Photo

Astrodome or Minute Maid

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: AstroDome Or Minute Maid (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Did the Astros lose their idenity by moving, which staduim do you prefer and does it make a difference

1. AstroDome they should have stayed (10 votes [58.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. Minute Maid gave the Astros a fresh start (7 votes [41.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have been to both stadiums but don't think I will get over not going to the dome. Love the Astros but miss the dome.

He once said wisely: "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. Winston Churchill

#2 24sports7

24sports7

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

I loved going to the Dome as well. It was the place in its day.

Minute Maid is pretty cool now. If the Astros would just field a decent team to make it worth going down there.

#3 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

I love the Astrodome because it was taylor maid for the Astros pitching. I even got mad when they brought the fences in. If you remember back in the day you had to put the ball in the stands. You had to be a man to hit the ball out of that park.

He once said wisely: "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains. Winston Churchill

#4 topher805

topher805

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,538 posts
  • Twitter:@cboothe85

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Minute Maid is nice. Went to the Home Run Derby when they hosted the All-Star game abd the atmosphere was amazing.
I think the nostalgic side wins over in this case and i'll go with the Astrodome.

#5 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

I set in the upper decks in the Dome where the toy cannon and rooster was on the seat that Doug Radar and Jim Wynn hit those tape measured shots. It is hard to believe anyone could have hit one that high and deep. It is my understanding at Bernie Carbo hit the longest shot in the dome.

#6 goldandwhite

goldandwhite

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

I saw Cesar Cedeno hit a grand slam "foamer" in the Astrodome back in the early '70's. The bases were loaded, the clock was on an even number, and all the men got a free beer. The stands were almost all women and children for a couple of innings. Add an autographed ball cap by Cedeno before the game for my twin brother and I, and it ranks really high in my baseball memories.

#7 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

I remember those days but I thought it was for everybody. Bob Watson hit a homer with the clock on a even number and it was free beer for the rest of the night or until the 9th inning. I believe all they sold was Lone Star Beer. I was just a kid so I didn't partake. I may have got a soda pop though but had to pay.

#8 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I saw Cesar Cedeno hit a grand slam "foamer" in the Astrodome back in the early '70's. The bases were loaded, the clock was on an even number, and all the men got a free beer. The stands were almost all women and children for a couple of innings. Add an autographed ball cap by Cedeno before the game for my twin brother and I, and it ranks really high in my baseball memories.

Nothing like free beer all night and a good dome dog

#9 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

Sad state of the dome

http://blog.chron.co...nd-now/#4214-18

#10 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

A quote from a county official

County officials expect later this year to receive the results of the latest feasibility study on the Dome’s future. Asked what he thought about its current state, Miller focused instead on memories of better days for the Harris County Domed Stadium.

“This building deserves a lot of respect,” he said. “It served the community well for a lot of years and generated probably 50 times the economic impact that the community spent on construction. It’s been a good building.”

#11 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Love both parks (comes with being life-long Astros fan). I went to College at UH and spent MANY nights at the Dome. I remember the early days of the Dome when the ground crew wore astronaut uniforms (just a little kid then). Way ahead of its time back then
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#12 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

Minute Maid is pretty cool now. If the Astros would just field a decent team to make it worth going down there.

Hasn't been that long ago they were a force. I still get there at least twice a year, regardless of record
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#13 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Love both parks (comes with being life-long Astros fan). I went to College at UH and spent MANY nights at the Dome. I remember the early days of the Dome when the ground crew wore astronaut uniforms (just a little kid then). Way ahead of its time back then

I was stationed in the Air Force at Houston from 76 to 78 and the Air Force had season tickets 4 of them behind third base in the Box Area. They gave the tickets equally to everyone since there wasn't that many of us. Fortunately for me a lot of the guys where from up North and didn't care to go unless their team was in so they gave me their tickets. I had it made for a couple of years.Also came with a parking pass. I remember those astronaut outfits with the helmets

#14 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

I will say this, the highlight of my Astrodome and Astro games was the 1986 season I had ordered tickets for a weekend series with Jim Deshaies, Nolan Ryan and Mike Scott pitching in the series. The Astros clinched the division and Mike Scott threw a no hitter. It was the best weekend I ever had at the dome. My wife didn't care much about baseball but even she had a great time. We stayed at that little Days Inn right next to the Dome and walked over to the game. Also visited Astro World while we where there. Its all gone now, except for the dome

#15 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,684 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I like the Astrodome the best. It's still weird to look across the highway, and not see AstroWorld there. I suppose that they'll tear it down. It seems like the Katrina evacuees helped destroy her : http://houston.cbslo...atness-to-ruin/ .
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#16 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

I like the Astrodome the best. It's still weird to look across the highway, and not see AstroWorld there. I suppose that they'll tear it down. It seems like the Katrina evacuees helped destroy her : http://houston.cbslo...atness-to-ruin/ .

Thanks for the link, pathetic how the Astrodome was allowed to run down. If anything put a new Astroworld inside the dome with rooms to stay. May cost a few dollars...lol

#17 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,684 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the link, pathetic how the Astrodome was allowed to run down. If anything put a new Astroworld inside the dome with rooms to stay. May cost a few dollars...lol

I wish they would have taken more pictures of what the inside looks like. I know the outside looks okay, but needs some touch up. I know they're planning sort of a Santa Monica Pier type amusement park where the Flagship Hotel once was.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#18 THSfanatic

THSfanatic

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Its kind of surreal to see how Reliant Stadium dwarfs the Astrodome. Of course the Dome itself is bigger than it looks. A lot of it is below ground level
"Onward Thru the Fog"
Oat Willie

#19 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

Liberalism is a disease ... and I'm the cure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,600 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

I made quite a few games in the dome over the years and have a lot of good memories. I still have my minature Astros bat collection ... somewhere ... along with my bobble heads. My best memory was taking my dad and my oldest son to my dad's first, and only, major league game in the dome a few years before he passed away. I think it was a couple of years before they took the scoreboard down. He was amazed at the giant scoreboard and all the lights. We had a great time. I also have been to Minuite Maid several times and I think it's one of the nicest major league parks I have ever been in, and I've been in several.

GARRISON BULLDOGS - 2003 Class AA Div II State Champs

"It still amazes me that letting hard working Americans keep more of their hard earned wages is considered government spending by liberals." - KF

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/square-med-atf.gif

#20 Colmesneilfan1

Colmesneilfan1

Smoakhouse Libertarian

• Administrators
  • 31,257 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

I miss being able to show up and pay $4 to sit in the black seats in the outfield......used to do that all the time.....

Mark 16: 16..."16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Acts 2: 38...."38And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Acts 22: 16...."16And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name."

I Peter 3: 21...."21Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

The above Scripture is from the English Standard Version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users