#1 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Moderators
  • 5,945 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

http://www.rzim.org/...14/default.aspx

Many times, as Christian theists, we find ourselves on the defensive against the critiques and questions of atheists. Sometimes, in the midst of arguments and proofs, we miss the importance of conversation. These questions, then, are meant to be a part of a conversation. They are not, in and of themselves, arguments or "proofs" for God. They are commonly asked existential or experiential questions that both atheists and theists alike can ponder.

1. If there is no God, “the big questions” remain unanswered, so how do we answer the following questions: Why is there something rather than nothing? This question was asked by Aristotle and Leibniz alike – albeit with differing answers. But it is an historic concern. Why is there conscious, intelligent life on this planet, and is there any meaning to this life? If there is meaning, what kind of meaning and how is it found? Does human history lead anywhere, or is it all in vain since death is merely the end? How do you come to understand good and evil, right and wrong without a transcendent signifier? If these concepts are merely social constructions, or human opinions, whose opinion does one trust in determining what is good or bad, right or wrong? If you are content within atheism, what circumstances would serve to make you open to other answers?
2. If we reject the existence of God, we are left with a crisis of meaning, so why don’t we see more atheists like Jean Paul Sartre, or Friedrich Nietzsche, or Michel Foucault? These three philosophers, who also embraced atheism, recognized that in the absence of God, there was no transcendent meaning beyond one’s own self-interests, pleasures, or tastes. The crisis of atheistic meaninglessness is depicted in Sartre’s book Nausea. Without God, there is a crisis of meaning, and these three thinkers, among others, show us a world of just stuff, thrown out into space and time, going nowhere, meaning nothing.
3. When people have embraced atheism, the historical results can be horrific, as in the regimes of Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot who saw religion as the problem and worked to eradicate it? In other words, what set of actions are consistent with particular belief commitments? It could be argued, that these behaviors – of the regimes in question - are more consistent with the implications of atheism. Though, I'm thankful that many of the atheists I know do not live the implications of these beliefs out for themselves like others did! It could be argued that the socio-political ideologies could very well be the outworking of a particular set of beliefs – beliefs that posited the ideal state as an atheistic one.
4. If there is no God, the problems of evil and suffering are in no way solved, so where is the hope of redemption, or meaning for those who suffer? Suffering is just as tragic, if not more so, without God because there is no hope of ultimate justice, or of the suffering being rendered meaningful or transcendent, redemptive or redeemable. It might be true that there is no God to blame now, but neither is there a God to reach out to for strength, transcendent meaning, or comfort. Why would we seek the alleviation of suffering without objective morality grounded in a God of justice?
5. If there is no God, we lose the very standard by which we critique religions and religious people, so whose opinion matters most? Whose voice will be heard? Whose tastes or preferences will be honored? In the long run, human tastes and opinions have no more weight than we give them, and who are we to give them meaning anyway? Who is to say that lying, or cheating or adultery or child molestation are wrong –really wrong? Where do those standards come from? Sure, our societies might make these things “illegal” and impose penalties or consequences for things that are not socially acceptable, but human cultures have at various times legally or socially disapproved of everything from believing in God to believing the world revolves around the sun; from slavery, to interracial marriage, from polygamy to monogamy. Human taste, opinion law and culture are hardly dependable arbiters of Truth.
6. If there is no God, we don’t make sense, so how do we explain human longings and desire for the transcendent? How do we even explain human questions for meaning and purpose, or inner thoughts like, why do I feel unfulfilled or empty? Why do we hunger for the spiritual, and how do we explain these longings if nothing can exist beyond the material world?

For further reading, see Ravi Zacharias’s book The Real Face of Atheism, and C.S. Lewis’s book Mere Christianity. The RZIM website has many excellent resources on atheism, www.rzim.org, as does the Centre for Public Christianity, www.publicchristianity.org.
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#2 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,289 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I could add one more if there isn't a God how do miracles happen ?
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#3 bigorange

bigorange

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

You know I look at the human body and even that of animals and insects. Look at how awesome the bodies organs and stuff work. It all works so well with each other. There is no way random chance could make us and all there is in the world as good as it is without God.
CELINA BOBCATS RECORD 8 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

RECORD 4 STATE 7 ON 7 STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS

#4 blackflag79

blackflag79

Gilmer Grad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

You know I look at the human body and even that of animals and insects. Look at how awesome the bodies organs and stuff work. It all works so well with each other. There is no way random chance could make us and all there is in the world as good as it is without God.

Absolutely. If you've ever had Anatomy and Physiology courses and saw how complex the human (and animal) body is, and how everything has to work perfectly together to sustain life, it will tend to make a believer out of you. If those courses can't convince somebody that there's NO way we could be here by chance, there's probably nothing that ever will unless God Himself appears to you in person.

I got this from another site, as he was answering an atheist's questions, and this person says some things that I knew, and some that I didn't know, but he also gave references in the Bible, and it makes perfect sense:

"Every prophecy has come true?" to date, yes. Since the Bible is batting a 1.000, it would stand to reason that prophasies (sic) not fullfilled (sic) yet will. It was proclaimed to Abraham that Christ would come through his lineage through Issac, and he did. He was also told tha the Messiah would be crusified (sic) for the forgiveness of our sin so we could spiritually live. And he was. It also told that he would raise again and he did! Stands to reason that he will return. It takes more effort to find a reason not to place faith in him than it does to dig up "reasons" not to.

"And the earth revolves around the sun?" Yes it does, I figured you knew that.....? The Bible also told us concerning space, matter and the earth the following:

- Jeremiah 33:22 (written 2500 years ago): “As the host of
heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea
measured.”
The Bible claimed that there are billions of stars (“host of heaven” is the biblical term for the stars). When it made this statement, no one knew how vast the numbers of stars were as only about 1,100 were observable. Now we know that there are billions of stars, and that they cannot be numbered.

- Job 26:7 (written 3500 years ago): “He stretches out the north over the empty place, and hangs the earth upon nothing.”
The Bible claimed that the earth freely floated in space. Science then
thought that the earth sat on a large animal. We now know that the earth
has a free float in space.

- Hebrews 11:3 (written 2000 years ago): “Through faith we
understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so
that things which are seen were not made of things which do
appear.”
The Bible claims that all creation is made of invisible material.
Science then was ignorant of the subject. We now know that the entire creation is made of invisible elements called “atoms.”

- Isaiah 40:22 (written 2800 years ago):
“It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth.”
The Bible informs us here that the earth is round. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, it was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world. He wrote: “It was the Lord who put it into my mind. I could feel His hand upon me…there is no question the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit because He comforted me with rays of marvelous illumination from the Holy Scriptures…” (From his diary, in reference to his discovery of “the New World”).

Don't get me wrong, I obviously don't hate science. God created science and he has complete control over it and understands it perfectly. There is no problem between Science and God, but between Scientists (man) and God. The events in which you spoke of the earlier Catholic church are evidence of what happens when man is consumed with religion and not the word of God. Religion is not of God, but of man. Therefor, a religion can be wrong about things because it is controled by men. And it is when Scientists begin to think they know more than God about Science, and in their unbelief try to explain things through their own wisdom that they begin to go wrong. Here are some things that the Bible tells us that Scientists struggle with and some things the Bible answered (foretold of)long before science caught up.

- Creation
Genesis 1

- Why did the dinosaur disappear? This is something that has
modern science mystified, but the Bible may have the answer
(written 3500 years ago. God Himself is speaking):“Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eats grass as an ox. Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly. He moves his tail like a cedar: the sinews of his stones are wrapped together. His bones are as strong pieces of brass; his bones are like bars of iron. He is the chief of the ways of God: he that made him can make his sword to approach unto him. Surely the mountains bring him forth food, where all the beasts of the field play. He lies under the shady trees, in the covert of the reed, and fens. The shady trees cover him with their shadow; the willows of the brook compass him about. Behold, he drinks up a river, and hastens not: he trusts that he can draw up Jordan into his mouth. He takes it with his eyes: his nose pierces through snares” (Job 40:15-24).
This was the Largest of all creatures He made.
It was plant-eating (herbivorous).
It had its strength in its hips.
Its tail was like a large tree (a cedar).
It had very strong bones.
Its habitat was among the trees.
Drank massive amounts of water.
His nose pierced through snares.
Then Scripture says, “…He that made him can make his sword
approach to him.” In other words, God caused this, the largest
of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.

- Psalm 8:8: “And the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passes
through the paths of the seas.”
What does the Bible mean by “paths” of the seas? The sea is just a huge mass of water, how then could it have “paths?” Man discovered the
existence of ocean currents in the 1850’s, but the Bible declared the
science of oceanography 2,800 years ago. Matthew Maury (1806-1873) is considered to be the father of oceanography. He was bedridden during a serious illness and asked his son to read a portion of the Bible to him. While listening, he noticed the expression “paths of the sea.” Upon his recovery, Maury took God at His word and went looking for these paths. His book on oceanography is still considered a basic text on the subject and is still used in universities.

- Amos 9:6 (written 2,800 years ago): “He…calls for the waters
of the sea, and pours them out upon the face of the earth; the
Lord is His name.”
Duh, the water cycle...The Mississippi River dumps over six million gallons of water per second into the Gulf of Mexico. Where does all that water go? That’s just one of thousands of rivers. The answer lies in the
hydrologic cycle, something that was not fully accepted until the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, 2500 years after the Bible said that God takes the waters of the sea, and pours them upon the face of the earth.

- Genesis 2:1 (after creation): “Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.”
The Hebrew word used here is the past definite tense for the verb
“finished,” indicating an action completed in the past, never again to
occur. The creation was “finished”? once and for all. That is what the First Law of Thermodynamics says. It states that neither matter nor energy
can be either created or destroyed. There is no “creation” ongoing today. It is “finished” exactly as the Bible states.

- Hebrews 1:10,11 (written 2000 years ago): “...And, You, Lord, in the beginning have laid the foundation of the earth; and the
heavens are the works of your hands: They shall perish; but you remain; and they all shall wax old as does a garment.” The Bible tells us that the earth is wearing out. This is what the Second Law of Thermodynamics states. This wasn’t discovered by science until comparatively recently.

To elaborate a little bit, everything that scientists have theorized can be explained in the Bible for those that go about the research with the right mindset, except evolution, which will always be a theory because it will never be proven because it never happened. The earth was a MUCH different place ecologically before the great flood, accounting for the longevity of life before it. If you read Genesis you will find this out.
"Offense wins games, DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

"DEZign8"

Gilmer Buckeyes - 2004 D2 and 2009 D1 3A State Champs

"Proud" member of the "Backwater Mafia"

#5 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,183 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Using the Bible to prove the existence of God to an atheist makes no sense. If they don't believe in God, why would they believe anything written in the Bible? To them it is nothing but a work of fiction.

#6 blackflag79

blackflag79

Gilmer Grad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,235 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Using the Bible to prove the existence of God to an atheist makes no sense. If they don't believe in God, why would they believe anything written in the Bible? To them it is nothing but a work of fiction.

In most cases I believe you are right, but we still have to try to get them to understand. That's our duty as Christians.
"Offense wins games, DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

"DEZign8"

Gilmer Buckeyes - 2004 D2 and 2009 D1 3A State Champs

"Proud" member of the "Backwater Mafia"

#7 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Moderators
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I understand what your saying and I think it also. But then I remember it aint my job to grow the seed (that is between them and the Holy Spirit) I am told to sow the seed. And BTW I thought BigOrange post was a great way to show that the Bible is true besides saying the Bible says so. But we must never forget Hebrews 4:12

Becuase the Word of God iis living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of thoughts and intents of the heart. Heb 4:12

Remember also that C.S.Lewis was a hard core athiest but became a staunch defender of the faith. Lee Strobel wanted to prove to his wife that Christianity was fiction but after a couple years of investigating the facts he too became a Christian.
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
--

---

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#8 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Totally agree. Was watching Frozen Planet last week, how profound is that.

One thing that athiests cannot deny is... and my youngest brought this to my attention. If stories are told of being demon-possessed, and they can prove same, then if demons do truly exist, then God must exist.

Oops - that throws a hole in their theory.

#9 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Moderators
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

"By perseverance the snail reached the ark." ~Charles Spurgeon. BIG encouragement from a little creature.
--

---

--

#10 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

^ Good point. LOL!

#11 goldandwhite

goldandwhite

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

If Atheists truly believed there was no God they wouldn't be so hostile to, and critical of, those that do believe. I don't believe in aliens flying space ships, but when I was in the UFO museum in Roswell, New Mexico a few years back I didn't stand out on the sidewalk and protest. I couldn't care less if people want to believe that way. Atheists wouldn't be intimidated by religious views if they actually thought it was all bunk. I read the other day were some of them "un-blessed" a new road that had been blessed earlier, by sprinking "unholy" water on it:

http://www.theonion....ida-road,27706/

If they were true atheists, they couldn't have cared less.

#12 DLine06

DLine06

The 83rd Black Belt of Professor Klay Pittman

• Moderators
  • 6,228 posts
  • Interests:Born on 1/25/88.

Former Boxer and current martial artist in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

You know what I find interesting about that line of reasoning...

Historians have investigated and researched the bible. The majority of the studies have placed the accuracy of the Bible around roughly 97% +/- a 3% rate of error...

Even if at worst the Bible was 94% accurate, that's still amazing given that the public school system receives and gives out textbooks that are either: a.) not that accurate to begin with or b.) don't tell the whole story but yet, I haven't heard them post any qualms about that subject.
"Be a good leader! If that's not your style, be a wise follower." (Klay Pittman).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#13 bigorange

bigorange

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

You know what I find interesting about that line of reasoning...

Historians have investigated and researched the bible. The majority of the studies have placed the accuracy of the Bible around roughly 97% +/- a 3% rate of error...

Even if at worst the Bible was 94% accurate, that's still amazing given that the public school system receives and gives out textbooks that are either: a.) not that accurate to begin with or b.) don't tell the whole story but yet, I haven't heard them post any qualms about that subject.

Whats funny is that the 3% should actually go to 100%, but we just are not able to find it or it has been lost because of time if you follow what im saying. I agree though that 97 or 94% is a fantastic number of the Bibles accuracy.

I have often wondered why Jesus doesnt show himself today and more miricals dont happen. I got to thinking that Jesus already showed himself in his day and performed great things and people still didnt believe. If he showed up today and performed great things Athiest would still not believe just like the people in Jesus day.

I believe that miricals still happen today, but I dont think they happen as much say in our country because we are a Christian nation although I think we are fading fast with unbelieving people and a lukewarm church. I do however think that Christ or his Angels present themselevs in some way to others in countries and places that is hard for the gosple to reach like he did in the old testament and shows more signs to those people. We in this country have the Bible with all the information we need and those of us who are Christians have been saved from the day of wrath so we dont need all the signs and wonders that others do or we shouldnt.

#14 Colmesneilfan1

Colmesneilfan1

Smoakhouse Libertarian

• Administrators
  • 34,261 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Most of the studies I have seen give that percentage of inaccuracies to a monk or scribe simply putting the wrong word down, or misspelling a word, or using improper grammar....no meaningful teachings have been lost at all...we can thank the Holy Spirit for that...:)

Mark 16: 16..."16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Acts 2: 38...."38And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Acts 22: 16...."16And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name."

I Peter 3: 21...."21Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

The above Scripture is from the English Standard Version

#15 DLine06

DLine06

• Moderators
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Whats funny is that the 3% should actually go to 100%, but we just are not able to find it or it has been lost because of time if you follow what im saying. I agree though that 97 or 94% is a fantastic number of the Bibles accuracy.

I have often wondered why Jesus doesnt show himself today and more miricals dont happen. I got to thinking that Jesus already showed himself in his day and performed great things and people still didnt believe. If he showed up today and performed great things Athiest would still not believe just like the people in Jesus day.

I believe that miricals still happen today, but I dont think they happen as much say in our country because we are a Christian nation although I think we are fading fast with unbelieving people and a lukewarm church. I do however think that Christ or his Angels present themselevs in some way to others in countries and places that is hard for the gosple to reach like he did in the old testament and shows more signs to those people. We in this country have the Bible with all the information we need and those of us who are Christians have been saved from the day of wrath so we dont need all the signs and wonders that others do or we shouldnt.

Most of the studies I have seen give that percentage of inaccuracies to a monk or scribe simply putting the wrong word down, or misspelling a word, or using improper grammar....no meaningful teachings have been lost at all...we can thank the Holy Spirit for that...:)

Even so.

The reason why I state the percent of inaccuracy at the worst is the fact that at 94%, it's still a higher standard in comparison to public textbooks in K-12. A little better at the college ranks but not still not even close.

In the other extreme, 100% accuracy, well we already know what means. Most postmodernists can stomach the fact or notion of 100% accuracy.
"Be a good leader! If that's not your style, be a wise follower." (Klay Pittman).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 bigorange

bigorange

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

It is really awesome how great the Bible is and yet alot of people still just won't believe.

#17 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Moderators
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Even so.

The reason why I state the percent of inaccuracy at the worst is the fact that at 94%, it's still a higher standard in comparison to public textbooks in K-12. A little better at the college ranks but not still not even close.

In the other extreme, 100% accuracy, well we already know what means. Most postmodernists can stomach the fact or notion of 100% accuracy.

I am not trying to be a gramma nasi but dont you mean --Most postmodernist cant stomach the fact or notion of 100% accuracy.
--

---

--

#18 DLine06

DLine06

• Moderators
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

I am not trying to be a gramma nasi but dont you mean --Most postmodernist cant stomach the fact or notion of 100% accuracy.

touche'.... That's the bad thing of typing my thoughts out on a cell phone while walking in Lubbock.

#19 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Moderators
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

touche'.... That's the bad thing of typing my thoughts out on a cell phone while walking in Lubbock.

At least you got an excuse, for I have none. I just cant spell.
--

---

--

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users