Talent Drain- losing/gaining athletes to/from other schools

Mavchamp

How common do you think a "talent drain" occurs to adjacent schools when one program is more successful than another???

DO you think is is COMMON? UNCOMMON?

DO you think it's something the UIL should crack down on?

DO you think it's a parent's choice and people should mind their own business?

Do you have a school that drains talent from your school?

Does your school get a lot of transfers from adjacent schools?

I'm not talking about families picking up and moving 20-30 miles to get their kids into a better football program. This is about schools that are close in proximity.

Examples:

Longview/Pine Tree

Longview/Hallsville

John Tyler/Tyler Lee

Tyler Lee/Whitehouse

Texas High/Liberty Eylau/Pleasant Grove

Marshall/ELysian Fields/Harleton/Hallsville

White Oak/Spring Hill

I'm sure there are others. Toss them in.

What are your thoughts on this.... pro and con.

And watch the fireworks!

Chapel Hill, Bullard, Lindale, Grace, Brook Hill, T. K. Gorman, Whitehouse, Kings Academy, and All Saints all drink from the Tyler well. That's why you see so many Tyler area teams making nice runs in the playoffs.

Chapel Hill, Bullard, Lindale, Grace, Brook Hill, T. K. Gorman, Whitehouse, Kings Academy, and All Saints all drink from the Tyler well. That's why you see so many Tyler area teams making nice runs in the playoffs.

Lake Tyler water.

TRUE STATEMENT. MANY OF THE "GOOD PLAYERS" AT JOHN TYLER ARE ON TYLER LEE'S SIDE OF THE FENCE. SUCH FAIR WEATHER FRIENDS ARE WE. GOOD JOB BY THE JT COACHES RECRUIT.....SORRY....FAMILIARIZING ALL OF THE JUNIOR HIGH KIDS (MOORE.HOGG,HUBBARD) WITH THE JT PROGRAM. I EXPECT THE LEE PROGRAM TO BE RE-ENERGIZED....

TRUE STATEMENT. MANY OF THE "GOOD PLAYERS" AT JOHN TYLER ARE ON TYLER LEE'S SIDE OF THE FENCE. SUCH FAIR WEATHER FRIENDS ARE WE. GOOD JOB BY THE JT COACHES RECRUIT.....SORRY....FAMILIARIZING ALL OF THE JUNIOR HIGH KIDS (MOORE.HOGG,HUBBARD) WITH THE JT PROGRAM. I EXPECT THE LEE PROGRAM TO BE RE-ENERGIZED....

YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!!! Don't get me started on Lee and how Owens "built" up the Lee program by getting players out the JT zone. Lee is still going to take 2 to 3 years to become competitive again with the 5A teams they compete with IMO. Piske seems like a good character guy to get Lee back to competitng but time will tell.

Still giving Owens a bad name and he is not even in the district any longer. Geesh, will the rivalry never die between the two sides and schools in Tyler. Can we not all get along?

Why would the rivalry die? It's great for Tyler and football in general.

I am not in it, but I see a conduit between Atlanta and Queen City.

I guess it really happpens on a by-sport/program basis.

If a player or the parents make a decision early enough, they avoid losing a year of varsity eligibility.

If it is in the best interest of the student with regard to giving them the chance they would like have, or believe, then it will happen.

I remember thinking about players, like Nathan Sorenson and Blake McGown. They moved to a higher profile program for higher exposure, and had the talent to have it pay off. Some kids don't, and they just become little fish in a big pond.

Still giving Owens a bad name and he is not even in the district any longer. Geesh, will the rivalry never die between the two sides and schools in Tyler. Can we not all get along?

The JT/Lee game stopped being a rivalry years ago. Nowadays, it's an exciting game to watch but it now pales in comparison to the level of intensity it was in the past. Many of the students at both schools do get along. I see more Lee letterman jackets and JT letterman jackets mixing and mingling in the public more now than ever. My JT student has a long friends list of Lee students while during my JT years my friends list was lined with kids I knew from JT and the rogues on my block.

Many JT students attend Lee feeders but live in JT's attendance zone. The only reason a Lee feeder student comes to JT is because that student is zoned for JT.

you may not know this, but parts of Moore and Hogg zones are also JT zones too.

Also Lee probably looses the most players. Not to Whitehouse or Bullard, or etc. but to Grace,All Saints, Brook Hill,etc. The private schools are hurting Lee the most. For proof, just look at Lee's White population. It use to be around 2000. Now its half of that even though Tyler has grown. There has been a little growth in Whitehouse,Bullard,and Lindale, but its clear that since Grace,All Saints and Brook Hill has start to grow, Lee white population has gone down.

Jt is hurt by Lee, alot to do with the rules, but also because of the growth of Tyler. Everyone is moving to south Tyler.

Also, I would say Hallsville has hurt Longview and Marshall the most.

you may not know this, but parts of Moore and Hogg zones are also JT zones too.

Also Lee probably looses the most players. Not to Whitehouse or Bullard, or etc. but to Grace,All Saints, Brook Hill,etc. The private schools are hurting Lee the most. For proof, just look at Lee's White population. It use to be around 2000. Now its half of that even though Tyler has grown. There has been a little growth in Whitehouse,Bullard,and Lindale, but its clear that since Grace,All Saints and Brook Hill has start to grow, Lee white population has gone down.

Jt is hurt by Lee, alot to do with the rules, but also because of the growth of Tyler. Everyone is moving to south Tyler.

Also, I would say Hallsville has hurt Longview and Marshall the most.

Hallsville has indeed gutted Marshall, but has had little to no effect on Longview whatsoever. Heck, this past realignment, the kids transferred from Hallsville to Longview.

However, I don't respect Hallsville at all for stretching their district lines into East Longview, but it is what it is. This is the exact reason why the City of Longview doesn't have two 5A schools.

If any school has been grabbing athletes out of our district, I'd say Tatum and they've been doing it for years. Majority of the their past FBS players lived in either Easton or Lakeport. Both towns are Longview ISD. This will soon change however now that Longview has built a school down there.

So these are parents actually moving to new districts or the kids transferring? And this is being done solely due to athletics? I know in the recent past there has been an increasing number of kids transferring out of nacogdoches ISD to other schools in the county but the primary reasons I have heard from parents are academic and safety.

REDRAIDERFAN13 EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT LEE COACHES HAVE THEIR FEEDER MIDDLE SCHOOL COACHES RECRUITING FOR THEM. SOON AS THE KIDS HIT MIDDLE SCHOOL THEY ARE ASKING THEM WHAT HIGH SCHOOL THEY GOING TO. IF YOU SAY JT MOST OF THEM NEVER GET THE OPPURTUNITY TO PLAY AT ALL SO THAT'S WHY THEY EITHER SAY LEE OR THEY DON'T KNOW. WHAT PRESSURE TO PUT ON A KID. YOUR DAUGHTER OR SON HAS ONE MORE YEAR TO MAKE A NAME FOR THEMSELVES SORRY THEY DIDN'T GET TO DO IT WITH THEIR MIDDLE SCHOOL FRIENDS AT LEE FEEDER SCHOOLS. (HUBBARD, MOORE, HOGG AND STEWART) LEE FEEDS FROM - (DOGAN, BOULTER, STEWART, HOGG, AND MOORE) JT FEEDS FROM IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT SITUATION OF HOW STUDENTS FEED FROM MIDDLE SCHOOL YOU HAVE TO TAKE THAT UP WITH TISD

Hallsville has indeed gutted Marshall, but has had little to no effect on Longview whatsoever. Heck, this past realignment, the kids transferred from Hallsville to Longview.

However, I don't respect Hallsville at all for stretching their district lines into East Longview, but it is what it is. This is the exact reason why the City of Longview doesn't have two 5A schools.

If any school has been grabbing athletes out of our district, I'd say Tatum and they've been doing it for years. Majority of the their past FBS players lived in either Easton or Lakeport. Both towns are Longview ISD. This will soon change however now that Longview has built a school down there.

Not all of Easton... Some of Easton is part of Tatum ISD.

rolleyes.gif

REDRAIDERFAN13 EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT LEE COACHES HAVE THEIR FEEDER MIDDLE SCHOOL COACHES RECRUITING FOR THEM. SOON AS THE KIDS HIT MIDDLE SCHOOL THEY ARE ASKING THEM WHAT HIGH SCHOOL THEY GOING TO. IF YOU SAY JT MOST OF THEM NEVER GET THE OPPURTUNITY TO PLAY AT ALL SO THAT'S WHY THEY EITHER SAY LEE OR THEY DON'T KNOW. WHAT PRESSURE TO PUT ON A KID. YOUR DAUGHTER OR SON HAS ONE MORE YEAR TO MAKE A NAME FOR THEMSELVES SORRY THEY DIDN'T GET TO DO IT WITH THEIR MIDDLE SCHOOL FRIENDS AT LEE FEEDER SCHOOLS. (HUBBARD, MOORE, HOGG AND STEWART) LEE FEEDS FROM - (DOGAN, BOULTER, STEWART, HOGG, AND MOORE) JT FEEDS FROM IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE CURRENT SITUATION OF HOW STUDENTS FEED FROM MIDDLE SCHOOL YOU HAVE TO TAKE THAT UP WITH TISD

Lee also has zoning in Boulter's zone. TISD has a plan to address attendance zones for both high schools.

With poor academic ratings at both JT and Lee, kids can put in for and receive transfer to attend whatever high school they want. Now is there recruiting going on? Most definitely...by both Lee and JT. I know, I saw it first hand and I didnt see anything bad going on, just talking to the kids. I think Lee benefited more several years ago, but now JT has the upper hand. Coaches would be crazy not to go talk to the kids...and I guarantee that it goes on in other multi-school areas. However...THE BEST RECRUITER IS A WINNING PROGRAM!!!! It cycles...Lee will get back on top eventually then JT will get there again.

Tyler ISD is by far the most unorganized district I've ever seen. It's simple math really.

6 middle schools. So why don't they just give the high schools 3 middle schools a piece and call it a day? That way, neither school can be responsible for taking the other schools' athletes. Every other multi high school district that I've come across have drawn their lines this way, which is entirely better than having half of a middle school attend one school and the other half attend another.

Tyler ISD is by far the most unorganized district I've ever seen. It's simple math really.

6 middle schools. So why don't they just give the high schools 3 middle schools a piece and call it a day? That way, neither school can be responsible for taking the other schools' athletes. Every other multi high school district that I've come across have drawn their lines this way, which is entirely better than having half of a middle school attend one school and the other half attend another.

TISD has no control over attendance lines for JT and Lee.

1331179349[/url]' post='1695056']

How common do you think a "talent drain" occurs to adjacent schools when one program is more successful than another???

DO you think is is COMMON? UNCOMMON?

DO you think it's something the UIL should crack down on?

DO you think it's a parent's choice and people should mind their own business?

Do you have a school that drains talent from your school?

Does your school get a lot of transfers from adjacent schools?

I'm not talking about families picking up and moving 20-30 miles to get their kids into a better football program. This is about schools that are close in proximity.

Examples:

Longview/Pine Tree

Longview/Hallsville

John Tyler/Tyler Lee

Tyler Lee/Whitehouse

Texas High/Liberty Eylau/Pleasant Grove

Marshall/ELysian Fields/Harleton/Hallsville

White Oak/Spring Hill

I'm sure there are others. Toss them in.

What are your thoughts on this.... pro and con.

And watch the fireworks!

Kids are not leaving from Longview to Hallsville or pine tree. It's the other way around. Longview has received many Hallsville and pine tree transfers.longviews northern area is growing and it's mostly allLISD. Hallsville is in economic trouble and people also don't like the fact of living one mile from Longview high and in Harrison county and driving 12 miles each way to Hallsville.those 12 miles takes 30 min.longviews education and athletic programs are second to none.