73 replies to this topic

#61 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Fair question. Keep in mind my answer is just my opinion.

I'll start by making a comparison. Adrian Peterson is one of the top 2 RB's in the NFL. Could very well be #1. However, has he been even close to as good the past two years as the previous two? No. Why? Because the Vikings have not had a passing game the last two years. Any defense that goes up against them knows Peterson is all the Vikes have, so they zero in on him. When Favre was there his first two season's the defenses had to concentrate on the passing game as well as running which opened up more lanes for Peterson.

Exact same situation here with A&M. Okay, Michael had 230 yards rushing against Arkansas last year. Arkansas's defense also had to watch out for the pass that netted another 247. That is the difference. A&M could prove me wrong on this, but I do not believe they will have the passing game this year they had last year. That will allow defenses to zero in more on the running game.

I agree with you. I just think that having your entire offensive line plus good RBs and 4 of 5 receivers returning makes the transition a little easier. I'm not expecting top 10 qb play. I just think that when you have a very good offensive line returning, only gave up 9 sacks in the last 19 games with the same 5 starting, and a running game that is proven and talented, you don't need great qb play. Limit the turnovers and complete the third down pass and the ags should be ok. I think that Sumin knows this and will keep his first year qb protected until he is ready. The one killer that hurts most young qbs is the pass rush, but when you have an offensive line that gave up the fewest sacks in the country last year all returning, it allows the qb to focus more on the making the correct read than running for his life.
Hate to lose more than you love to win, and winning will be your only option!

#62 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

The difference between us and Arkansas is that we've had our new coach an entire off season, while they will only have theirs for the summer.

Only difference is, he's been in the Ark system before and was Petrinto's mentor...

#63 h-town12

h-town12

Ol' Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Only difference is, he's been in the Ark system before and was Petrinto's mentor...

Yes, but look at how well he did at Michigan State. I'm hoping he can keep that up haha

#64 Lobo97

Lobo97

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,243 posts
  • Interests:Any and all sports from any level. Specifically the Lobos, Longhorns, Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers!

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

So does that mean he knows how to hook up with girls half his age too, lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

#65 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

So does that mean he knows how to hook up with girls half his age too, lol

Sorry, couldn't resist.

That was a good one...
Hate to lose more than you love to win, and winning will be your only option!

#66 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Yes, but look at how well he did at Michigan State. I'm hoping he can keep that up haha

Big 10 >>>>>>>>>>>> CUSA

#67 85lobo

85lobo

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image
In all seriousness, there were sips who said a few months ago that no D1 Texas team would play A&M because the Texas Big 12 teams would blackball anyone that did. They thought that even schools like Rice and SMU would bow down to them and agree not to play ags as long as they were "allowed" to keep playing texas once every five years.

Yeah, its a little over the top for Aggies to call this a victory, but don't deny that some overzealous sips honestly thought that non-Big 12 Texas teams teams would join the "boycott".

A&M now plays both Rice and SMU at Kyle in 2013. Is that really different than playing say Baylor and TT at home? I don't think so. Baylor has beaten us twice in my lifetime.. We've beaten TT's a** the last 3 times we played them. Why are Rice and SMU different? Former mediocre conferencemates are former mediocre conferencemates.

Rice to Play Aggies in Football in 2013 in College Station

Updated: Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012, 2:54 PM CDT
Published : Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012, 2:00 PM CDT

MARK BERMAN
Sports Director

HOUSTON - Rice will open its 2013 season in football against Texas A&M in College Station.

"We're going to play a football game with A&M," said Rick Greenspan, Rice's athletics director, in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "We're going to open the 2013 season up in College Station.

'It will be the first time Rice has played A&M in a number of years. Obviously, while we're both in different conferences, it is a bit of a renewal of a Southwest Conference rivalry. For us it makes a lot of since geographically. Our fans are able to travel to College Station. For Texas A&M fans who live in Houston to head up there. So we're enthusiastic about it. We're appreciative of having this opportunity."

Greenspan said the two schools will explore future games against each other.

"Right now it's just one game up there, but we'll certainly have discussions with them about future games," Greenspan said.

The last time the Owls played the Aggies was in 1995 when Texas A&M won 17-10 at Rice Stadium.

The year before the two schools played in College Station, with the Aggies winning 7-0.

Greenspan was not ready to disclose which game he is moving off of the 2013 schedule to make room for the Aggies.

Take notes with the last sentence Texas

Let me get this straight. You're boasting about playing Rice and SMU? Really. LOL, good luck with that.

#68 h-town12

h-town12

Ol' Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Big 10 >>>>>>>>>>>> CUSA

You miss Houston destroying Penn state lol? Seriously though, success in any conference is something positive to build off.

#69 HendersonLionfan2003

HendersonLionfan2003

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts
  • Interests:My beautiful daughter Jayda Lynn and my lovely wife Meghan
    Highschool football
    Henderson Lions 3A Division1 State Champions 2010
    Texas Aggies, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers,Dallas Mavs

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Let me get this straight. You're boasting about playing Rice and SMU? Really. LOL, good luck with that.

Nope not at all just that Texas schools will still play A&M. I figured all the posters well except for our resident tcu troll would figure that one out.

#70 HendersonLionfan2003

HendersonLionfan2003

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,047 posts
  • Interests:My beautiful daughter Jayda Lynn and my lovely wife Meghan
    Highschool football
    Henderson Lions 3A Division1 State Champions 2010
    Texas Aggies, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers,Dallas Mavs

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I agree and believe they still are home of the 12th man. Have you ever attended a game in College Station?

As for the Wrecking Crew, well they haven't had that in years.

I can agree to that. It wouldn't do the 80s and 90s Aggies justice by calling them that. I wasn't in favor of calling them in 2010 the Wrecking Crew.

#71 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

You miss Houston destroying Penn state lol? Seriously though, success in any conference is something positive to build off.

30-14 is destroying? That's two scores. PSU didn't beat a ranked team all season and we know all that they went through.

#72 h-town12

h-town12

Ol' Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,251 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

30-14 is destroying? That's two scores. PSU didn't beat a ranked team all season and we know all that they went through.

Houston also played the game without their head coach. Although houston didn't go through a pedo scandal, they went through their own struggles. Point I was making, a CUSA team beat a big10 team.

#73 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,441 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

I don't see this as anything to brag about. So A&M plays Rice and SMU, what's the big whoop, except they're old SWC Rivalries. Being an SMU fan I'm glad we play A&M, and before 1990 the rivalry was a decent one. A&M only was up on us by 6 games. I wouldn't call that domination at all. I don't like that we have a Texas ex at the helm of my team, but I think the Mustangs are going to be better all the way around this year. We'll see what happens.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#74 TyperWoods

TyperWoods

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • Interests:THE University of Texas

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Have you guys seen our home schedule in 2013? YES!!!!!
THE University of Texas - Our kind makes an imprint on our country, and a mark on our culture. The salute of a citizenry, and the sign of a nation. One flag, one star, one state, one school. Texas builds names. More than legends, they are standards.

HOOK'EM

I am TyperWoods. Often imitiated, never duplicated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users