Photo

Is Tyler a great SPORTS town?

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Tyler a great SPORTS town? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,805 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 10 April 2003 - 06:22 AM

'only if you are really in to high school football (I am not).

#2 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 08:47 AM

I don't know how you could really consider Tyler a great sports town when they basically only have high school sports and TJC. I know UT-Tyler is adding baseball, but Tyler is more like a shopping town. They had the Wildcatters and couldn't support them. There is the amateur football team, but last year they played their home games in Brownsboro. I'd have to say no right now.

#3 cockyathensfan

cockyathensfan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:24 AM

tyler is not a great sports town... aside from JT winning football, and TJC winning championships in JUCO.. no one really knows Tyler for having good sports teams.. plus Tyler cant even keep a minor league baseball team

#4 RELbacker51

RELbacker51

The Franchise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 10:53 AM

I can promise you Tyler Lee is known for a winning tradition in football. Especially after last year's push.

#5 Smoaky

Smoaky

Smoakhouse Honcho

• Root Admin
  • 9,153 posts
  • Interests:Program Director and Sports Talk Show Host at ESPN Radio-Central Texas. This includes AM1660, AM1330, 100.9FM and 1660espn.com. I own Smoaky.com, the high school website that was launched in July, 2002. And, most importantly, I have a loving wife, Cindy and an incredible son, Craig, and daughter, Jennifer.

Posted 10 April 2003 - 12:41 PM

Tyler sports fans are more worried about the Major League sports teams than their own.

With the exception of high school football.

Tyler has lost the following events:

*Eisenhower International Golf Classic, the Azalea 10K, and the Beauty & the Beast have all gone from high-quality, highly-publicized Pro-Am's to fundraiser and charity events.

*The NJCAA Women's Basketball Tournament.

*The "Friendship" games in baseball between the USA and other countries.

East Texas sports fans outside of Tyler are worried about the Mavericks, Cowboys, Stars, and Rangers, but they don't lose focus of their local high school teams.

Although I'm disappointment in Tyler losing so many events, I'm proud they've supported my three-hour afternoon Sports Talk show!

Smoaky

#6 NDNJOE

NDNJOE

Secretary of Defense

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 01:00 PM

I think that as far as minor league sports Tyler dosent get behind them like some towns, but they are close enought to Dallas to go up there and watch the "big show". I know that the 2 times I have played at Rose it was sold out, and they werent all from J'ville, HP, and T-High, they really get behind their high school teams(Lee-Lufkin). Answer this ? how many of those minor league ball players made it to the big show??
GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

#7 cockyathensfan

cockyathensfan

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 April 2003 - 09:50 PM

great point smoaky... i guess thats why youve made a living out of sports

#8 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,805 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 11 April 2003 - 08:55 AM

Originally posted by NDNJOE
Answer this -- how many of those minor league ball players made it to the big show??

ANSWER: One...Todd Rizzo -- 1994 Tyler WildCatters & 1998-99 Chicago White Sox. Rizzo is currently playing for the Orioles' AAA Ottawa Lynx & could be back up any time...

Dan Ramirez, who played for the 2001 Tyler Roughnecks, is currently playing with the DiamondBacks' AAA Tucson Sidewinders & is just a call-up away!

BTW -- five WildCatters and Roughnecks had prior Major League playing experience:

Greg Brummett
Larry Carter
Jessie Hollins
Ken Patterson
Jeff Ware

#9 shoelessjoelives

shoelessjoelives

THE PRIDE OF LSU SPORTS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,418 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 10:12 AM

Tyler needed to support the Wildcatters, and then the Roughnecks, ........but Tyler is a "big talker-little doer" area. So, now that we are without a baseball team and it is our own fault. Nobody goes to the games, but take the team away and the whining begins. Hey folks, if you have a team, you need to go see them play !!
Number 2 !!!!!!- Tyler has had some good players here, look at Brent's list in the previous post, but how would most people here know that,..... because they never went to the games !!
"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, it part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that is good, and all that could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come."............Terence Mann

#10 Lhornfan

Lhornfan

Bevos Alter Ego

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 11:26 AM

As much as I hate to say it Tyler has become the home of the "soccer mom."

#11 HITnRUN10

HITnRUN10

Designated Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 11 April 2003 - 01:27 PM

It is obvious with what is stated above that Tyler is not a big sports town.

#12 TJC_fan

TJC_fan

Senior Ambassador

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 09:32 PM

Well, I worked the NJCAA Women's National Basketball Tourney for all 9 years -- only to see it "run out of town" -- effort wise!!!!

And then, I worked for the Wildcatters for their last two years before they left town!!!

For awhile, I was wondering if I was a jinx!! Now I realize that Tyler's not a "sports' town"!!!!!!!

#13 blindref

blindref

vaya con Dios

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 08:32 AM

You can ressurrect the poll, but not the city! Great sports towns are not located in dry counties!
Why...you're no daisy...you're no daisy t'all!

#14 Straw

Straw

Rise and rise again!

• Administrators
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 11:15 AM

Originally posted by blindref
You can ressurrect the poll, but not the city! Great sports towns are not located in dry counties!

Great point Ref. Also what are ya'll comparing Tyler to?Dallas?Houston? Im sure all mid size towns have lost sports franchise's in the past and have had people whinning about it. All the baseball teams we've had did very poor advertising and community service. Look at how the Twisters are going to all the schools to talk to the kids about how important school is. I hope this works but did the baseball teams do anything like that?

#15 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,805 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 05:50 PM

...and many cities with less people than Tyler have embraced their Minor League teams for many years.

strawberry66 -- I would not call it whining, just a little frustration that a town our size does not support the great game of Baseball.

People on the outside see Tyler as a prime location for a team (halfway between Shreveport and DFW). What do they see that 90% of Tyler does not?????

How pathetic is it that beer is the deciding factor on whether someone attends of does not attend a game?? If you have to have your precious beer, put some in your trunk & go to your car every half inning.

#16 Straw

Straw

Rise and rise again!

• Administrators
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 06:08 PM

Brent, I didnt mean to imply that you or anybody else on Smoaky were whining. However my problem with the Wildcatters began when I went to A game during the summer (it was very hot) I had just enough money to get in and I also had a sterofoam cup of water. They would not let me in with the water. They told me I would have to buy a cup inside ($2.00) I told the lady that I did not have $2.00. Her responce was "To Bad". As far as beer is concerend how many people would go to clubs if they did not sell beer?

#17 LoboFan07

LoboFan07

Heart of the Stars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,102 posts
  • Interests:Stars Season Ticket Holder
    Fan Of -
    Dallas Stars (Since '95)
    Arsenal FC (Since '07)
    Alabama Crimson Tide (Since '05)
    Kentucky Wildcats (Since '88)
    SMU Mustangs (Since '88)
    Longview Lobos (Since '88)

RIP Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs (1997-2011)

Posted 21 December 2003 - 06:20 PM

I still dont understand why Tyler doesnt get a minor league team? That would really help bring more people to theton. Just a crazy thought

Alabama Crimson Tide | SMU Mustangs | Kentucky Wildcats | Dallas Stars | Arsenal FC | Blyth AFC

LONGVIEW LOBO HISTORY

THE LONGVIEW LOBOS
1937 1A STATE CHAMPIONS
1997 5A Division I - 2008 4A Division I - 2009 4A Division I State Finalist
1947, 1975, 2010 State Semi-Finalist
1940, 1986, 1996, 2002, 2007 State Quarterfinalist
2004, 2011, 2012, 2013 Regional Finalist
1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 2001, 2006 Area Finalist

1927 Bi-District Champions
1924, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1942, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1980, 1984, 1992, 2003, 2005 Bi-District Finalists
1924, 1927, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1940, 1947, 1958, 1959, 1967, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985,
1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 District Champions

#18 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

This thread is four years old & the answer to the question is still a resounding NO.

It's actually become worse:
  • Smith Country remains dry as a bone
  • Four professional Baseball leagues exist with Texas teams (five in 2008) & Mike Carter Field sits vacant during the summer months
  • Longview will construct a new convention center & appears to be the only East Texas city that cares about sports entertainment progression

Flame/bash to your heart's delight, but I WILL NOT give up on this crusade !! biggrin.gif

#19 threejs

threejs

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, basketball, BBQ & Golf

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:04 PM

NO, Tyler is not a great sports town, especially baseball wise. However, just knowing how Tyler operates, the ONLY chance for Minor League baseball to succeed here would be to build a stadium in South Tyler, have it affiliated with a MLB team and don't let the City of Tyler anywhere near the field maintenance barn. Beer sales MIGHT be a cool novelty for some folks in the beginning, but I don't think it would increase attendance in the long run. Tyler people would initially like the "cool factor" of a MLB affiliation, but even then, the new would wear off too quickly. There just aren't enough people in Tyler who love baseball ,sans the gimmicks.

I bet you could go to Faulkner Park/Golden Road and survey all of the parents of all the little leaguers. You could ask each one what school their LL player attends (TISD, Grace, Gorman, Whitehouse ,Bullard ,etc.). Then ask them if they attended ANY high school baseball games at their school. I would bet 19 out of 20 would say they haven't ever attended a high school game and 95% of those could give you ZERO details about that team. They just don't care.

Did UT-Tyler or TJC bust any attendance records this year? UTT lost 1 game and TJC is playing in the JC-D3 World Series in Tyler right now. You think Mike Carter is packed? (No I didn't go-I used my allotment of games watching Lee play)

#20 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 19,805 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:18 PM

Originally posted by threejs
There just aren't enough people in Tyler who love baseball

I know, I know -- but I don't think it is hopeless under the right circumstances.

It's an enigma ... every other portion of Texas supports Baseball, but not East Texas :shrug:

Perhaps Tyler needs to be a Nolan Ryan-owned franchise ... 'cause we all know how much East Texas love their Nolan Ryan !! biggrin.gif

I wouldn't care if it's a Charlie Hough-owned team, just get one here !!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users