• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

If it is a move up only 2-3 spots, I would assume it would only cost a 3rd or 2nd.

I know there is a formula teams use to determine value for trades like this, but I don't know where to find it off the top of my head.

Looks like you were right Cat.

#42 unclejohn

unclejohn

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

1. Given the price Washington put up for the 2nd pick, I would assume the 5th pick is expensive, and involves your 1st pick for next year just to get a conversation with TB.

2. I would be ecstatic with a Cox/McClellin draft. I'm starting to doubt Cox will be around at 14, or that the Patriots won't scoop up McClellin at 27. I hope I'm wrong.

3. The Cowboys need an 'F' that can either be a wide receiver in our "11 Personnel" formation, or a flexed tight end. Seeing as the receiver position is so much deeper than the tight end class, I would assume we'll get a receiver.

Looks like you were wrong on all ends. :)

#43 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Expensive move, but I like it !!! The best defensive player in the draft IMO. The fact that it was the Best Available Athlete AND the greatest need is just icing on the cake.
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#44 unclejohn

unclejohn

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Expensive move, but I like it !!! The best defensive player in the draft IMO. The fact that it was the Best Available Athlete AND the greatest need is just icing on the cake.

He scored a 4 on his wonderlic test also. :)

#45 goldandwhite

goldandwhite

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

How well does one have to do on a test to cover a receiver, make an interception or open field tackle, or return punts well? The guy was an All-American player and Jim Thorpe award winner.

#46 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Would it be worth it to trade up into the top 10, maybe top 5 for a Claiborne?

Dang I wish I went ahead and called this. lol

#47 unclejohn

unclejohn

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

How well does one have to do on a test to cover a receiver, make an interception or open field tackle, or return punts well? The guy was an All-American player and Jim Thorpe award winner.

Vince Young was also very highly decorated in college and failed his test. May be a pattern?

#48 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,270 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

Vince Young was also very highly decorated in college and failed his test. May be a pattern?

Vince Young, as a Pro Prospect had MAJOR questions about how highly he was drafted. (as did Tebow...wonder what his score was ??). Claiborne has nothing that says anything but star CB in his projections. You could find pages upon pages of articles written about Young & Tebow as long-shots at the next level. Not so here
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#49 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

Mel Kiper threw out a Revis comparison after the pick. Claiborne was worth the additional 2nd rd pick. Barron would have been worth it as well.
Who is John Galt?

#50 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Defensive theme continues. Tyrone Crawford is alot like Marcus Spears, good against the run.
Who is John Galt?

#51 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:I woke up, and here I was.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

Defensive theme continues. Tyrone Crawford is alot like Marcus Spears, good against the run.

I don't think they're even close to the same player; Crawford can shoot gaps and is an athletic monster.

there is similarity in that they have strong work ethics and high motors, but beyond that, they don't compare. Crawford is much faster with a better first step, and longer arms. He's strong but inexperienced. He is scheme-versatile. Hell, it's possible he could line up at OLB.

Spears has a heavier anchor and can hold double teams, and could start right away; Crawford can't do that yet at the 5 technique, but he has a high ceiling.

If we're lucky, he'll be able to help us in passing situations this year, while Spears will stick to run situations.

Michael Brockers to me was Spears 2.0. Hope the Rams have fun with him. Crawford had 14 sacks and 27 TFL in two years...that's more than Fletcher Cox and Nick Fairley.

#52 rattler88

rattler88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

I don't think they're even close to the same player; Crawford can shoot gaps and is an athletic monster.

there is similarity in that they have strong work ethics and high motors, but beyond that, they don't compare. Crawford is much faster with a better first step, and longer arms. He's strong but inexperienced. He is scheme-versatile. Hell, it's possible he could line up at OLB.

Spears has a heavier anchor and can hold double teams, and could start right away; Crawford can't do that yet at the 5 technique, but he has a high ceiling.

If we're lucky, he'll be able to help us in passing situations this year, while Spears will stick to run situations.

Michael Brockers to me was Spears 2.0. Hope the Rams have fun with him. Crawford had 14 sacks and 27 TFL in two years...that's more than Fletcher Cox and Nick Fairley.

Very well put

#53 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

I had no idea who Matt Johnson was. After watching him for a bit, it is hard not to like him.

Same can be said for Caleb McSurdy as well. He seems like a Dat Nguyen kind of guy; undersized, but always around the ball. He stands out when I go back to videos highlighting CB Trumaine Johnson.

#54 MaravichVSChitwood

MaravichVSChitwood

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:NBA (Mavs), NCAA Men's Basketball (Aggies, Tar Heels), NCAA Football (Aggies), NFL (Cowboys, Broncos) MLB (Rangers, BoSox), Alex Morgan, Natalie Gulbis, and the PGA Tour.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

You do realize he has a learning disability, right? The Wonderlic Test doesn't have the modification forms of testing that most colleges, ALL high school/elementary schools have now days for kids.

Overheard a great interview with Todd McShay and Bill Polian on NFL Radio regarding this and both of them said the same thing: His learning disability could've had a GREAT deal with his score on the test. However, Vince Young, to their knowledge, didn't have a learning disability.

As much as I don't like the longhorns, I have to admit Young was the most dominant player when he was in college. However, he didn't really amount to anything in the pros. I think Claiborne will be a legit NFL player and the comparison to Revis is a great comparison.
"Love never fails. Character never quits. And with patience and persistence, dreams do come true." - Pistol Pete Maravich

Coach Norman Dale: We're going to use Jimmy as the decoy. Get the ball in and set a pick for Buddy. He's going to take the last shot....(silence) What's the matter with you guys??"
Jimmy Chitwood:....I'll make it.

Posted Image

#55 stoneykelly

stoneykelly

Backwoods Mafia

• Moderators
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Crawford- The more you see this guy on film the more you'll like him. More of a pass rush than Spears.

Wilbur- If he can give us Bulter type production this year I'll be happy.

Hanna & Coale- Hanna has the speed, Coale has the hands. Good pickups late.

McSurdy- DMN reported that Peete had him practice at FB.

#56 badblackcat

badblackcat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

The Cowboys have also added DE Aston Whiteside and OLB Adrian Hamilton. Dallas added quite a few guys with pass rushing talent; hard for all of them to make the roster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users