Liberalism is a disease ... and I'm the cure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

By JOHN MERLINE
INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
Posted 04/20/2012 08:02 AM ET

A record 5.4 million workers and their dependents have signed up to collect federal disability checks since President Obama took office, according to the latest official government data, as discouraged workers increasingly give up looking for jobs and take advantage of the federal program.

This is straining already-stretched government finances while posing a long-term economic threat by creating an ever-growing pool of permanently dependent working-age Americans.

Since the recession ended in June 2009, the number of new enrollees to Social Security's disability insurance program is twice the job growth figure. (See nearby chart.) In just the first four months of this year, 539,000 joined the disability rolls and more than 725,000 put in applications.

As a result, by April there were a total of 10.8 million people on disability, according to Social Security Administration data released this week. Even after accounting for all those who've left the program about 700,000 drop out each year, mainly because they hit retirement age or died that's up 53% from a decade ago.

To be sure, disability rolls have grown steadily as a share of the workforce since the 1990s (see nearby chart).

The main causes of this broader trend, according to a study by economists David Autor and Mark Duggan, are the loosening of eligibility rules by Congress in 1984, the rise in disability benefits relative to wages, and the fact that more women have entered the workforce, making them eligible for disability.

Their research found that the aging of the population has contributed only modestly to the program's growth.

But the big factor in the recent surge is the slow pace of the economic recovery after the severe recession. That has kept the unemployment rate above 8% and created an enormous pool of long-term unemployed and discouraged workers. More than 5 million people have been jobless for 27 weeks or more, nearly twice the previous high set in 1983, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

"We see a lot of people applying for disability once their unemployment insurance expires," said Matthew Rutledge, a research economist at Boston College's Center for Retirement Research.

http://news.investor...under-obama.htm

GARRISON BULLDOGS - 2003 Class AA Div II State Champs

"It still amazes me that letting hard working Americans keep more of their hard earned wages is considered government spending by liberals." - KF

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/square-med-atf.gif

#2 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,907 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

It's a shame what many people are found to be and granted a disability for as well.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#3 JTFAN99

JTFAN99

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

although you are correct, Disability claims have rose to historical rates since 1989. In other words, the amount of Americans signing up for disability has been increasing since 1989. (So when Bush 2 left office, disability was at an all time high, When Bill Clinton left office it was at an all time high, and when Bush 1 left office, it was at an all time high) And its probably going to happen with the next president as well.
http://www.thegatewa...ama-disability/
Proverbs Ch.18:2

Proverbs Ch.26:4-5

Proverbs Ch.29:9,11,& 20

#4 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Not only disability, but food stamps as well:

http://blogs.ajc.com...s_business_beat

A question, JT...since you're for Ron Paul. If he is elected and fires hundreds of government workers in all those departments he's discussed (of which I agree), and we actually put the country back on track, there are going to be some awfully bad hits being taken...folks will have to get up and find something to do to make money...whatever that is......and funding for food stamps and disability are lowered substantially, first unemployment rate will go up, but if businesses believe that Paul is giving them a chance to "create", if you will, in 2 years, what do you think will happen to the House and Senate, after everyone has "suffered", shall we say, and businesses can't bring back all those jobs within 2 years?

#5 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

A question, JT...since you're for Ron Paul. If he is elected and fires hundreds of government workers in all those departments he's discussed (of which I agree), and we actually put the country back on track, there are going to be some awfully bad hits being taken...folks will have to get up and find something to do to make money...whatever that is......and funding for food stamps and disability are lowered substantially, first unemployment rate will go up, but if businesses believe that Paul is giving them a chance to "create", if you will, in 2 years, what do you think will happen to the House and Senate, after everyone has "suffered", shall we say, and businesses can't bring back all those jobs within 2 years?

Do you REALLY believe he is for Ron Paul? The way he feebly defends Obama, I seriously doubt his support is real.

"It still amazes me that letting hard working Americans keep more of their hard earned wages is considered government spending by liberals." - KF

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 DLine06

DLine06

The 83rd Black Belt of Professor Klay Pittman

• Moderators
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Born on 1/25/88.

Former Boxer and current martial artist in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Do you REALLY believe he is for Ron Paul? The way he feebly defends Obama, I seriously doubt his support is real.

Kirt your being highly silly. JT is for Ron Paul. The thing is, he calls things out on a fair an equal basis and is highly critical of both Democrats and the Republicans that you are die hard passionate about. JT is more center than you think. Like me, he sees issues in a different perspective especially with minorities and their history.
"Be a good leader! If that's not your style, be a wise follower." (Klay Pittman).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Kirt your being highly silly. JT is for Ron Paul. The thing is, he calls things out on a fair an equal basis and is highly critical of both Democrats and the Republicans that you are die hard passionate about. JT is more center than you think. Like me, he sees issues in a different perspective especially with minorities and their history.

I think his "token" support for RP is a cover for his true support of Obama. That's my take anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 DLine06

DLine06

• Moderators
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

I think his "token" support for RP is a cover for his true support of Obama. That's my take anyway.

A person that calls out the faults of not only the Democrats but the Republicans as well is not a supporter of Obama. That's called a person that looks at things holistically and doesn't just strictly vote party line. It's also a shallow take without considering the person's background as well as his knowledge and, I know JT is highly intelligent.

I'll be the first one to say that if Ron Paul isn't the nominee then I rather have Obama for the simple fact will likely to be deadlocked with the House Republicans and that they'll be more Republicans in the Senate. 8 years of fiscal policy under Bush and the sorts was terrible. Until I see an actual WORKING budget from Romney in which there will be surplus, not deficit and he can stand consistently on political issues he should not.

Fact of the matter is Romney couldn't beat John McCain (which was by far one of the biggest jokes of a nomination) and was trumped at one point by Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum and doesn't have the economic prowess like Ron Paul. Sadly he ran the governorship in Massachusetts. Does that not warrant the challenge flag-How in the heck can you be Republican, conservative and run for THAT state? Why not run in your home state of Michigan or a more conservative state?

I really wish someone can explain why Romney is the better candidate based on his credentials and not the I hate/dislike/can't tolerate Obama logic. This election at the end is going to mirror the 2004 election in which people did not like Bush but John Kerry just doesn't have the credentials.
"Be a good leader! If that's not your style, be a wise follower." (Klay Pittman).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

^ Wow... well, okay.

1) Romney versus Obama - Romney has actually had a job and made money, and "fixed companies" - Obama - zilch.
(And some companies failed, but more flourished)

2) Romney is not McCain.

3) If Paul isn't on the ticket against Obama, and you vote for Obama, you're assuming that the Senate and the House can stop him. House hasn't been able to stop him yet...questionable the Senate can do it. And you find that after the fact, whether R's took over the Senate? That's assuming an awful lot.

4) How can one be a Paul supporter, but then turn around and vote for Obama...that, in my opinion, is totally bizarre. You would be, by that vote, agreeing to Obamacare and everything else Obama has done.

5) As to Romney versus Obama on budget surplus or not - Obama won't; Romney has a chance.

6) As to Romney in Massachusetts...isn't the libertarian stance of choice and freedom its mantle? You're sounding like a liberal - my way or no way.

Let's face it, no candidate is going to please all the people...but one thing that needs to be done is to stop Obama, period. Even if Romney is a moderate, he'll slow it down somewhat, and then there's another election.

#10 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

A person that calls out the faults of not only the Democrats but the Republicans as well is not a supporter of Obama. That's called a person that looks at things holistically and doesn't just strictly vote party line. It's also a shallow take without considering the person's background as well as his knowledge and, I know JT is highly intelligent.

I'll be the first one to say that if Ron Paul isn't the nominee then I rather have Obama for the simple fact will likely to be deadlocked with the House Republicans and that they'll be more Republicans in the Senate. 8 years of fiscal policy under Bush and the sorts was terrible. Until I see an actual WORKING budget from Romney in which there will be surplus, not deficit and he can stand consistently on political issues he should not.

Fact of the matter is Romney couldn't beat John McCain (which was by far one of the biggest jokes of a nomination) and was trumped at one point by Michelle Bachman, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry, Rick Santorum and doesn't have the economic prowess like Ron Paul. Sadly he ran the governorship in Massachusetts. Does that not warrant the challenge flag-How in the heck can you be Republican, conservative and run for THAT state? Why not run in your home state of Michigan or a more conservative state?

I really wish someone can explain why Romney is the better candidate based on his credentials and not the I hate/dislike/can't tolerate Obama logic. This election at the end is going to mirror the 2004 election in which people did not like Bush but John Kerry just doesn't have the credentials.

Actually, that's my take on you as well ... two peas in a pod. LOL

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

^ Wow... well, okay.

1) Romney versus Obama - Romney has actually had a job and made money, and "fixed companies" - Obama - zilch.

2) Romney is not McCain.

3) If Paul isn't on the ticket against Obama, and you vote for Obama, you're assuming that the Senate and the House can stop him. House hasn't been able to stop him yet...questionable the Senate can do it. And you find that after the fact, whether R's took over the Senate? That's assuming an awful lot.

4) How can one be a Paul supporter, but then turn around and vote for Obama...that, in my opinion, is totally bizarre. You would be, by that vote, agreeing to Obamacare and everything else Obama has done.

5) As to Romney versus Obama on budget surplus or not - Obama won't; Romney has a chance.

6) As to Romney in Massachusetts...isn't the libertarian stance of choice and freedom its mantle? You're sounding like a liberal - my way or no way.

Let's face it, no candidate is going to please all the people...but one thing that needs to be done is to stop Obama, period. Even if Romney is a moderate, he'll slow it down somewhat, and then there's another election.

good post

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

good post

But they won't see it that way...it's the "somebody took our candy away from us, so therefore, we're going to punish 'them' and the heck with everybody and everything else."

Not to mention if Paul, himself, is indeed stating to his supporters that one is no different than the other...then he has a very serious flaw, and doesn't care about the U.S. or Americans in general, but only his winning.

#13 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

But they won't see it that way...it's the "somebody took our candy away from us, so therefore, we're going to punish 'them' and the heck with everybody and everything else."

dupe

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

For someone who has been trained in defensive handgun tactics, someone with martial arts training would never get close enough to use their skills. I know, I have extensive training in both from my military days in the 80s.

LOL! Did you mean to put this on this topic? LOL!

#15 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

LOL! Did you mean to put this on this topic? LOL!

I was replying to another post. That's the 2nd time this has happened

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 DLine06

DLine06

• Moderators
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

^ Wow... well, okay.

2) Romney is not McCain.

1. I'll agree with 100%.

2. Romney is not McCain, remember McCain beat Romney heck made Romney succeed the nomination to McCain.

3. Having one part of the congress isn't solid and the House Republicans are weak. I'm willing to bet in 2014 elections, Republicans will sweep through. You don't need to have the majority in the houses rather you just need to have it to where bills don't get the 2/3rds passage.

4. I have very different views on politics. On average, I'm more center-left however with exception to death penalty, guns, monetary issues, abortions not being helped nor funded by tax payer dollars, I am for those things which are largely been viewed Republican.

5. I see Romney having little chance but in terms of significance you are right, he has A chance. I'm going to reserve myself to the Colmes response and in addition, I've seen what happened the last time the Republicans took over which shocked me!

6. There is nothing libertarian or moderate about Romney because he has lacked consistency in much of the major issues in politics. I see him more confused on his political identity than a person questioning his/her sexuality and sexual preferences. When it comes to people that might have the power to be Leader of the Free World, I as an educated voter am going to want to know where do you stand before I cast my vote for you.

I was replying to another post. That's the 2nd time this has happened

I'm going to answer that too BTW LOL.

#17 DLine06

DLine06

• Moderators
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Actually, that's my take on you as well ... two peas in a pod. LOL

I could of told you I'm center-left...in fact we had that conversation before.

#18 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

^ If you're indeed center left, then Obama ought to fit you better than Paul....unless you think Paul's center left...interesting.

As to your comment regarding McCain beating Romney...wasn't it Reagan that ran twice, getting beat once, and then coming back to win against Carter? Which I don't understand why that's important, one way or the other. If that's the case, how many times has Paul ran and lost? He's got beaten by so and so and so and so and so, yet he runs again...??????

As to your statement in number 3...true, but if you've got a president that does what he wants anyway, doesn't make any difference if there's a 2/3 vote or not. He just does what he wants....(see my previous post)

#19 DLine06

DLine06

• Moderators
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:57 AM

^ If you're indeed center left, then Obama ought to fit you better than Paul....unless you think Paul's center left...interesting.

As to your comment regarding McCain beating Romney...wasn't it Reagan that ran twice, getting beat once, and then coming back to win against Carter? Which I don't understand why that's important, one way or the other. If that's the case, how many times has Paul ran and lost? He's got beaten by so and so and so and so and so, yet he runs again...??????

As to your statement in number 3...true, but if you've got a president that does what he wants anyway, doesn't make any difference if there's a 2/3 vote or not. He just does what he wants....(see my previous post)

Honestly, I'd never thought about Paul much in 2008 (I was watching more on the Democratic side of the ballot) However after doing research on the candidates, I come to really admire Paul's stances and his character. Ron Paul and even Obama excite the 18-30 base in part because of they are the two people talking about the war on drugs as well as college but from different perspectives. More also is that Paul has a solid economic policy which is the best out of everyone and, the #1 issue is the economy. I have yet to find so much as ONE very damaging video or article on Paul other than the foreign policy issue which I don't agree with our experts on but that's for another debate. Really the remaining players on field have glaring weaknesses that Paul can exploit but just doesn't get viciousness enough which I feel is his main weakness is he's too Gentleman Johnny and not aggressive.

Last on the Reagan issue, Reagan ran in both 68 and 76 and lost but then won in 1980. Well I was born in 1988 so from my standpoint, I would consider him null and void. However the pool of presidential candidates has gotten worse and worse. Mitt Romney, the guy that many considered the front runner was outshined by some of his competition which I mentioned earlier. I don't gravitate toward that type of candidate. I feel Romney if he won due to a weak talent pool and not agreeing with Paul's ideals which I feel are hit or miss.

#20 JTFAN99

JTFAN99

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

hmm. that's a good point. Sometimes it takes those with the courage to do something bold, for the long term. Those Paul plans in the short term may seem bad, but to save our country from bankruptcy in the future, he had no choice but to make those cuts.
Proverbs Ch.18:2

Proverbs Ch.26:4-5

Proverbs Ch.29:9,11,& 20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users