38 replies to this topic

#21 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think people are underestimating how truly difficult it is to take a 5 step drop, while looking at your receivers running their routes. You have to take the steps, anticipate the pass rush, read/anticipate the coverage, look off safeties, plant, come off strong to your front foot as deliver the pass while making sure not to drop your shoulder/elbow and make an accurate tight throw that is usually 10-15 yards deep.

Playing qb is not something that I think is "taught" IMO. It's hands down the hardest position in sports and requires the best combination of skill, technique and brains to be successful. You don't just develop many qbs from nothing at the college level. If Texas truly believes Swoopes is their qb of the future, adjust your offense to fit him. It is darn near impossible to do it the other way around at the college level.

You've got to get off the idea that a QB has to be under center to have a power running game. A power running game is about blocking schemes, NOT where the QB lines up behind the center. Watching some of Swoopes highlights, he does run the QB read. But he also runs a lot of QB ISO. I don't see Harsin running the QB ISO with Swoopes at UT, but the ISO can be ran with the QB in shotgun and 1 back. You simply put a TE/slot in short motion to lead through the hole. Brown, Bergeron or Gray won't need much running room to make a play. We just need the DL out of the backfield like it was so often two years ago with our passive blocking scheme.

#22 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:34 PM

You've got to get off the idea that a QB has to be under center to have a power running game. A power running game is about blocking schemes, NOT where the QB lines up behind the center. Watching some of Swoopes highlights, he does run the QB read. But he also runs a lot of QB ISO. I don't see Harsin running the QB ISO with Swoopes at UT, but the ISO can be ran with the QB in shotgun and 1 back. You simply put a TE/slot in short motion to lead through the hole. Brown, Bergeron or Gray won't need much running room to make a play. We just need the DL out of the backfield like it was so often two years ago with our passive blocking scheme.

It's not the running game I'm referring to... I'm talking about the plays where he will be passing on play action or from under center. That is going to have to be at least a part of his game under Harsins current system. I'm not sure he could play at the division 1 level right now if he had to be thrown into that is what I'm getting at.
Hate to lose more than you love to win, and winning will be your only option!

#23 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

Not only the pistol. There is the SECSECSEC power spread which some people :rolleyes: on this board touted as being totally different and more legitimate than what is played in the Big 12. I'm sure Texas will play multiple formations.
WETSU, why are you so down on Harsin? He's not going to go into his bag of tricks every other play like you think. Harsin ran a legitimate offense at Boise and helped turn Boise into a top 10 team with minimal talent. I expect him to do more with the talent available at Texas.

I like Harsin... I just think some of you guys are expecting unrealistic things from a kid just because he has a high ranking. Rankings don't mean ####. I could care less what a kids true ranking is. I just want to see guys who fit the system and have upside. I think you guys are not looking at this from a very open point of view if you think what Harsin ran at Boise is going to be possible with Swoopes. Harsin built a offense around one of the most accurate passers in the college level at the time. There is a big difference in that and Swoopes.

#24 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
  • Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

I like Harsin... I just think some of you guys are expecting unrealistic things from a kid just because he has a high ranking. Rankings don't mean ####. I could care less what a kids true ranking is. I just want to see guys who fit the system and have upside. I think you guys are not looking at this from a very open point of view if you think what Harsin ran at Boise is going to be possible with Swoopes. Harsin built a offense around one of the most accurate passers in the college level at the time. There is a big difference in that and Swoopes.

And you're expecting unrealistic things from a kid(Stewart) with a lower ranking. I guess we're both stupid. lol.
Who is John Galt?

#25 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

And you're expecting unrealistic things from a kid(Stewart) with a lower ranking. I guess we're both stupid. lol.

Where did I say I expected anything.... I just said what others have said about him

#26 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Where did I say I expected anything.... I just said what others have said about him

By the same token, where did I ever say that Swoopes was the answer for UT. I'm just excited he's decided to come to Texas(at this point).
Who is John Galt?

#27 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Are you serious Clark? Moore was a slow kid (4.97/40) that had offers from only two other schools besides Boise - Idaho and Eastern Washington.

On a serious note WETSU, if Swoopes is such a bad choice for UT because of the offense that Texas runs, what about A&M's choice of QBs? This year it was Matt Davis with his 13 TDs to 9 INT ratio at less than 48% completion ratio. And next year it's Stewart who is considered a drop back pocket passer 30 TDs to 13 INT ratio at 55%. What kind of offense are you guys going to play over there in College Station. Davis is more of a run guy according to his high school stats while Stewart is a passing QB.

So was Davis the wrong fit for the Aggies or is Stewart the wrong fit for the Aggies? And the Aggies did offer Swoopes. Would he not fit Sumlin's offense?

PS - Swoopes had better passing stats last year than Davis... just saying. :ph34r:

#28 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,116 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

It's not the running game I'm referring to... I'm talking about the plays where he will be passing on play action or from under center. That is going to have to be at least a part of his game under Harsins current system. I'm not sure he could play at the division 1 level right now if he had to be thrown into that is what I'm getting at.

I'm not sure there's a high school kid in the entire nation that will be a senior QB next fall that could compete well at the D1 level right now. That's the thing about recruiting - it's based on potential.

A whole lot of people didn't see the potential in guys like Kellen Moore or Colt McCoy, but those two guys were film rats. Always trying to get better be studying the competition. Now before anybody throws out the comments about Colt struggling at Cleveland, we all know there are better WRs on campus at UT and A&M than the ones that suit up for the Browns.

#29 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

Are you serious Clark? Moore was a slow kid (4.97/40) that had offers from only two other schools besides Boise - Idaho and Eastern Washington.

On a serious note WETSU, if Swoopes is such a bad choice for UT because of the offense that Texas runs, what about A&M's choice of QBs? This year it was Matt Davis with his 13 TDs to 9 INT ratio at less than 48% completion ratio. And next year it's Stewart who is considered a drop back pocket passer 30 TDs to 13 INT ratio at 55%. What kind of offense are you guys going to play over there in College Station. Davis is more of a run guy according to his high school stats while Stewart is a passing QB.

So was Davis the wrong fit for the Aggies or is Stewart the wrong fit for the Aggies? And the Aggies did offer Swoopes. Would he not fit Sumlin's offense?

PS - Swoopes had better passing stats last year than Davis... just saying. :ph34r:

Davis played 5a ball in Houston... It's a little different than 2a lol.

And Davis is certainly a huge project. You guys aren't even listening to what I'm saying. Just because someone doesn't agree that Swoopes is the perfect qb, doesn't mean I'm saying tamu has anyone better. I just think he would benefit more at Baylor or maybe Oregon or something.

But I didn't know that Swoopes was the next Peyton manning combined with VY and Michael Vick. Thanks for letting me know. Seriously though, can you just not admit thy he needs a LOT of work on the passing side before he even can start over ash? I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just going to be much much harder than you make it out to be.

#30 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

By the same token, where did I ever say that Swoopes was the answer for UT. I'm just excited he's decided to come to Texas(at this point).

All I did was give my assessment on the guy and you and Lhornfan jumped me for it. I'm all for discussion though so its cool.

#31 TyperWoods

TyperWoods

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • Interests:THE University of Texas

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

why is aggy still here? I thought they wanted to leave our conference.
THE University of Texas - Our kind makes an imprint on our country, and a mark on our culture. The salute of a citizenry, and the sign of a nation. One flag, one star, one state, one school. Texas builds names. More than legends, they are standards.

HOOK'EM

I am TyperWoods. Often imitiated, never duplicated.

#32 BeatNavy

BeatNavy

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Here's the deal for Texas..if Briles is attempting to recruit a QB, turn on the afterburners and try to get the kid. Briles is a pretty good judge of QB potential. Briles may have to go covert in the future.

Anyways, my bet is on this kid from AZ (currently on campus), Conner Wood. I think he might just be future.

Fully expect several Texas QBs to transfer in the next two years as the picture shapes itself.

I also expect Garrett Gilbert to be big at SMU - the Texas fans killed this kid's head. GG is a system QB and he might fit well at SMU.

#33 spakastu

spakastu

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:New Boston lions, Texas longhorns, Chicago bears, Dallas cowboys, Texas rangers, Dallas stars,

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

1329528441[/url]' post='1686641']
Not only the pistol. There is the SECSECSEC power spread which some people :rolleyes: on this board touted as being totally different and more legitimate than what is played in the Big 12. I'm sure Texas will play multiple formations.
WETSU, why are you so down on Harsin? He's not going to go into his bag of tricks every other play like you think. Harsin ran a legitimate offense at Boise and helped turn Boise into a top 10 team with minimal talent. I expect him to do more with the talent available at Texas.

I think some of you guys are underestimating Harsin and his ingenuity. I think that Harsin has master plan that involves this kid and the three headed monster attack that UT will have going forward. Swoopes will have a package designed for him to run at first and then as he develops will be implemented more into the offense later on. If it doesn't appear that he can master the offense they'll move him over to wr or te because he has the athleticism and size to dominate at those positions as well. I'm excited about his potential and look forward to see how Harsin plans to use him.

#34 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

All I did was give my assessment on the guy and you and Lhornfan jumped me for it. I'm all for discussion though so its cool.

Actually I'm critical of your attitude towards Harsin. Swoopes is just potential right now. Harsin put a decent product on the field while playing a soph and true freshman at QB along with 2 freshman RBs and a young OL. And Harsin found and groomed Kellen Moore at Boise, I think that bodes well for Swoopes.
Who is John Galt?

#35 JustAFan11

JustAFan11

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

Here's the deal for Texas..if Briles is attempting to recruit a QB, turn on the afterburners and try to get the kid. Briles is a pretty good judge of QB potential. Briles may have to go covert in the future.

Anyways, my bet is on this kid from AZ (currently on campus), Conner Wood. I think he might just be future.

Fully expect several Texas QBs to transfer in the next two years as the picture shapes itself.

I also expect Garrett Gilbert to be big at SMU - the Texas fans killed this kid's head. GG is a system QB and he might fit well at SMU.

Connor Brewer is who your thinking of...Conner Wood was at Texas before transfering to Colorado.
Without sports evolution would be a theory!

#36 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

And WHERE did anyone say they were expecting anything from Swoopes, WETTY?

I wish you would just quit pulling things out of your butt to accuse people of. You crack me up getting on here and acting like you know more about football strategy than Vince Lombardi. I'm pretty sure you don't know jack @#$!.....you simply parrot a bunch ofcrap you read on Texags.

#37 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

And WHERE did anyone say they were expecting anything from Swoopes, WETTY?

I wish you would just quit pulling things out of your butt to accuse people of. You crack me up getting on here and acting like you know more about football strategy than Vince Lombardi. I'm pretty sure you don't know jack @#$!.....you simply parrot a bunch ofcrap you read on Texags.

If you say so chief. ;)

#38 h-town12

h-town12

Ol' Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

The kids ok I guess.

#39 BeatNavy

BeatNavy

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thanks...these Texas QBs pack their bags before you ever get to know 'em.

Connor Brewer is who your thinking of...Conner Wood was at Texas before transfering to Colorado.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users