• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 BigRedBear

BigRedBear

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Baylor Bears, Texas Rangers, Kilgore Bulldogs, FC Dallas, World Cup and anything else sports related.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...rogram-nfl-says

Goodell will bring justice down like rain.
"All I can say, it's about motivation. You never want to feel like everybody thinks you're a sure thing in life because it can rob you of your motivation to go out and get better." -Robert Griffin III

#2 Valhalla

Valhalla

RED IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts
  • Interests:Sooners and the Thunder.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

It doesn't really bother me. It is football not baseball.
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
-Mike Ditka-

"What it comes down to is that anybody can win with the best horse.What makes you good is if you can take the second or third best horse and win."

#3 unclejohn

unclejohn

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

It doesn't really bother me. It is football not baseball.

+1. The point is to knock each others heads off isn't it?

#4 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,740 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

I thought that only the giAnts did this. Oh, the Saints and Redskins did it too ??? I don't see the big whoop in this. It's football, if they have an in-house reward program for great hits, and hits that take out opposing players, I don't see anything wrong with it. If the Saints handed out bonus checks for these types of hits, then I see a potential problem with the salary cap. Knocking someone into next week is what any defensive player wants to do, besides much of the Dallas Secondary since the days of Darren Woodson. I know Roy Williams could knock the socks off someone, but after he started slowing down he all he could do was horse collar, which brought about a "new" rule on that.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#5 TxBroadcaster

TxBroadcaster

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

IMO it is not just foobtall to offer bounty for hits that causes someone to be carted off..that is dirty football..You can hit hard and still hit legally, trying to take out a knee for money is not the kind of football I want to watch
Listen Each Week Sideline To Sideline http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1255035

#6 Mavgrad99

Mavgrad99

Geaux Tigers

• Moderators
  • 6,988 posts
  • Interests:You can find me in the college forums.

Go Marshall
    Geaux Tigers
    Go Dallas
    Go Rangers

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Anyone watch how bad Gregg Williams defense was this year? He may have had the rewards there, but he didn't teach them how to earn them....
Posted Image

Test your coaching and adjusting skills in a free web simulation game. Make plays, call them during your game, recruit and build your college team, coach draft and develop talent in the pros. Step into chat to ask help and find a coaching staff to work with or form your own. Pigskin Empire, please use my reference link below.
http://pigskinempire....aspx?ref=18560

#7 BGR

BGR

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

IMO it is not just foobtall to offer bounty for hits that causes someone to be carted off..that is dirty football..You can hit hard and still hit legally, trying to take out a knee for money is not the kind of football I want to watch

I totally agree. I love to see lineman with a nasty streak but those that do it legally. I have never liked dirty players nor do I like coaches that teach or promote dirty play.

#8 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • Interests:I woke up, and here I was.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Anyone watch how bad Gregg Williams defense was this year? He may have had the rewards there, but he didn't teach them how to earn them....

I'm assuming this is more in reference to moves like Jabari Greer repeatedly trying to twist Adrian Peterson's ankle after plays are over and other such antics, rather than their lack of tackling or "blowing up" other players with legal contact.

Jonathan Vilma is also implicated, but I'm unsure of what he's done specifically. The Greer/Peterson tiff is a bit more widely known.

#9 RedCreek49

RedCreek49

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:26 PM

It bothers me when it stops being aggressive hard play and turns into dirty play. I accused the Saints of irty play the year they won the Super Bowl especially the dirty, cheap way they went after Favre. It was obvious intentional and cheap and I said so on here only to have all but one person disagree with me. There hearted for Favre made must have blinded them from the obvious. They were not only trying to get him out of the game but to end his career. If it had been my QB, I would have retaliated!!!! That is why there is no place for this in the game. Where I'm from everyone is a Saints fan and I told them it was dirty and they did not agree either, not because of haters of Favre but for the love of the Saints. They were blinded by loyalty. Still blindness is blindness and ignorance is ignorance.

The league should come down as hard as possible on the Saints. They should make them ineligible for the playoffs, take a couple of draft picks away and look seriously at throwing the players involved out of the league.

#10 BGR

BGR

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

A forfeit of a 1st round pick like the Patriots suffered for filming signals would be fitting. I like the Saints but this is not acceptable. I would hope any team found to be using this practice is punished severely.

#11 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:18 PM

Of COURSE you don't have a problem with this.......with the other post we went at it, but my point is that TRYING to personally end a game for a player and maybe their career just doesn't settle with me. They are in a players assoc. that look out for each other mainly after they retire and to TRY to hurt them not just to put a great hit on them has no place in football in todays world. IMO! The guy that hit A.D. and took out his knee was aiming for his knee from the side. I bet he feels bad about it now. I know that is football, but with aiming to do it is totally something eles in my book.

Where in BayouBengal in all this..........?

#12 Mavgrad99

Mavgrad99

Geaux Tigers

• Moderators
  • 6,988 posts

Go Marshall
    Geaux Tigers
    Go Dallas
    Go Rangers

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Of COURSE you don't have a problem with this.......with the other post we went at it, but my point is that TRYING to personally end a game for a player and maybe their career just doesn't settle with me. They are in a players assoc. that look out for each other mainly after they retire and to TRY to hurt them not just to put a great hit on them has no place in football in todays world. IMO! The guy that hit A.D. and took out his knee was aiming for his knee from the side. I bet he feels bad about it now. I know that is football, but with aiming to do it is totally something eles in my book.

As I ride around Atlanta, GA, I listen to ESPN Radio and some local sports talk radio stations... I have heard a total of 11 ex-GMs and Coaches say that this happens everywhere where Defensive guys get rewarded for big hits etc. Where Gregg Williams and the Saints organization that I love went wrong is that they werent rewarding for "legal" big hits, they were rewarding for any big hit that could take a player out of a game or even end their career.

ESPN keeps bringing up a game against Green Bay in which Brett Favre got pummelled by the Saints D their SB year... all but one of those hits that game were legal.. I think ESPN gets off on Brett Favre talk.
Posted Image

Test your coaching and adjusting skills in a free web simulation game. Make plays, call them during your game, recruit and build your college team, coach draft and develop talent in the pros. Step into chat to ask help and find a coaching staff to work with or form your own. Pigskin Empire, please use my reference link below.

#13 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,740 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

I like what Kurt Warner said : ďI think thatís part of the game, and I think thatís part of the mindset,Ē Warner said. ďAnd Iím not going to tell you that I havenít believed that there was probably defensive players that got together and said, ĎHey, you know, a thousand bucks for the first guy to knock Kurt out of a football game.í Iím sure thatís been a part of our league for a long time.Ē

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...9#ixzz1o6YoeuYJ

If anyone should be complaining, it would be him.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

#14 Mavgrad99

Mavgrad99

Geaux Tigers

• Moderators
  • 6,988 posts

Go Marshall
    Geaux Tigers
    Go Dallas
    Go Rangers

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I like what Kurt Warner said : "I think that's part of the game, and I think that's part of the mindset," Warner said. "And I'm not going to tell you that I haven't believed that there was probably defensive players that got together and said, 'Hey, you know, a thousand bucks for the first guy to knock Kurt out of a football game.' I'm sure that's been a part of our league for a long time."

Read more: http://aol.sportingn...9#ixzz1o6YoeuYJ

If anyone should be complaining, it would be him.

yeah... he got lit up, 20 yards away from the play in that playoff game.
Posted Image

#15 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Now even ex-Bills players are saying he had a bounty program there. I think it's going to come down on Greg Williams not the Saints, Redskins, or Bills. I wonder how long he will be in St. Louis, sounds like the Saints got the better end of the deal with him going to St. Louis. His past with Jeff Fisher makes you wonder if he had one too. I think it's prevalent in the league, you just don't hear about it unless someone wants to make some noise.

#16 footballfan11

footballfan11

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

To put someone out of the game with a good hit is not the same as to put him in a cart period

#17 footballfan11

footballfan11

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

How many of you still have football injuries that give you trouble from high school or college that came from not good hits but DIRTY hits?

#18 unclejohn

unclejohn

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

If a player has concussions all the time than him being a target is common sense since it gives your team an advantage. I don't have a problem with hard hits at all. I don't agree with late hits or hits in the knees. Now them hits are cheap and dirty shots. I would never agree with hits like tht.

This is totally different than the Giants trying to take a gauy out as to these guys paid money to knock a player out even if by dirty means.

#19 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

If a player has concussions all the time than him being a target is common sense since it gives your team an advantage. I don't have a problem with hard hits at all. I don't agree with late hits or hits in the knees. Now them hits are cheap and dirty shots. I would never agree with hits like tht.

This is totally different than the Giants trying to take a gauy out as to these guys paid money to knock a player out even if by dirty means.

I know how you feel- I was just jabbing at you again....

BB must be in lost for words though..............

#20 BigRedBear

BigRedBear

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Mavericks, Baylor Bears, Texas Rangers, Kilgore Bulldogs, FC Dallas, World Cup and anything else sports related.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

As I ride around Atlanta, GA, I listen to ESPN Radio and some local sports talk radio stations... I have heard a total of 11 ex-GMs and Coaches say that this happens everywhere where Defensive guys get rewarded for big hits etc. Where Gregg Williams and the Saints organization that I love went wrong is that they werent rewarding for "legal" big hits, they were rewarding for any big hit that could take a player out of a game or even end their career.

ESPN keeps bringing up a game against Green Bay in which Brett Favre got pummelled by the Saints D their SB year... all but one of those hits that game were legal.. I think ESPN gets off on Brett Favre talk.

Vikings
"All I can say, it's about motivation. You never want to feel like everybody thinks you're a sure thing in life because it can rob you of your motivation to go out and get better." -Robert Griffin III

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users