Saints Punishment

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This makes me sick. There are 2 things I think are overkill. (1) Sean Payton for an entire year. Half the season (aka 8 games) would put the Saints at a severe disadvantage. I don't know if Sean Payton welcomed the bounties are not for motivation, but he didn't pay, set it up, nor are there any reports of him being directly involved in any of it. He just didn't squash it when he should have, or he failed to follow up on the warnings.

(2) The GM for 8 games... Disgraceful. You take away 2 draft picks, suspend the HC and probably some players... that is enough punishment for any GM who had no knowledge of the system to endure without a suspension.

This makes me sick. There are 2 things I think are overkill. (1) Sean Payton for an entire year. Half the season (aka 8 games) would put the Saints at a severe disadvantage. I don't know if Sean Payton welcomed the bounties are not for motivation, but he didn't pay, set it up, nor are there any reports of him being directly involved in any of it. He just didn't squash it when he should have, or he failed to follow up on the warnings.

(2) The GM for 8 games... Disgraceful. You take away 2 draft picks, suspend the HC and probably some players... that is enough punishment for any GM who had no knowledge of the system to endure without a suspension.

Roger Goddell aint playin around

Wow! My question is, did they really knockout or injure that many players during the bounty program? Shocked Goodell didn't strip the Saints of the 2009 Superbowl trophy! Another question, should the 2009 Superbowl have an asterick beside it in the record books? I believe several teams have bounty programs , but not to the extent the Saints were found guilty of. I am sure they were more severe in the Buddy Ryan era!

I thought it was pretty severe too. Bill Belichick was caught cheating and all he got was a fine.

I thought it was pretty severe too. Bill Belichick was caught cheating and all he got was a fine.

I might not remember this correctly, but there was not a technical rule against the whole filming thing at that point and it was just considered immoral? They lost a 1st round pick too.

I heard on ESPN that the league had told all teams to stop this and that the Saints continued to do it is why the punishment is so severe.

Exactly, this is a joke and a terrible attempt to act like the NFL can control this type of activity. I am not a Saints fan by any means but this is just trying to save face.

Well,

What will happen to the players? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I am not upset about the act and I am not too peeved about the punishment. What bothers me is that it takes a bounty (that would equate to pennies to you and me) to motivate these professionals to do something that they are already paid for. And on top of that, these are the same professionals that complain about cheap shots, chop blocks and the like. Lets face it, Football is a brutal sport (always has been, always will be) play it like it is supposed to be played, Get paid for the job you do (and do it to the best of your ability) and SHUT UP! Just my 2 cents!

What will happen to the players? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

The NFL is still reviewing punishments for some of the individual players involved.

The NFL is saying the the Saints and in large Sean Payton tried to cover it up from the NFL.

That's why they were punished so hard, for trying to cover it up.

I have always said there is no place for this stuff in the league. It is "bush league". There would be some paybacks by some players if this stuff was not handled. They should be punished severely. The players will and should be suspended and fined as well.

Come to think of it ..... the Saints might not have enough players to field a team. LOL! I hear the Cowboys got rid of a few players.

Reminds me of SMU! This is the DEATH PENALTY! It will take a while to recover and for any kind of respect!

I have always said there is no place for this stuff in the league. It is "bush league". There would be some paybacks by some players if this stuff was not handled. They should be punished severely. The players will and should be suspended and fined as well.

Come to think of it ..... the Saints might not have enough players to field a team. LOL! I hear the Cowboys got rid of a few players.

Reminds me of SMU! This is the DEATH PENALTY! It will take a while to recover and for any kind of respect!

That came to my mind as well, but whats happening with the Saints ain't nothing compared what they did to SMU. It effected the whole campus.

After the league had informed the Saints that they were aware of the bounty program, the Saints according to the NFL, tried to hide and continue the program. If that is the case these penalties are justified. Bounties have no place in sports or where players cling to(or claim) ideas of sportmanship. If you have to get paid to knock the #### out of someone you are probably someone who will cheat.

As a nation of sports fans, where did we go wrong? I've heard Golic on Mike & Mike expound that a win at all costs mentality(if you can get away with it)is okay. This wrong. When I played in the late 70's if you cheated or made a cheap shot your but(t) was out of the game.

That came to my mind as well, but whats happening with the Saints ain't nothing compared what they did to SMU. It effected the whole campus.

I think it will hurt them more than people think. Understand that it is not finished yet. There will be more players suspended. This will make Drew Brees have some very serious thinking. He has to do what is best for him. New Orleans as a fan base and tourist attraction will take a hit as well. This will effect the whole city!

Baron ..... You are so right in those statements.

I think the punishment was over the top for Sean Payton, and the rest was more lenient than I expected from the Goodell. I don't think Gregg Williams will coach again in the NFL, because he had this program at Washington and Buffalo. What this does knock out is any more of players pooling money for big hits, and dissuades any Coach for promoting this type of pool. I think the media had more of an impact on this, because they were acting like the Saints actually knocked someone out of the game, but don't have any proof. In my opinion many of these "bounties" are similar to game #### or corporate sponsor buying someone a suit, watch, television set, dinner for 4 but it was by players. I think many NFL teams have players that huddle up chunk in some money each week, and award the pot or part of the pot to the star player.

I think the punishment was over the top for Sean Payton, and the rest was more lenient than I expected from the Goodell. I don't think Gregg Williams will coach again in the NFL, because he had this program at Washington and Buffalo. What this does knock out is any more of players pooling money for big hits, and dissuades any Coach for promoting this type of pool. I think the media had more of an impact on this, because they were acting like the Saints actually knocked someone out of the game, but don't have any proof. In my opinion many of these "bounties" are similar to game #### or corporate sponsor buying someone a suit, watch, television set, dinner for 4 but it was by players. I think many NFL teams have players that huddle up chunk in some money each week, and award the pot or part of the pot to the star player.

Sean Payton is more guilty than Greg Williams. The New Orleans Saints were warned by the NFL to stop the bounty program 2 years ago. Sean Payton decided to disregard that edict and continue to allow bounties. Now he and his team are paying for their arrogance.

You will never get it. THE INTENT WAS THERE. Did they actually knock someone out, probally not. But if they would of ended someones career. They would have taken food out of their families mouth, made them make a different income that probally wouldnt be in the millions. So is the 7.5 million lost by Payton too much............If they would have ended someones career- 7.5 mill is a small chunck.

They played outside the rules and the NFL wont be played this way foward. We will never see this happen again and thank goodness.

You don't violate the integration of the game. and davetv I heard someone on ESPN even say that sportsmanship is the formost of the NFL. Looks like all the teaching that pee-wee so you called does steer them in the right path!!!!!!!!!!

It is not trying to take the great hits out of football that you call all us trying to do.......it is targeting a player and trying to put him in a cart which could end his career. A letter was sent to all teams to stop it, but they were above the law................. time to pay up

It appears that Jeremy Shockey was the "snitch". I use that word since that's what Warren Sapp called him.

Did you hear Shockey, he got on ESPN radio by phone saying by no way he was the snitch........he was in Off. meetings all the time. Don't know if I trust him though

I don't think there is any footage that shows an intent to bend the rules to injure a player. I take comfort in that.

Now that a day has passed, Sean Payton got the punishment he did due to lying to the NFL's face about his knowledge of the program. I haven't read the 1500 pages, nor will I, but I still think the entire season is still a bit too much.

And no, this isn't the death penalty yet... The Saints still have a full roster and "some" coaching staff left. I, honestly believe that the Saints go from being a legit SB contender this year to a 8-8 or 9-7 Cowboyish finish this year. Too much talent still there (for now) to expect less.

I think the Saints lock up a long-term deal with Brees soon to quiet the storm. Ugh, NFL will not be fun this year...

Sean Payton is more guilty than Greg Williams. The New Orleans Saints were warned by the NFL to stop the bounty program 2 years ago. Sean Payton decided to disregard that edict and continue to allow bounties. Now he and his team are paying for their arrogance.

There's more to it than the in house defensive bonus plan. The NFL suspended Sean Payton not only for that, but for this as well : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/02/saints-vicodin-lawsuit-se_n_560087.html

This makes more sense why he got a year suspension.