#101 Wild74

Wild74

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

It certainly used to be that way.

However, the various districts are established based on population - and there's a lot of geography with very few people in rural areas - as compared to metropolitan areas.

And after good ole boy Tom DeLay gerrymandered former U.S. Congressional District #1 in 2003 where it stretches from Garland to Texarkana -

This effectively ended any meaningful representation in the U.S. House of Representatives for Northeast Texas -

And if they can do it at the national level - you can count on it at the state level.

That's good I never cared for the other good old boy network that was in place....
The very wise Yuval Levin, editor of National Affairs, describes the differing dispositions of liberals and conservatives this way: Liberals are moved by outrage at what is wrong with their society; conservatives feel gratitude for what is right.

#102 Leopard4Life

Leopard4Life

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

Never happen. YOu are forgetting about the areas of the state that have no option than to be independent. the whole concept of ISD's is to let then community where a school is located to decide what happens to them...If anything, the trend is the opposite, like Sunnyvale splitting from Mesquite and Lovejoy splitting from Allen.

I've seen similar statements before. Lovejoy and Allen were always independent from each other. Both have always had defined boundaries, their own school board and superindendents. Lovejoy did not have the population to support a secondary program so they paid Allen to attend Allen secondary (middle/high). As an ISD Lovejoy dates back to 1919. It is our secondary programs that are new, not the district. I don't know Sunnyvales history. But I did read somewhere that Lake Travis split away from their district and split up the school board.

Both Lovejoy and Allen residents both voted. Lovejoy voted to start a secondary program and Allen voted to no longer let Lovejoy kids attend Allen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users