4 replies to this topic

#1 kramer

kramer

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

"This is the first time in 12 years of coaching I had a spring break with no practices, no games,” “I’ll never do it again." A coaches quote from the Longview Newspaper after losing a game.

Why would a soccer coach not have practice during spring break? Wow!

#2 SOCCERBUFF

SOCCERBUFF

Earn your shirt!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

9 days off is a lot of days off but after 12 years maybe the coach wanted to finally have a spring break with his family. I have been doing this for 21 years and never have had a spring break off. It has crossed my mind many times! With spring break being on the 2nd week of March and our first playoff game being on April 3rd it was very tempting.

Sometimes we forget that coaches have families also!! My wife lets me know all the time....lol

#3 kramer

kramer

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ive been in the business for over 20 years and only twice did I actually have a spring break and that was because I wasn't coaching those two springs. Between coaching soccer for some years and track, you don't expect a break.

#4 tiger19

tiger19

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Ive been in the business for over 20 years and only twice did I actually have a spring break and that was because I wasn't coaching those two springs. Between coaching soccer for some years and track, you don't expect a break.

You have trained those kids since Sept 1st. The longview girls and boys had already clinched playoffs. Our district is different in that you play on Thursday of Spring break and then not again until the following Friday after spring break. No reason to bring your kids back on thursday or friday for two days when you can meet up on the monday and get full week in. Sometimes you take a chance let your kids regroup, repair, and get ready to finish out season fresh. Not being mean but unless your out there with them everyday you cant judge a coaches decision. This coach admitted it wasnt the right one. However, they went right back on the friday and clinched the district championships.

#5 kramer

kramer

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

You have trained those kids since Sept 1st. The longview girls and boys had already clinched playoffs. Our district is different in that you play on Thursday of Spring break and then not again until the following Friday after spring break. No reason to bring your kids back on thursday or friday for two days when you can meet up on the monday and get full week in. Sometimes you take a chance let your kids regroup, repair, and get ready to finish out season fresh. Not being mean but unless your out there with them everyday you cant judge a coaches decision. This coach admitted it wasnt the right one. However, they went right back on the friday and clinched the district championships.

Makes sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users