. He then exited the van, stood on the football field for a while, and then started to return to the van, ignoring orders from the deputy (and three others who had arrived) to stop.

The deputy says he feared for the safety of Loggins' 9 and 14-year-old children because Loggins has been making "irrational statements" and was about to drive away.

Loggins' friends say he was an extremely religious man who liked to take his daughters for walks in the early mornings at that school and talk to them about the Bible. Former colleagues also say he was great soldier who always listened and obeyed orders.

Some news reports suggested that the deputy's fears for his own safety were what motivated the shooting. However, no weapon was found on Loggins and sounds like the safety of the children is being made out as the main motivation by police (not that it couldn't have been both). The deputy is now on administrative leave pending an investigation.

It's possible that Loggins was having some sort of nervous breakdown. It's even possible that his children were in danger. But since it it apparently needs to be repeated, what good are police if they can't help someone in mental distress and turn so quickly to lethal force? Where were the deputy's less-lethal weapons if these now-fatherless children really were in trouble? Considering some recent, nasty police incidents in Orange County, you have to wonder how this investigation is going to turn out. Shooting into a van when there are children in the back seat is a very desperate move. Hopefully it was justified"

Someone please tell me how it could be justified, someone other than any cops who might be on here, someone rational and sane. To me this is just another horrid example of bullies with badges, another example of the out of control police state developing in our country. The officers will be punished for sure, but no matter what, the man will be dead, the children fatherless. Why, because someone gave some idiot a gun and "GAVE" him power. What moron fires into a car containing children and then claims they were in danger? Besides cops of course?
"When SECONDS count, the POLICE will only be MOMENTS away!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users