• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

To me they are a fresh water drum. Some others that is what they call a grinnell or bowfin. I've found articles on Google for each.

Who is right?
Five0pd310@suddenlink.net

#2 c-train

c-train

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

drum
"It is better to have people THINK you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!"

#3 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Okay, thanks. I just wanted some reinforcement on that.

#4 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

Same thing as a drum.

A bowfin/grinnel is a totally different fish.

#5 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

Same thing as a drum.

That's what I had always said, then got questioned on it....I even found articles and stuff on the web that contradicted that. I was worried that I had been making a fool of my self this whole time. Thanks for the verification.

#6 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

Liberalism is a disease ... and I'm the cure

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,158 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:47 AM

Same thing as a drum.

Exactly.

Posted Image

A grinnel has a nasty mouth full of sharp teeth and is longer and skinnier than a drum.

Posted Image

A drum is a thicker, typicly larger fish without the teeth with a mouth more like a carp

GARRISON BULLDOGS - 2003 Class AA Div II State Champs

"It still amazes me that letting hard working Americans keep more of their hard earned wages is considered government spending by liberals." - KF

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.thoseshirts.com/images/square-med-atf.gif

#7 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

I remember catching my first grinnell when I was a kid. I thought I had caught a monster. I remember thinking I was going to lose my rod and reel. They're fun to catch. Never ate one though. I've heard that they're okay if they're eaten hot out of the grease, but otherwise they're nasty.

#8 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,158 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

I have never tried to eat a grinnel either. Most consider them a trash fish. They are very boney and slimy. Whe used to catch them and throw them on the bank to keep them from feeding on other fish.

"It still amazes me that letting hard working Americans keep more of their hard earned wages is considered government spending by liberals." - KF

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Interests:coon hound genetics
    automatic weapons,
    GOP convention
    C-4, customs protocal

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Ghouls iz :Itz the fresh water drum with the purpleish tint. If ya cut em and put em own yure trot line the catfishiz will passup a liv perch to eat the cut up ghoul,Tru storie.

#10 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

Ghouls iz :Itz the fresh water drum with the purpleish tint. If ya cut em and put em own yure trot line the catfishiz will passup a liv perch to eat the cut up ghoul,Tru storie.

I'll pass up a catfish to eat a drum. I love the texture. Nothing beats it grilled.

#11 KirtFalcon

KirtFalcon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,158 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

I'll take red perch, goggle eye, blue gill, bass or crappie fried crisp in corn meal salt and pepper over any catfish or drum!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'll take red perch, goggle eye, blue gill, bass or crappie fried crisp in corn meal salt and pepper over any catfish or drum!

Crappie and blue gill for sure, but I'll have to disagree with you on the bass. It has it's place in my diet but no where near the same ballpark as crappie or bream, IMO.

#13 Doomer

Doomer

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Interests:coon hound genetics
    automatic weapons,
    GOP convention
    C-4, customs protocal

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Crappie and blue gill for sure, but I'll have to disagree with you on the bass. It has it's place in my diet but no where near the same ballpark as crappie or bream, IMO.

Me tu i lyke Crappies #1 then Bream= Red ears an Bluegillz

#14 Colmesneilfan1

Colmesneilfan1

Smoakhouse Libertarian

• Administrators
  • 30,221 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

To me they are a fresh water drum. Some others that is what they call a grinnell or bowfin. I've found articles on Google for each.

Who is right?

I call it a gou....some people call it supper....

Mark 16: 16..."16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Acts 2: 38...."38And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Acts 22: 16...."16And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name."

I Peter 3: 21...."21Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"

The above Scripture is from the English Standard Version

#15 STYMIE

STYMIE

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

I remember catching my first grinnell when I was a kid. I thought I had caught a monster. I remember thinking I was going to lose my rod and reel. They're fun to catch. Never ate one though. I've heard that they're okay if they're eaten hot out of the grease, but otherwise they're nasty.

Caught one at Fork the other day. Pretty cool

#16 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:02 AM

Never caught one on a line, but stuck many a grinnel with an arrow. A few pushing 10 lbs. Strong, tough fish....or whatever the hell they are. I know you don't put your fingers anywhere near their mouth.

#17 Locutus

Locutus

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'll pass up a catfish to eat a drum. I love the texture. Nothing beats it grilled.

OMG!!! Say it ain't so. I have eaten most fish, most ways, and I do believe I would starve before I ever ate another drum. I knew it, I knew it, somethings gotta be wrong with you!!

Back in the day when Fork first opened. We used to catch grinnel by the basket full. We used to call them Texas Brown Trout. When I was guiding in college I convinced many a client that they were a whole separate species of fish. One that very few people got to see, much less catch. Always good for a laugh way back when.
"When SECONDS count, the POLICE will only be MOMENTS away!

#18 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

OMG!!! Say it ain't so. I have eaten most fish, most ways, and I do believe I would starve before I ever ate another drum. I knew it, I knew it, somethings gotta be wrong with you!!

Back in the day when Fork first opened. We used to catch grinnel by the basket full. We used to call them Texas Brown Trout. When I was guiding in college I convinced many a client that they were a whole separate species of fish. One that very few people got to see, much less catch. Always good for a laugh way back when.

lol...that's mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users