US alcohol industry ponders effect of cannabis legalisation

Wild74

US drinks industry ponders effect of cannabis legalisation
The Financial Times ^ | November 27th, 2016 | by: Scheherazade Daneshkhu in London and Lindsay Whipp in Chicago

Posted on 11/27/2016, 2:51:41 PM by Mariner

This Thanksgiving, Californians may have been tempted to include an additional ingredient in their pumpkin pies. Marijuana was legalised in the US’s most populous state this month, reflecting a mellowing of social attitudes towards the drug.

Alongside the presidential election, five states voted on whether to legalise the recreational use of cannabis, with Maine, Massachusetts and Nevada, voting in favor, along with California.

But one sector is watching the spread of legislation with a degree of trepidation: the $200bn US alcohol industry. Though alcohol and weed might seem eminently compatible to some, a number of brewers fear cannabis as a competitive threat, with some industry groups going as far as contributing funds to anti-legalisation campaigns.

Boston Beer Company, the largest craft brewer in the US with brands that include Samuel Adams and Angry Orchard cider, said the widening legalisation of marijuana posed a risk to its sales.

“It is possible that legal marijuana usage could adversely impact the demand for the company’s products,” argued its regulatory filing in February. The Massachusetts-based brewer added: “We also believe that impacts the craft beer industry.”

I don't see it affecting alcohol sales much. I don't know how many tokes it takes to get high, but you can drink a couple of beers or glasses of wine before even getting a buzz, and it takes a few more to become drunk. People will still have an adult beverage when they are having a meal.

The only people who will smoke are the ones who already smoke......it will have ZERO affect on the alcohol industry........

I think there will be a few more that try it, because it's legal. How many keep smoking it is a different question that I don't have an answer for. Maybe this answers that question. According to it alcohol sales increase, and I wonder what the link is between marijuana and alcohol. I do know that most people that do smoke weed also drink. The same with tobacco. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/31/alcohol-industry-sales-marijuana-colorado

I think there will be a few more that try it, because it's legal. How many keep smoking it is a different question that I don't have an answer for. Maybe this answers that question. According to it alcohol sales increase, and I wonder what the link is between marijuana and alcohol. I do know that most people that do smoke weed also drink. The same with tobacco. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/31/alcohol-industry-sales-marijuana-colorado

Well Dave, " Some Experts" claim that smoking weed gives one "cotton mouth" , which a nice cold beer relieves, so if anything, brewski sales should rise with weed use...😏

The article does reinforce the old saying, "Politics makes strange bedfellows". If our Federal Govt had any sense, they'd decriminalize it, and put a Fed Tax on it. That'll cut the deficit down some.

Actually, in the States that have approved it for recreational use, I'll be curious to see what effect, if any, it has. Will there be less/more folks incarcerated? Will crime go down/up? Will fewer/more move to harder drugs? When I went into the Army in 65, when drugs were just becoming popular, I had a younger neighbor. Kid was a great athlete (still holds the LL Home Run record in Vidor). When I got out, he was hooked. I ask him, why were you so stupid as to get on these pills. He told me he started on Mj. After a while, the supplier said, I don't have any Mj, but I got these pills. Have no idea if they operate the same now, but I bet they do. The point is, its possible the legalization of Mj, may have some positive effects that outweigh the negative effects that legalization will surely produce. The fact is, we aren't going to win the war on drugs. Been fighting and losing over 50 years. So perhaps we can find a line and essentially hold it, or slow it down some.