• Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Here is my thing, why not just do away with the mid majors. Let them play each other and create a new division with just the big time programs. That's 70 teams for 1 title. The problem is, it still doesn't help the playoff problem. The 9th team will still have a case. The only logical solution of we have to have a playoff is to create the super conferences and take the top 2 from each. And if we are going to do that then no OOC. It's watered down easy wins. 12 conference games.

Now all that sounds like the best way to "crown a champion" to me, but I dont think its worth it. We are talking about completely altering what we all love about college sports. Tradition, rivalries, pageantry.... That will all change with a playoff. I for one am not a fan of altering something that's been done for nearly 100 years just because every 2-3 years a team gets mad because they feel they were more deserving than another.

No they won't. It won't be any different than March Madness when it was 64 teams. Sure it ### if you're a fan of team 65 or 9 in this case, but that's the way it is.
A four team format would have allowed OSU and Stanford or Oregon into the mix last year. That's a good thing, eight teams is even better without diluting the process. The interest would be higher than what you get with the bowl system as is. How many people on this board watched the Pinstripe Bowl last year? Or the Meineke Car Care Bowl? A playoff system in college football would be a ratings bonanza for TV or cable.
Who is John Galt?

#22 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Agreed. I'm fine with non AQs being in BCS games, but if it's them or a team with the same record from a BCS conference, it's a no brainer, especially the Big 12 champ. Bama, LSU, OSU and Stanford would have been a great plus 1 final four.

At the end of the day, coaches and players from schools that matter don't want a playoff. The only teams that want playoffs are the little guys who just want a shot at the giants to gain a little national attention.

#23 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

At the end of the day, coaches and players from schools that matter don't want a playoff.

This is correct, except that it's coaches and AD's. I doubt what the players want has any bearing at all.

#24 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,561 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

This is correct, except that it's coaches and AD's. I doubt what the players want has any bearing at all.

I was just saying. They enjoy their vacations and goody bags.

#25 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:13 PM

I was just saying. They enjoy their vacations and goody bags.

Oh yeah, I gotcha I'm agreeing totally. This very simple yet important concept seems to elude most college football fans.

Not picking on Stoops, but I heard him say(several years ago) in an interview that he was NOT in favor of a playoff system. I think he was being quite honest, and of course the BCS system has worked out very well for OU....especially up to that point in time. I think most coaches feel the same way that Stoops does and I appreciated his candor on the subject.

#26 TyperWoods

TyperWoods

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • Interests:THE University of Texas

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Only once in the last 40 years has the true champion been crowned.

THE University of Texas - Our kind makes an imprint on our country, and a mark on our culture. The salute of a citizenry, and the sign of a nation. One flag, one star, one state, one school. Texas builds names. More than legends, they are standards.

HOOK'EM

I am TyperWoods. Often imitiated, never duplicated.

#27 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Only once in the last 40 years has the true champion been crowned.

Lmao
Hate to lose more than you love to win, and winning will be your only option!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users