101 replies to this topic

#1 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Merging money strapped schools in close proximity to each other or with more financially stable schools seems to make sense. What are the reasons why not? School pride or just because it's been this way forever? Not very good reasons to me. Spring hill and pine tree should think of merger or one day I believe pine tree will merge with Longview. Financially it's not going to get better! Both spring hill and pine tree are land locked districts with almost no more growth. Also business wise the west side of town is awfull,just drive thru and look around. So,I believe it will happen its just a matter of who goes with whom.the strong will survive. I believe spring hill would never merge with anyone even if meant the demise of the district. Pine tree and Longview I see down the road merging. Think about it....one coach for each sport,one administration,consolidating everything! Would save money!no doubt! Only reason not done is politics and stubborn people! Meanwhile we all pay more taxes!

#2 hitandrun

hitandrun

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

I like the way you're thinking!!!

#3 Paradox

Paradox

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Great idea & a great entry.

Today, there are too many school districts. Each district has several layers of assistant superintendents, directors, coordinators, & the like - who are some of the highest-paid employees of the district. And this is often for only a single high school. Combine school districts where there's only one set of expensive administrators for several schools & the savings will be substantial.

Of course, many superintendents will fight this idea. They all like having their own little individual kingdoms where they rule, and enjoy the perks of being the superintendent.

But it's our tax money that's paying for it.

#4 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yes, seems to me to be totally rediculous in Longview to have 4 high schools! Insane ! And you know what, black,white and Latinos can go to school together! Sick and tired of white flight! But those same white fighters complain of lack money for schools and high taxes! Example....spring hill! Let's consolidate schools build town pride and save dang money!!!!!!!!! Makes sense!

#5 FONZ

FONZ

WP4L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
  • Interests:Houston Texans season ticket holder
    Longview Lobos season ticket holder
    UT Longhorns
    Bass & Crappie Fishing

Controlling aircraft, via Houston Center

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Merging money strapped schools in close proximity to each other or with more financially stable schools seems to make sense. What are the reasons why not? School pride or just because it's been this way forever? Not very good reasons to me. Spring hill and pine tree should think of merger or one day I believe pine tree will merge with Longview. Financially it's not going to get better! Both spring hill and pine tree are land locked districts with almost no more growth. Also business wise the west side of town is awfull,just drive thru and look around. So,I believe it will happen its just a matter of who goes with whom.the strong will survive. I believe spring hill would never merge with anyone even if meant the demise of the district. Pine tree and Longview I see down the road merging. Think about it....one coach for each sport,one administration,consolidating everything! Would save money!no doubt! Only reason not done is politics and stubborn people! Meanwhile we all pay more taxes!

Let Spring Hill and PT merge. The only thing Longview need is to gain back East Longview from crappy Hallsville.
WP4L

#6 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Soo stupid to spend all this tax money on new football stadiums, I'm sure spring hill next , when it's over lapping waste! If schools consolidated you only need oneeeeeeeeeeeeee stadium and you save millions! Rediculous!

#7 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

1335026318[/url]' post='1709014']
Let Spring Hill and PT merge. The only thing Longview need is to gain back East Longview from crappy Hallsville.

I agree on that! Hallsville kids have nothing to do with Hallsville at all! Most are one mile from Longview high! Rediculous also

#8 Matthias

Matthias

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Twitter:MatthewProsser

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Rusk County has about two or three school districts too many...

#9 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

1335027441[/url]' post='1709020']

In Longview I mean not like Tyler, I mean too many schools period!it has ruined Longview. One side dislikes the other. If had one larger school it would help Longview financially and socially! Ask Allen how it's working for them? Pretty good huh!

#10 Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • Interests:Anything Longhorns, College Sports or World War II

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

I agree on that! Hallsville kids have nothing to do with Hallsville at all! Most are one mile from Longview high! Rediculous also

You are kidding, right? You need a geography lesson.

#11 Paradox

Paradox

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Rusk County has an interesting history with school district consolidations.

Back in the early 1950s, there was talk about merging several school districts. Mt. Enterprise, Laneville, Minden, and several other small school districts were going to merge into a single school district. For some reason, that didn't work out. Minden went to Henderson and some others went to either Henderson or Mt. Enterprise, or stayed independent.

In the middle 1960s, New London ISD and Gaston ISD merged both their administrative functions and actual schools to form the West Rusk School District. At the time, both of these districts were still segregated and each had separate white and black schools. So this consolidation actually involved four schools and effectively achieved desegregation at the same time.

I'm told that what keeps further consolidation from happening in Rusk County and other areas in East Texas is that some of these very small districts have considerable tax revenue generated by oil, gas, or coal. So some small school districts can continue to operate independently even though these districts may not be practical otherwise.

#12 Eagleflight

Eagleflight

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

In Longview I mean not like Tyler, I mean too many schools period!it has ruined Longview. One side dislikes the other. If had one larger school it would help Longview financially and socially! Ask Allen how it's working for them? Pretty good huh!

I disagree with all of this nonsense. Take a look at the tax rates and you cannot convince me your are saving money. Based on what has been said in this forum the Longview ISD tax should be about 50 cents on the dollar aUse some common sense>>>>>>>>gee. smaller schools are better and no money in hell will convince me otherwise.

#13 FONZ

FONZ

WP4L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
    UT Longhorns
    Bass & Crappie Fishing

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Nope. Majority of Hallsville's kids come from East Longview.

No way does a town with three street lights deserve to be a 4A school.

WP4L

#14 Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

Nope. Majority of Hallsville's kids come from East Longview.

No way does a town with three street lights deserve to be a 4A school.

Hallsville's school district is 188 square miles. How far east do you think Longview goes? Exactly what area are you wanting to claim? Please.

#15 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

1335029405[/url]' post='1709022']

Sorry pal! Most new developments are rightin Longview! Hallsville 10 miles away! I know! I live in a neighborhood that's is split Longview and Hallsville! Longview sooo close. Hallsville 20 min drive to school.

#16 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

1335030928[/url]' post='1709030']
Hallsville's school district is 188 square miles. How far east do you think Longview goes? Exactly what area are you wanting to claim? Please.

Hallsville district was made hundred years ago.... It's size make no sense now! It's rediculous and costs sooooo much as far as transportation costs! Also, district is broke already! Taxes rising super fast!just insane really! Goes from Marshall to Longview! Haaaaa!

1335029650[/url]' post='1709024']
I disagree with all of this nonsense. Take a look at the tax rates and you cannot convince me your are saving money. Based on what has been said in this forum the Longview ISD tax should be about 50 cents on the dollar aUse some common sense>>>>>>>>gee. smaller schools are better and no money in hell will convince me otherwise.

Oh really, how is spring hill doing huh? Brokeeeeeeeeee and that's a fact!

#17 Hookemhorns88

Hookemhorns88

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

Sorry pal! Most new developments are rightin Longview! Hallsville 10 miles away! I know! I live in a neighborhood that's is split Longview and Hallsville! Longview sooo close. Hallsville 20 min drive to school.

I expect to hear Marshall, Harleton, and Tatum complaining next since Hallsville borders their territory too.

#18 FONZ

FONZ

WP4L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
    UT Longhorns
    Bass & Crappie Fishing

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Everything that Hallsville claims INSIDE or near Loop 281.
WP4L

#19 LoboNation

LoboNation

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

1335032821[/url]' post='1709035']
I expect to hear Marshall, Harleton, and Tatum complaining next since Hallsville borders their territory too.

Well it's coming! Hallsville going broke due it's spread out area

#20 FONZ

FONZ

WP4L

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,499 posts
    UT Longhorns
    Bass & Crappie Fishing

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

That's just crazy and unnecessary.

I'm actually not complaining. Longview isn't losing kids to Hallsville anymore. In fact, it's vice versa. Marshall on the other hand is struggling big time.

WP4L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users