• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Lobo97

Lobo97

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,559 posts
  • Interests:Any and all sports from any level. Specifically the Lobos, Longhorns, Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

The Saints just got hit hard...

http://espn.go.com/n...e-year-bounties

Team fined $500K
Loss of 2 Second Rd Draft picks
Greg Williams suspended indefinitely
AND Sean Payton suspended for the year!!!

WOW

#2 Mavgrad99

Mavgrad99

Geaux Tigers

• Moderators
  • 8,112 posts
  • Interests:You can find me in the college forums with my snookems, Eagleborn.

Go Marshall
    Geaux Tigers
    Go Dallas
    Go Rangers

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

This makes me sick. There are 2 things I think are overkill. (1) Sean Payton for an entire year. Half the season (aka 8 games) would put the Saints at a severe disadvantage. I don't know if Sean Payton welcomed the bounties are not for motivation, but he didn't pay, set it up, nor are there any reports of him being directly involved in any of it. He just didn't squash it when he should have, or he failed to follow up on the warnings.

(2) The GM for 8 games... Disgraceful. You take away 2 draft picks, suspend the HC and probably some players... that is enough punishment for any GM who had no knowledge of the system to endure without a suspension.

COME VOTE IN THE COLLEGE FORUMS TOP 10 EACH WEEK! THIS IS OUR USER POLL AND IT IS A GOOD TOPIC OF CONVERSATION. ALL BALLOTS NEED TO BE YOUR TOP 10 ONLY AND SENT TO ME IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE (PM)! DEADLINE WILL BE EVERY TUESDAY AT A RANDOM TIME... SO GET THEM TO ME ON MONDAY EACH WEEK! 

http://www.smoaky.co...howtopic=144539

#3 whocanitbenow

whocanitbenow

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

This makes me sick. There are 2 things I think are overkill. (1) Sean Payton for an entire year. Half the season (aka 8 games) would put the Saints at a severe disadvantage. I don't know if Sean Payton welcomed the bounties are not for motivation, but he didn't pay, set it up, nor are there any reports of him being directly involved in any of it. He just didn't squash it when he should have, or he failed to follow up on the warnings.

(2) The GM for 8 games... Disgraceful. You take away 2 draft picks, suspend the HC and probably some players... that is enough punishment for any GM who had no knowledge of the system to endure without a suspension.

Roger Goddell aint playin around

#4 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

The guy who was told to stop it only gets 8 games(Loomis)? What? You going to hammer Peyton(unlees he knew more than he let on) and Williams( deserved) why go lenient on Loomis?

#5 mav6325

mav6325

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Several.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

Wow! My question is, did they really knockout or injure that many players during the bounty program? Shocked Goodell didn't strip the Saints of the 2009 Superbowl trophy! Another question, should the 2009 Superbowl have an asterick beside it in the record books? I believe several teams have bounty programs , but not to the extent the Saints were found guilty of. I am sure they were more severe in the Buddy Ryan era!

#6 Lobo97

Lobo97

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,559 posts
  • Interests:Any and all sports from any level. Specifically the Lobos, Longhorns, Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers!

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

I thought it was pretty severe too. Bill Belichick was caught cheating and all he got was a fine.

#7 goldandwhite

goldandwhite

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

The wussification of the NFL continues...

#8 Valhalla

Valhalla

RED IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Interests:Sooners and the Thunder.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

I thought it was pretty severe too. Bill Belichick was caught cheating and all he got was a fine.

I might not remember this correctly, but there was not a technical rule against the whole filming thing at that point and it was just considered immoral? They lost a 1st round pick too.

I heard on ESPN that the league had told all teams to stop this and that the Saints continued to do it is why the punishment is so severe.
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
-Mike Ditka-

"What it comes down to is that anybody can win with the best horse.What makes you good is if you can take the second or third best horse and win."

#9 LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Exactly, this is a joke and a terrible attempt to act like the NFL can control this type of activity. I am not a Saints fan by any means but this is just trying to save face.

#10 PGHawkfan

PGHawkfan

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:East Texas High School sports, SEC Football

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Well,

What will happen to the players? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I am not upset about the act and I am not too peeved about the punishment. What bothers me is that it takes a bounty (that would equate to pennies to you and me) to motivate these professionals to do something that they are already paid for. And on top of that, these are the same professionals that complain about cheap shots, chop blocks and the like. Lets face it, Football is a brutal sport (always has been, always will be) play it like it is supposed to be played, Get paid for the job you do (and do it to the best of your ability) and SHUT UP! Just my 2 cents!

HNOD!  

Dedication +  Detirmination = Domination

#11 Valhalla

Valhalla

RED IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,546 posts
  • Interests:Sooners and the Thunder.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

What will happen to the players? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

The NFL is still reviewing punishments for some of the individual players involved.

The NFL is saying the the Saints and in large Sean Payton tried to cover it up from the NFL.

That's why they were punished so hard, for trying to cover it up.
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
-Mike Ditka-

"What it comes down to is that anybody can win with the best horse.What makes you good is if you can take the second or third best horse and win."

#12 Crawford

Crawford

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

After listen to all these punishment being handed down today, I counldn't help but think how ironic that it was happening to the "Saints"

#13 Lion70

Lion70

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,202 posts
  • Interests:My beautiful daughter Jayda Lynn and my lovely wife Meghan
    Highschool football
    Henderson Lions 3A Division1 State Champions 2010
    Texas Aggies, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers,Dallas Mavs

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Its about right cause the NfL is protecting itself from future lawsuits. I mean a few yrs you would be in court and the can say you didn't nothing Roger. This way it protects themselfs. Plus the image of the NfL will take a a bda PR hit if nothing was done.

#14 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,921 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Way over the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like Goodell is wanting pro ball to be the Nazi Football League.
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#15 spacegolfer

spacegolfer

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

I have always said there is no place for this stuff in the league. It is "bush league". There would be some paybacks by some players if this stuff was not handled. They should be punished severely. The players will and should be suspended and fined as well.

Come to think of it ..... the Saints might not have enough players to field a team. LOL! I hear the Cowboys got rid of a few players.

Reminds me of SMU! This is the DEATH PENALTY! It will take a while to recover and for any kind of respect!

Mark 11:23 New King James Version (NKJV)
23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."
David Brinkley

Perspective instantiates reality.....

#16 Crawford

Crawford

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

I have always said there is no place for this stuff in the league. It is "bush league". There would be some paybacks by some players if this stuff was not handled. They should be punished severely. The players will and should be suspended and fined as well.

Come to think of it ..... the Saints might not have enough players to field a team. LOL! I hear the Cowboys got rid of a few players.

Reminds me of SMU! This is the DEATH PENALTY! It will take a while to recover and for any kind of respect!

That came to my mind as well, but whats happening with the Saints ain't nothing compared what they did to SMU. It effected the whole campus.

#17 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
  • Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

After the league had informed the Saints that they were aware of the bounty program, the Saints according to the NFL, tried to hide and continue the program. If that is the case these penalties are justified. Bounties have no place in sports or where players cling to(or claim) ideas of sportmanship. If you have to get paid to knock the #### out of someone you are probably someone who will cheat.
As a nation of sports fans, where did we go wrong? I've heard Golic on Mike & Mike expound that a win at all costs mentality(if you can get away with it)is okay. This wrong. When I played in the late 70's if you cheated or made a cheap shot your but(t) was out of the game.
Who is John Galt?

#18 spacegolfer

spacegolfer

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

That came to my mind as well, but whats happening with the Saints ain't nothing compared what they did to SMU. It effected the whole campus.

I think it will hurt them more than people think. Understand that it is not finished yet. There will be more players suspended. This will make Drew Brees have some very serious thinking. He has to do what is best for him. New Orleans as a fan base and tourist attraction will take a hit as well. This will effect the whole city!

Baron ..... You are so right in those statements.

Mark 11:23 New King James Version (NKJV)
23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him."
David Brinkley

Perspective instantiates reality.....

#19 TyperWoods

TyperWoods

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • Interests:THE University of Texas

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

After listen to all these punishment being handed down today, I counldn't help but think how ironic that it was happening to the "Saints"

The new "America's Team". Remember?
THE University of Texas - Our kind makes an imprint on our country, and a mark on our culture. The salute of a citizenry, and the sign of a nation. One flag, one star, one state, one school. Texas builds names. More than legends, they are standards.

HOOK'EM

I am TyperWoods. Often imitiated, never duplicated.

#20 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I think the punishment was over the top for Sean Payton, and the rest was more lenient than I expected from the Goodell. I don't think Gregg Williams will coach again in the NFL, because he had this program at Washington and Buffalo. What this does knock out is any more of players pooling money for big hits, and dissuades any Coach for promoting this type of pool. I think the media had more of an impact on this, because they were acting like the Saints actually knocked someone out of the game, but don't have any proof. In my opinion many of these "bounties" are similar to game #### or corporate sponsor buying someone a suit, watch, television set, dinner for 4 but it was by players. I think many NFL teams have players that huddle up chunk in some money each week, and award the pot or part of the pot to the star player.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users