4 replies to this topic

#1 dualdellortos

dualdellortos

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:52 AM

Yesterday, the UIL legislative council tabled the Big 5A, Small 5A proposal for further study. This pushes it back to at least fall 2010.

#2 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:09 PM

bad move. I think it just makes the disparity between larger schools & smaller schools within a classification widen. If small 1000 ADA 4A schools don't like playing 1700 enrollment schools, they will love playing 2000+ enrollment schools.

#3 dualdellortos

dualdellortos

Starter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:16 AM

I think the big issue is travel. Some of the west Texas schools would be split into 2 districts requiring them to all have district games in the metroplex and the panhandle schools having district games in Abilene. Also, same kind of problem in East Texas and Beaumont. Then you would also have school districts with 2 - 8 schools in them split into 2 athletic districts instead of 1. Causes some scheduling nightmares, not to mention subvarsity games on Thursday where you might have to travel for hours AFTER the game on a school night.

The UIL is going to use the new numbers from this week to put together "sample" districts to show what would havce happened if they had done it so that they can address the issues that pop up and how they might be fixed so that this can become a reality in 2010 or maybe it will show that the problems are too big to fix.

BTW, this is only being considered for 5A. All other conferences have the 2 to 1 ratio in enrollment. 5A exceeds that with the mega schools like the Planos, Allen, etc

#4 bordertown

bordertown

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

I understand the travel issue and quite frankly it is not much different in East Texas for schools like Lufkin. Many of the these mega-schools such as the Midland/Odessa area are a victim of their own greed for athletic success by having a larger pool. If the larger 5A schools do not like the travel, they can fix the issue (open new schools). I do agree the districts do need more than 2 years to plan. I think they should comment to a plan today to be implemented in 2012. Let the buyer beware.

No matter what you do, the windshield time will still be huge.

#5 RockingEl08

RockingEl08

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (dualdellortos @ Oct 23 2007, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yesterday, the UIL legislative council tabled the Big 5A, Small 5A proposal for further study. This pushes it back to at least fall 2010.

Go 6-A

It won't happen for a while, but whatever...
"Fight 'em 'til Hell freezes over. Then fight 'em on the ice." -Dutch Meyer, TCU coach 1934-1952

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users