• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Im on my phone, but ESPN reports he was offered and sources say it was an amount he couldn't turn down and will take the position.

My link

#2 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

This is a good move for the big 12. It Also tells me they must be looking like they are stable for the long haul. That guy from Stanford wouldn't have left arguably the best AD job in the country if he had doubts about the stability of the conference. Good news for him and the big 12.
Hate to lose more than you love to win, and winning will be your only option!

#3 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

This is a good move for the big 12. It Also tells me they must be looking like they are stable for the long haul. That guy from Stanford wouldn't have left arguably the best AD job in the country if he had doubts about the stability of the conference. Good news for him and the big 12.

He is the one that got Scott hired at the PAC 12

#4 BlackwellSooner

BlackwellSooner

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

He is the one that got Scott hired at the PAC 12

He is also the guy who let the opportunity to hire Bob Stoops slip through his fingers. The Iowa fans were up in arms over Bowlsby's failure to act decisively back in 1999.

Per the story that I read, Stoops was favorably disposed to hiring on with OU, but felt obligated to interview with Bowlsby, since he had promised that he would. When Stoops discovered during the interview that he was only "under consideration" (along with several other candidates) for the Iowa job, he said, "Sayonara" and signed with OU.

Who knows what would have happened had Bowlsby put on the full court press to woo Stoops?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those that don't.

#5 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

He is also the guy who let the opportunity to hire Bob Stoops slip through his fingers. The Iowa fans were up in arms over Bowlsby's failure to act decisively back in 1999.

Per the story that I read, Stoops was favorably disposed to hiring on with OU, but felt obligated to interview with Bowlsby, since he had promised that he would. When Stoops discovered during the interview that he was only "under consideration" along with several other candidates, he said, "Sayonara" and signed with OU.

Who knows what would have happened had Bowlsby put on the full court press to woo Stoops?

A&M would have had a decent decade lol.

I've said it before and I'll always say it, the resurgence of OU under Stoops began the downfall of Slocum and the Aggies in the 2000s. He practically kicked the Aggies out of DFW and has owned them in recruiting that area every since. Sumlin is finally making progress, but the Aggies will never get to where they want to be while Stoops out recruits them in their own state.

As for the new commissioner, I like the guy. I think he understands the importance of a well rounded conference in every sport and I believe he will be better financially than Beebe.

#6 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

He said in his presser this morning, he said expansion will be a point of conversation.

Also, that he would not be a puppet for Texas and Oklahoma.

#7 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm expecting the conference to get back to 12-14 teams with two divisions. Most likely an East and West this time.

#8 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm expecting the conference to get back to 12-14 teams with two divisions. Most likely an East and West this time.

Without splitting OU and Texas?

#9 HendersonLionfan2003

HendersonLionfan2003

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
  • Interests:My beautiful daughter Jayda Lynn and my lovely wife Meghan
    Highschool football
    Henderson Lions 3A Division1 State Champions 2010
    Texas Aggies, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers,Dallas Mavs

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Without splitting OU and Texas?

ohio state and michigan are split as well just saying lol. I actually like what the Big 12 is doing. I think they should add a couple east teams to help with West Virgina.

#10 85lobo

85lobo

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

ohio state and michigan are split as well just saying lol. I actually like what the Big 12 is doing. I think they should add a couple east teams to help with West Virgina.

FSU and Clemson are being talked about a lot right now.

#11 HendersonLionfan2003

HendersonLionfan2003

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
    Highschool football

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

FSU and Clemson are being talked about a lot right now.

Those would be some great add ons. Do they not like the SEC or is the Big 12 just a better offer?

#12 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Those would be some great add ons. Do they not like the SEC or is the Big 12 just a better offer?

I think the SEC gave both of them the cold shoulder

#13 HendersonLionfan2003

HendersonLionfan2003

Gig em Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,806 posts
    Highschool football

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I think they go this way

Big 12 West

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
OU
OSU
TCU

Big 12 East

WVA
FSU
Clemson
KU
KSU
ISU

with at least 3 cross division games a year..that way no one goes for more than a year without playing a conf opponent in football. In all other sports it's a round robin.

#14 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I don't see FSU and Clemson leaving unless the LHN is turned into a conference network. The acc just put a near impossible figure on teams buyouts and it just isn't logical that they would go to the big 12. The acc teams currently have a larger population footprint and it seems like they are set to make decent amounts of cash over the next few years. In other words, I think a conference network is the only thing that draws them in because they will need a big chunk of money to pay for the buyout.

I think this is just wishful thinking at this time, but I think time will tell where this is really leading.

#15 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

I don't see FSU and Clemson leaving unless the LHN is turned into a conference network. The acc just put a near impossible figure on teams buyouts and it just isn't logical that they would go to the big 12. The acc teams currently have a larger population footprint and it seems like they are set to make decent amounts of cash over the next few years. In other words, I think a conference network is the only thing that draws them in because they will need a big chunk of money to pay for the buyout.

I think this is just wishful thinking at this time, but I think time will tell where this is really leading.

Remember when A&M to the SEC was wishful thinking? Anything is possible with the almighty dollar!

#16 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Remember when A&M to the SEC was wishful thinking? Anything is possible with the almighty dollar!

That's my point? Where is the dollar coming from?

#17 Baron

Baron

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Interests:Hook'em
    A tired Cowboy fan
    NSHS Trojans
    FHS Battlin Billies
    Rangers
    Mavs
    Stars

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

And a lot of fans and pundits have said how stupid that decision was. Leaders and Legends was another "rocket science" example by the Big 10.
IMO the Big 12 had the best example of a 12 team 2 division format.
Who is John Galt?

#18 sawemoff

sawemoff

Switzer's Sidekick

• Moderators
  • 6,475 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

That's my point? Where is the dollar coming from?

A new contract with ESPN is in the works. Plus who knows what will become of the LHN and if we will see a conference network like you said.

#19 Immortal13

Immortal13

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

I vaguely recall there was some kind of issue Clemson had with joining the SEC in the past. Can't remember exactly what it was about. I'll see if I can find it

#20 WETSU

WETSU

Aggies

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

I vaguely recall there was some kind of issue Clemson had with joining the SEC in the past. Can't remember exactly what it was about. I'll see if I can find it

It's because south Carolina, Florida, and Georgia all have a gentlemens agreement that they will not add another school from in state to the sec. So georgia tech, Clemson, FSU, or Miami will never get in unless the others agree to make it happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users