• Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

All I'm saying is Texas is getting a little lazy on their QB scouting reports.

I have to disagree. Look at Ash's HS stats and scouting report. Swoopes is already being touted as a top 5 QB prospect by ESPN. Conner Brewer was invited to the Elite 11 as a sophomore.
Who is John Galt?

#62 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,373 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have to disagree. Look at Ash's HS stats and scouting report. Swoopes is already being touted as a top 5 QB prospect by ESPN. Conner Brewer was invited to the Elite 11 as a sophomore.

Tyrone Swoopes Rivals Profile

Look at those numbers. Rushing is good, but remember 560 yards of that (yes I realize that's a big deal) came in one game. Please don't tell me he was recruited for his passing either (52.6% 1,394 yards 15 TD 7 INT)

He could be a treat, but I think it is VERY risky to make him your only QB pick up

#63 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

Tyrone Swoopes Rivals Profile

Look at those numbers. Rushing is good, but remember 560 yards of that (yes I realize that's a big deal) came in one game. Please don't tell me he was recruited for his passing either (52.6% 1,394 yards 15 TD 7 INT)

He could be a treat, but I think it is VERY risky to make him your only QB pick up

I think picking up Swoopes is great, but look back at my posts. I think Texas' QB of the future is already on their roster. So in my opinion Texas has always had an eye towards recruiting QB starters.
Who is John Galt?

#64 Lobo97

Lobo97

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,280 posts
  • Interests:Any and all sports from any level. Specifically the Lobos, Longhorns, Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Texas landed their 12th commit today...A HUGE one,

Darius James, 6'5' 319Ib guard from Killeen Harker Heights.

Great pick up.

Hook 'em \../

#65 DESOTOE

DESOTOE

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

TEXAS HAS # 13TH COMMIT BEITON TE DURHAM SMYTHE
GO DESOTO EAGLES

#66 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Great pickups for Texas. James is the #1 center in the nation. Texas now has commits from 7 of the top 10 in Texas. Hook 'em

#67 tylersooner

tylersooner

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

I am glad to see UT taking all of these early commits.
’It doesn’t matter to me at all,’ he said. ’I know there isn’t one (an asterisk) on ours. I know where the trophy is.’ - Bob Stoops

#68 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

I am glad to see UT taking all of these early commits.

lol ok

#69 tylersooner

tylersooner

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

lol ok

Do these names ring a bell?

2008 Early Commits
Chris Whaley, Kenny Vacarro, Greg Timmons, Garrett Porter, Patrick Nkwopara, Kyle Kreigel, Paden Kelly, Dominique Jones, Garrett Gilbert, Marcus Davis, Eryon Barnett, and Thomas Ashcraft.

2009 Earl Commits
Connor Wood, Darius Terrell, Traylon Shead, Adrian Phillips, Case McCoy, Chris Jones, Tevin Jackson, Bryant Jackson, Trey Hopkins, John Harris, Dominic Espinosa, Greg Daniels, DeAires Cotton, Carrington Byndom, Taylor Bible, and Aaron Benson
’It doesn’t matter to me at all,’ he said. ’I know there isn’t one (an asterisk) on ours. I know where the trophy is.’ - Bob Stoops

#70 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

2008 Early Commits
Chris Whaley, Kenny Vacarro, Greg Timmons, Garrett Porter, Patrick Nkwopara, Kyle Kreigel, Paden Kelly, Dominique Jones, Garrett Gilbert, Marcus Davis, Eryon Barnett, and Thomas Ashcraft.

2009 Earl Commits
Connor Wood, Darius Terrell, Traylon Shead, Adrian Phillips, Case McCoy, Chris Jones, Tevin Jackson, Bryant Jackson, Trey Hopkins, John Harris, Dominic Espinosa, Greg Daniels, DeAires Cotton, Carrington Byndom, Taylor Bible, and Aaron Benson

I'm sorry do you have a point?

#71 tylersooner

tylersooner

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

I'm sorry do you have a point?

Which ones have panned out? If not mistaken, they were all February commits.

#72 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Which ones have panned out? If not mistaken, they were all February commits.

There's plenty of good players on your list, and besides past commits have nothing to do with these guys.

Are you trying to say you wouldn't take accept early commitments from guys in the Top 10 in the state of Texas? I guess Mack should tell them no thanks... :wacko:

#73 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

I'm sorry I'm still sitting here in disbelief that your fingers let you type the name Kenny Vaccarro. If you're not familiar with him yet, you soon will be.

#74 tylersooner

tylersooner

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

I'm sorry I'm still sitting here in disbelief that your fingers let you type the name Kenny Vaccarro. If you're not familiar with him yet, you soon will be.

Vaccarro is good and will be good. All of the guys listed were early commits. What percentage of them have panned out? Of the 28 mentioned, how may are still with the team and starting?

#75 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

Vaccarro is good and will be good. All of the guys listed were early commits. What percentage of them have panned out? Of the 28 mentioned, how may are still with the team and starting?

Idk about all of them. Why don't you do the research and answer your own question.

My question still stands: would you not accept commitments from players in the top 10 in the state of Texas?

#76 tylersooner

tylersooner

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Idk about all of them. Why don't you do the research and answer your own question.

My question still stands: would you not accept commitments from players in the top 10 in the state of Texas?

I would take my time and actually evaluate them. I think that UT and OU to a lesser degree are offering these guys too early.

#77 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

I would take my time and actually evaluate them. I think that UT and OU to a lesser degree are offering these guys too early.

I don't know...I'm not saying you're wrong. I might be interesting to see a break-down on the percentage of players who don't pan out on the basis of early commitments. Lot's of players don't ever pan out and I really don't think it has anything to do with them being early commits.

Like I said, 7 of UT's early committs are Top 10 recruits in the State. The James kid is the #1 center in the country. I don't think you say no to these caliber of players if they want to give their commitment early. I like kids that know what they want and stick to it, rather than the kids that waffle back and forth all the way until signing day.

#78 BeatNavy

BeatNavy

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hook 'Em

#79 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

All of the guys listed were early commits. What percentage of them have panned out? Of the 28 mentioned, how may are still with the team and starting?

Do you think we could go through the OU recruits and find kids signed by OU that did not make a contribution?

I don't know how you would define an "early recruit". Is that someone who has not camped after his junior year or is it someone that has not played a down of football his senior year.

If I go through the recruiting lists for 2013, you will see OU has probably more offers out than UT (including our commitments). Are you telling me that OU is extending the offers and telling recruits not to commit until the fall?

I suspect OU issues twice as many offers in a recruiting season than Texas. If they are looking for one quarterback, they may offer 4 for one position. When one of the four targets accepts, they withdraw the other offers. I understand why OU does recruits this way. I think it is the way most schools recruit. Oklahoma has limited high school talent and three Division 1 schools. They are forced to go outside their market to recruit. Many of those kids have not followed OU growing up and the closure rate on a recruit is lower than a school in the market (Texas, Missouri, LSU, Florida, etc...). I think if Stoops could have his recruiting class buttoned up by August 31st, he would be happy.

#80 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

2008 Early Commits

2009 Earl Commits

You have to remember that Texas had a majority of its coaching staff turn over minus Brown and Akina. That mitigates anything you can say about any recruits signed prior to last years recruiting class. Regardless, two thirds of those recruits are still with Texas and contribute.
Who is John Galt?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users