#1 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • Interests:I woke up, and here I was.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

Guessing 7 rounds of a draft isn't relatively easy. I suppose I'll endure quite a bit of 'mocking' for it..

No. 14 - G David DeCastro, Stanford

A common pick, nothing spectacular. To me, he's a sure thing. There's a possibility that Kansas City may take DeCastro...Pioli is a very BPA oriented GM and likes to concentrate on linemen early.

no. 45 - DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

I originally had a cornerback taken in this spot. I also believe Mark Barron, with his injury, may fall to the 2nd, and Dallas has shown a theme of taking talented, injured players and being patient. If Barron isn't around, Crick is another injured, albeit talented, defensive player they should jump on.

no. 81 - CB Josh Robinson, UCF

A fluid, quick-hipped man corner. He can also drive on throws well, something Dallas loves in their off-man coverages. I have steered away from immature, troubled corners because I believe Dallas will do the same.

no. 113 - OLB Shea McClellin, Boise State

A high motor, versatile player with great hands. He brings value as a pass rusher, and Rob Ryan will be able to move him around. Dallas has brought in other linebackers that may fall to this round, such as Texas' Keenan Robinson, but I prefer McClellin if he's available.

no. 135 - WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa

I considered Marquis Maze, but doubted his work ethic and size. McNutt is a long, sure-handed "Z" receiver who can box out corners or out-leap them. He isn't going to take the top off the defense, but he's the kind of guy that can slant you to death.

no. 152 - OLB/ILB Brett Roy, Nebraska

Physical tackler and hard-fighting tweener. Plays a variety of positions and lives the game; the kind of player Dallas needs more of. Emmanuel Acho of Texas is a possibility, and Dallas has worked him out personally. Dallas could also find some offensive tackles here to battle Jeremy Parnell for a roster spot.

no. 186 - FS Aaron Henry, Wisconsin

There will be higher-rated corners who may drop this far, purely because of the depth. I had settled on a guy that could provide special teams experience, such as cornerback Trevin Wade. Since I'm unsure of who may fall this far, I settled on deep zone defender Aaron Henry.

no. 222 - TE David Paulson, Oregon

The Cowboys are probably looking for someone to play the "F" receiver. Rather than look for an F back that can block and catch, Dallas signed FB Vickers and will likely look for an off-line tight end. If Dallas can't find an F back to challenge John Phillips, they may go for a plodding, poor-catching "Y" tight end to free Witten from the role a little. There just aren't any good ones.

There we are. I do not like the prospect of taking an OLB at 14, who would basically be sharing time with Anthony Spencer (if he signs his tender). Courtney Upshaw doesn't seem like much of an improvement as a pass rusher, and Melvin Ingram doesn't provide anything that Victor Butler doesn't. As such, I believe Spencer/Butler will split their duties again while adding a good gapping DE (Crick) and some linebacker possibilities (McClellin, Roy).

I believe Dallas will look for hard-working, press-bail man corners rather than zone corners like Kirkpatrick. I wouldn't rule out Kirkpatrick, especially if Dallas trades down.

I really, really wanted to mock Barron to the 2nd round, but I figured that was too optimistic. I do believe he may last to the early 2nd.

I wanted to find a dynamic F back for Dallas to will give them something that Bennett and Phillips do not; a guy like Coby Fleener. There aren't many good tight ends this year, and they'll require early draft picks to secure them.

I didn't find a spot for a favorite of mine, Georgia center Ben Jones. Dallas may look for a swing tackle, and taking DeCastro means there may be a position battle at center between Nagy, Arkin, and Bernandau.

#2 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

It would be some interesting picks of players that would compete and they have produced in college, not spectaculer but the boys have drafted worse in real life.
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#3 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

It would be some interesting picks of players that would compete and they have produced in college, not spectaculer but the boys have drafted worse in real life.

It is true that the Cowboys have a long history of reaching for small school talent. It was prevalent before Jerry Jones bought the team, and continued until just this past year.

Although it has landed Dallas some truly outstanding players (Larry Allen especially, and recently Sean Lissemore from St. Mary's) it also causes such horrible misfires (most recently, A. Owasu-Ansah)

However, last year Dallas seemed to stick to more proven, large college prospects. I tried to reflect that a little, rather than mock another Will Rackley, like I did last year.

#4 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

Liberalism is a disease ... and I'm the cure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,807 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

As many holes as the Cowboys have ... they just need to grab the best player available when their number is up. Hopefully they won't out think themselves into more mediocre talent.

GARRISON BULLDOGS - 2003 Class AA Div II State Champs

"It still amazes me that letting hard working Americans keep more of their hard earned wages is considered government spending by liberals." - KF

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/square-med-atf.gif

#5 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

As many holes as the Cowboys have ... they just need to grab the best player available when their number is up.

YES!! YES!! YES!!
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#6 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

.Would love to get the OL out of stanford, and my only hope is that the Boys sighned those other two backup guards in free-agency was to trick other teams behind them not to trade up and pick the stanford guard.

Crick could be a reach in the second round, and I have seen him going as late as 6th with some so called experts. Saying all that it never hurts to have a Blakshirt on your defense.

Josh Robison-Why did he leave college early? Dont ask why just take him.

Shea- Love the pick he is your Zach Thomas, Dat Nguyen type guy who can play but none of the experts want to admit it.

McNutt- Runs good routes and catches the football, sorta like what a wr should be but not flashy or fast. Total opposite of Dez Bryant and that would be a good thing.Catching the football.

Bret Roy- I thought he played at Nevada? Hard nosed player but I would rather go with a tackle. or a DB

Henry- Good to get DB help

The TE Paulson is a nice pick but if we just want a pass cathcer at TE then if that Hanna TE from Okie is there take him..... James Hanna is a really interesting prospect. He was by far the most athletic and fastest tight end at the combine with a 4.49 40 and a 36.5 inch vertical leap. He had just 50 catches for 702 yards and nine touchdowns in his four-year career at Oklahoma. He will be a project at the next level but so were Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates at first.
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#7 stevosev7

stevosev7

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Looks like our number 1 is going to come from Alabama...Narrows it down to 3 guys.

#8 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

Bret Roy- I thought he played at Nevada? Hard nosed player but I would rather go with a tackle. or a DB

The TE Paulson is a nice pick but if we just want a pass cathcer at TE then if that Hanna TE from Okie is there take him..... James Hanna is a really interesting prospect. He was by far the most athletic and fastest tight end at the combine with a 4.49 40 and a 36.5 inch vertical leap. He had just 50 catches for 702 yards and nine touchdowns in his four-year career at Oklahoma. He will be a project at the next level but so were Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates at first.

You are correct about Roy...he's from Nevada. Mistake on my part. He spent most of his time playing DT, but he can switch to linebacker.

I think Paulson and Hanna will be two different breeds. Hanna is more of a "Y" tight end, which I don't think Paulson can do; he isn't much of a blocker. If the Cowboys really like Phillips, they may go with more of an in-line blocker. I figured Dallas needs one or the other, although I don't like the lower round tight ends too much. Dallas may not draft one.

#9 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Think the McNutt kid from Iowa would be a great fit with Miles and Dez. He's a different type reciever than them.

Decastro, Barron or one of the top CB's should be our first rounder. I dont really trust Coples, Ingram, Poe to be a game changing pass rusher that we could use.

Crick may be a good value pick there in the second round. Potential first round talent with inury problems.

We may have to take a CB or two this draft. Jenkins wants an extension, ie Brandon Carr money at least. Scandrick is way overpaid for a slot CB. One maybe both could be gone next year.

#10 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

Decastro, Barron or one of the top CB's should be our first rounder. I dont really trust Coples, Ingram, Poe to be a game changing pass rusher that we could use.

If I thought Coples would be available at 14, then Dallas should run to the podium to snatch him up. Ingram I'm not sure; he's a good pass rusher but I get the feeling he'd be a better DE in an even front than a 3-4 linebacker. I don't like Poe; he's big but produces little. I don't much like Brockers either. Fletcher Cox is a different story; I'd be pretty happy if we drafted him.

Dallas' first rounder is a bit high for any corners outside of Claiborne. Barron should be a low first rounder at best; he's injured, and even though he's the best safety, he's still a strong safety.

#11 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
  • Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

1st rd - Mark Barron S Ala
2nd rd - Josh Robinson CB UCF
3rd rd - Kelechi Osemele OG Iowa St
4th rd - Michael Egnew TE Mizz
Who is John Galt?

#12 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

There has been a bit more detail coming out now about who Dallas brings in for their visits. I would probably switch a Josh Robinson with Casey Heyward/Jamell Fleming, and Brett Roy with Braylon Broughton of TCU.

If Dallas can't get DeCastro at 14, which I would be surprised if he lands earlier, Fletcher Cox would be higher on my list than the remaining corners.

#13 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Listening to Path To The Draft, it seems every team drafting after the Cowboys are targeting Barron. I wouldn't be surprised if a team traded to 13 to take him before the Cowboys, especially those hated iggles. Wouldn't be the first time they did that!
Who is John Galt?

#14 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Listening to Path To The Draft, it seems every team drafting after the Cowboys are targeting Barron. I wouldn't be surprised if a team traded to 13 to take him before the Cowboys, especially those hated iggles. Wouldn't be the first time they did that!

If they give up what they did in the Brandon Graham trade, I wouldn't mind if they did.

I've seen some rumors myself that the Top 10 will be fairly offense-heavy. That may leave guys like Ingram/Coples/Upshaw/Kirkpatrick/Cox all there at 14.

For a team like Cincy, Dallas could trade back and still get a great defensive player. If the entire first round is heavy on wide receivers or offensive players in general, it could really help Dallas in the 2nd round as well.

I also see that my extremely bias like of Shea McClellin may blow up in my face if he goes in the late 1st-early 2nd.

#15 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Either Lindys or Pro Football Weekly had us taking Kirkpatrick in the 1st and Upshaw in the secong.

#16 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Either Lindys or Pro Football Weekly had us taking Kirkpatrick in the 1st and Upshaw in the secong.

Seems like a long drop for Upshaw, but couldn't complain if that's how it shakes out.

#17 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

If Upshaw is there in the 2nd Jerry better take him, although I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Barron were sitting there at 14 and Jerry passed.
Who is John Galt?

#18 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

To me this should be a hard draft for JJ to mess up. Stand pat at 14, trade up or trade down- take the best guy available. As many holes as we have it'll fill one of them. Then again its Jerry Jones.

Where is all this love for Dontari Poe coming from? Does he have the eye dropping workout numbers? Yes. Is that worth taking him in the first round? No. A huge bust waiting to happen to me.

If the Fleener kid from Stanford falls to the second round could that solve both are TE and third WR problem?

What are we looking for at safety? SS or FS or in Ryan's system are they a mixture of the two? MArk Barron is the big name. I've heard his style of play compared to OU Roy Williams. Harrison Smith from ND is supposedly more a FS type.

#19 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

To me this should be a hard draft for JJ to mess up. Stand pat at 14, trade up or trade down- take the best guy available. As many holes as we have it'll fill one of them. Then again its Jerry Jones.

Where is all this love for Dontari Poe coming from? Does he have the eye dropping workout numbers? Yes. Is that worth taking him in the first round? No. A huge bust waiting to happen to me.

If the Fleener kid from Stanford falls to the second round could that solve both are TE and third WR problem?

What are we looking for at safety? SS or FS or in Ryan's system are they a mixture of the two? MArk Barron is the big name. I've heard his style of play compared to OU Roy Williams. Harrison Smith from ND is supposedly more a FS type.

I think part of the rise of Dontari Poe is that nose tackles that get drafted on "planet theory" that can fit into the Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 are impossible to find. When I've watched some of his plays, he's playing the 5 technique quite a bit. Teams probably think he'll do a better job at a more natural position.

Fleener might get pushed to the 2nd round, tough to tell how long he'll last. He does have some back problems to worry about.

I don't like taking Barron at 14, but I also don't think he compares to Roy Williams beyond that their both box safeties. Barron is a better study and lives in the film room; Roy Williams did not. He can be more of a leader and make secondary calls. Barron might struggle going backward in pass defense like Williams did, though.

Harrison Smith is the typical "centerfield" free safety, and he's probably the best one and he'll go 2nd round.

#20 stevosev7

stevosev7

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Signs are pointing more and more toward Courtney Upshaw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users