4 replies to this topic

#1 Straw

Straw

Rise and rise again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,367 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

New Orleans Saint RB George Rogers when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first."

And, upon hearing Joe Jacobi of the 'Skins say: "I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl," Matt Millen of the Raiders said: "To win, I'd run over Joe's Mom, too."

Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, on his coach, John Jenkins: "He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings."

Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann, 1996: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh : "I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." (now that is beautiful)

Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach: "You guys line up alphabetically by height." And, "You guys pair up in groups of three, then, line up in a circle."

Boxing promoter Dan Duva on Mike Tyson hooking up again with promoter Don King: "Why would anyone expect him to come out smarter? He went to prison for three years, not Princeton "

Stu Grimson, Chicago Blackhawks left wing, explaining why he keeps a color photo of himself above his locker: "That's so when I forget how to spell my name, I can still find my clothes."

Lou Duva, veteran boxing trainer, on the Spartan training regime of heavyweight Andrew Golota: "He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."

Chuck Nevitt, North Carolina State basketball player, explaining to Coach Jim Valvano why he appeared nervous at practice: "My sister's expecting a baby, and I don't know if I'm going to be an uncle or an aunt." (I wonder if his IQ ever hit room temperature in January)

Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, "Coach, I don't know and I don't care."

Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D: "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

Amarillo High School and Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips, Phillips responded: "Because she is too ugly to kiss good-bye." (Dead man walkin' )

#2 Boss302

Boss302

smoaky.com’s starting goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Classic Rock, German Beer, Kitchen table pistolsmithing

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

Former NHL goaltender Glenn Healy, on his IHL time.
"One road trip we were stuck on the runway for seven hours. The plane kept driving and driving until we arrived at the rink and I realized we were on a bus."

Former Tampa Bay Lightning coach Terry Crisp after a 10-0 loss.
"The only difference between this and Custer's last stand was Custer didn't have to look at the tape afterwards".

"Well, we've determined that we can't win at home and we can't win on the road. What we need is a neutral site."
John McKay, the first coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, during the inaugural season of 1976 when the Bucs endured a 0-14 record.

"Well, we didn't block real good but we made up for it by not tackling."
John McKay, the first coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, during the inaugural season of 1976 when the Bucs endured a 0-14 record.

"I'm in favor of it."
John McKay, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1976, when asked about the execution of his team.
Posted Image

#3 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,394 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

YES! YES! YES! The Stars win the Stanley Cup! The Stars win the Stanley Cup!
~ Ralph Strangis circa 12:40am - June 20, 1999

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
~ Wayne Gretzky

Yeah, but I'm 70 years old!
~ Ted Williams explaining to a reporter why he would "only" hit .320 if he were playing at the time of the interview

I don't even suspect anything
~ A grade school-aged Yogi Berra's reply to a teacher who asked him, "Don't you know anything?"

I've been "up there" before, but not in those seats
~ Bob Uecker responding to an on-air question from Bob Costas as the camera panned the "cheap seats"

Don't you know who I am? I'm a Major League Baseball player!
~ Eddie Gaedel during a scuffle with Cincinnati police while being arrested for public intoxication - three weeks after his controversial Major League debut in 1951

I ain't goin' on no time machine!
~ Spirit of St. Louis forward Marvin Barnes' response after reading the itinerary of a one-hour plane flight from Louisville, Kentucky (Eastern time zone) to St. Louis, Missouri (Central time zone): DEPARTURE: 8am, ARRIVAL: 7:57 am

#4 shoelessjoelives

shoelessjoelives

THE PRIDE OF LSU SPORTS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

"Whata ya askin' me for, I'm askin' you !!"
"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, it part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that is good, and all that could be again. Oh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come."............Terence Mann

#5 HvilleCat23

HvilleCat23

hvillecat23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts
  • Interests:God,Sports, My Wife, Hallsville Highschool Sports and Education, City of Longview. I am a LMT. Texas Longhorns, TCU Horned Frogs, Hockey, Sports in General. Looking to play for some city league teams sometime soon.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:11 AM

Vince Lombardi-
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don’t do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”

“The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It’s your mind you have to convince.”

“Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.”

“You never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man.”

“The object is to win fairly, by the rules – but to win.”

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users