White Oak Roughneck Basketball 2013-2014

whiteoakfan111

Any thoughts on this new look roughneck team? How will they fair this season in 2a? They have done nothing but dominate since dropping from 3a... Their two big stars are gone in Anderson & Yancy, but they still have that tough in your face defense along with some returning players from that state team.

Returning players from varsity are:

#10 Slade Sutton, SR

#12 Dylan Gale, SR

#15 Josh Benson, SR

#21 Cass Carr, SR

#23 Tanner Sharp, JR

#25 Hayden Nichols, SR

#32 Gabe Michaels, SR

Tournament stand out Hayden Nichols was all-tournament team and will be vital along with Cass Carr & Slade Sutton hanging around the perimeter. One thing about Coach Boyett is his team is always defensive minded. Losing the senior group will hurt but if any coach in the state can recover it's Ron Boyett. Look for them to be firing on all cylinders come mid-season and to be once again another threat in 2a.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WO will be a contender for sure. The #18 ranking is a bit disrespectful IMO, sure WO lost 3 outstanding players, but they return some very quality players with great experience. Hayden Nichols made the "All-Tournament" team at the state tournament last year as a Junior. Slade Sutton played like a MVP in the state championship as well hitting some BIG threes at clutch moments. Benson, Carr, Michael, and Gale all bring great experience and tenacity to the team as well. WO is still the 2A reigning champion until proven otherwise. Those Tatum games this year are going to be insane...

WO will be a contender for sure. The #18 ranking is a bit disrespectful IMO, sure WO lost 3 outstanding players, but they return some very quality players with great experience. Hayden Nichols made the "All-Tournament" team at the state tournament last year as a Junior. Slade Sutton played like a MVP in the state championship as well hitting some BIG threes at clutch moments. Benson, Carr, Michael, and Gale all bring great experience and tenacity to the team as well. WO is still the 2A reigning champion until proven otherwise. Those Tatum games this year are going to be insane...

I agree that the Tatum/WO games will be insane. All three of them....district and the playoff game at SFA....

I agree he was a great guy to have on the court, but I wouldn't consider him a "star" when referring to Yancy and Anderson.

He might not have been a "star" but he was vital to White Oaks success. Last year he was the best pure shooter on the team and was the lockdown defender who guarded the other teams best scorer such as Rockwell from Tatum.

He might not have been a "star" but he was vital to White Oaks success. Last year he was the best pure shooter on the team and was the lockdown defender who guarded the other teams best scorer such as Rockwell from Tatum.

Hey no disrepect at all to him. Just making myself clear I was referencing "stars". Sort of like David Mitchell on White Oaks 2000 team I think it was. Conner Wilson was the "star" and David Mitchell was absolutely a key player, but not the "star".

Hey no disrepect at all to him. Just making myself clear I was referencing "stars". Sort of like David Mitchell on White Oaks 2000 team I think it was. Conner Wilson was the "star" and David Mitchell was absolutely a key player, but not the "star".

So.. Who was the star last year? The lil pg or the big guy?

If I had to pick only one as a star, I would choose the PG..........the PG made those 3 point shooters game much easier as other teams were often having to send more than one guy to stop the PG.........that could be a key this year for White Oak against the better teams, can they get the dribble penetration for those wide open kickout 3's...............but as far as last year, I say they had 2 stars, and a really good 3rd sr.

So.. Who was the star last year? The lil pg or the big guy?

If I had to pick only one as a star, I would choose the PG..........the PG made those 3 point shooters game much easier as other teams were often having to send more than one guy to stop the PG.........that could be a key this year for White Oak against the better teams, can they get the dribble penetration for those wide open kickout 3's...............but as far as last year, I say they had 2 stars, and a really good 3rd sr.

This is what I was going to say also. Sutton was a real solid player last season, but I wouldn't put him in star category. I.E. You have the current caliber player of D-Wade, and then you have LeBron. White Oak repeated because they were lucky enough to have TWO stars, if you take either one of those players off the team and replace them with an average White Oak player, going back 2 back becomes a lot more tough.

Eagle born I assume he is. I didn't see the JV play last year. He was added to the playoff roster but I don't think he got any minutes

I remember y'alls JV having a good size kid...

To be honest, he wasn't much of a factor in the game I saw him play.

Somebody asked who the star of the team was last year, easily Anderson. Against tatum I don't think Yancy scored 10 In all 3 games combined. Tatums goal was to make Anderson beat them and he did at sfa... Take him away and that's like taking away a qb in a spread offense..he was the star..

Somebody asked who the star of the team was last year, easily Anderson. Against tatum I don't think Yancy scored 10 In all 3 games combined. Tatums goal was to make Anderson beat them and he did at sfa... Take him away and that's like taking away a qb in a spread offense..he was the star..

Who's taking his place?