99 replies to this topic

#81 carolinarig

carolinarig

2nd Stringer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:11 AM

What about Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Precious Paul Ellering, Paul Orndoff, The iron shiek, Buck Robey. Mid South was the best. I spent more hours than I'm proud of at the Municipal Auditorium Downtown S'port back in the day. Best Memory: Kabuki sprayed his "green mist" at Dick Murdock so Murdock gets a dip of snuff and spits it at him.....Classic. JYD was always the crowd fav. with his chains and Big Cat wasn't far behind. Pork chops Cash was another big time favorite. Fun times. Good memories. Thanks for bringing this one up.

BTW< Did anyone mention Jake "The Snake" Roberts.?

#82 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Sports, Music, Reading, anything that makes me better.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (carolinarig @ Jan 6 2010, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about Big Cat Ernie Ladd, Precious Paul Ellering, Paul Orndoff, The iron shiek, Buck Robey. Mid South was the best. I spent more hours than I'm proud of at the Municipal Auditorium Downtown S'port back in the day. Best Memory: Kabuki sprayed his "green mist" at Dick Murdock so Murdock gets a dip of snuff and spits it at him.....Classic. JYD was always the crowd fav. with his chains and Big Cat wasn't far behind. Pork chops Cash was another big time favorite. Fun times. Good memories. Thanks for bringing this one up.

BTW< Did anyone mention Jake "The Snake" Roberts.?

He's #10 on my list. I liked him better than I did his dad Grizzly Smith. I remember the Municipal Auditorium quite well. Back in the day, Mid-South was on at 3 p.m. on Saturday, then again at Midnight after SNL. I'd always try to stay up with my brothers to watch it, but most of the time fell asleep. Then it came on again at 3 p.m. on Sunday, sometimes we missed that to watch the Cowboys play. It was on ABC KTBS channel 3, this was pre-cable.

This is a better tribute to "Dr. Death" Steve Williams : .

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself. Jim Morrison

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Thomas Paine

#83 elviscostello

elviscostello

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE (DaveTV1 @ Jan 6 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's #10 on my list. I liked him better than I did his dad Grizzly Smith. I remember the Municipal Auditorium quite well. Back in the day, Mid-South was on at 3 p.m. on Saturday, then again at Midnight after SNL. I'd always try to stay up with my brothers to watch it, but most of the time fell asleep. Then it came on again at 3 p.m. on Sunday, sometimes we missed that to watch the Cowboys play. It was on ABC KTBS channel 3, this was pre-cable.

This is a better tribute to "Dr. Death" Steve Williams : .

yeah, Municipal Auditorium was quite a place back then. Now a days watch out. That's one of the worst parts of S'port. Remember the Bill Hanna Ford dealership close by? Many of his new cars recieved the brunt of some over zealous fans trying the "Thump" JYD style after watching some of the classics. We also played ball at the old SPAR stadium close by and enjoyed some great games against Midland Cubs, Jackson Mets, The old Captains (Pirates farm team back then). Saw Daryl Strawberry play many nights for the Jackson Mets and leave from the deepest part of the field 409 dead center with a 30+' flag pole that Strawberry cleared easily. Saw Tony Pena, Rob Deer, Robin Ventura, and many other greats. Alot of good "beer garden" brawls happened there.

#84 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

We lost another great wrassler today. I remember Jack Brisco, and he was fun to watch as a kid. Jack Brisco over Ric Flair :
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you're in control, they're in control. Tom Landry

#85 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts
  • Interests:"edibles" and "herbs"

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

Ted "Million Dollar Man" Dibiase
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

#86 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (camuchs @ Feb 3 2010, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ted "Million Dollar Man" Dibiase
"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

Who was the third part of the Rat Pack ?

#87 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

You talkin' 'bout Matt Borne?

#88 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (camuchs @ Feb 4 2010, 05:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You talkin' 'bout Matt Borne?

Yes, and that was the original Rat Pack : Matt Borne and Ted Dibiase (before he was the million dollar man), and before Jim "Hacksaw" Duggan and Mr. Olympia turned on JYD and became a member of the Rat Pack. Here's a clip of Matt Borne vs. Mr. Olympia :

#89 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

^I like DiBiase way before he was "the Million Dollar Man" I always like Mid-South better than WWF or any of those large market circuits.

Remember "Ice Man" King Parsons?
and Kamala the Ugandan Giant ?

#90 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (camuchs @ Feb 5 2010, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^I like DiBiase way before he was "the Million Dollar Man" I always like Mid-South better than WWF or any of those large market circuits.

Remember "Ice Man" King Parsons?
and Kamala the Ugandan Giant ?

When I was a kid I loved wrassling. It was great entertainment for a kid. Do you remember "Gorilla" Monsoon ? . People still hate Muhammad Ali, but he played the part well.

#91 camuchs

camuchs

Pro Peace Provacateur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

Can't say that I remember him, at least not from Mid-south , he looks alot like an announcer from one of the other wrestling federations, his name was Geno or something like that.

#92 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (camuchs @ Feb 7 2010, 06:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't say that I remember him, at least not from Mid-south , he looks alot like an announcer from one of the other wrestling federations, his name was Geno or something like that.

Mid-South was always good about showing clips from other areas wrestling matches. They would show footage of Andre the Giant, and other matches around the world.

#93 Valhalla

Valhalla

RED IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts
  • Interests:Sooners and the Thunder.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

My favorites were:

Hulk Hogan
Shawn Michaels
Mick Foley
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
-Mike Ditka-

"What it comes down to is that anybody can win with the best horse.What makes you good is if you can take the second or third best horse and win."

#94 JV_COACH

JV_COACH

Big Nasty

• Moderators
  • 5,944 posts
  • Interests:Faith is personal but it's never private. -Alistair Begg

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:41 AM

Andre The Giant, who was also the best actor of any pro athlete "Princess Bride"
Every word of God is pure; He is a shield unto them that put thier trust in Him.
Proverbs 30:5
--
WHAT WOULD HAVE TO HAVE HAPPEN FOR THE BIBLE TO BE A MAN-MADE PRODUCT

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/worldview-...hp?videoid=2215
---
In memory of PFC Nils G. Thompson
http://www.studybiblesf
orsoldiers.com/Thompson.html

--
God has put enough into the world to make faith in Him a most reasonable thing. But He has left enough out to make it impossible to live by sheer reason or observation alone. Ravi Zachurias

#95 DaveTV1

DaveTV1

Natural

• Moderators
  • 15,287 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (JV_COACH @ Feb 12 2010, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Andre The Giant, who was also the best actor of any pro athlete "Princess Bride"

I finally watched "The Wrestler" the other night, and I think part of the story was based on Andre The Giant.

#96 Valhalla

Valhalla

RED IV

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts
  • Interests:Sooners and the Thunder.

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (DaveTV1 @ Feb 12 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I finally watched "The Wrestler" the other night, and I think part of the story was based on Andre The Giant.

That was a good movie, but they could have left certain parts out and it still would have been equally as good.
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
-Mike Ditka-

"What it comes down to is that anybody can win with the best horse.What makes you good is if you can take the second or third best horse and win."

#97 68Hornet

68Hornet

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:04 PM

Danny Hodge was my favorite as a youngster

#98 98crush

98crush

The man, the myth, the legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

You know that when Paul Orndorff would make that circle on his forehead and folks looked in it, they were in some major trouble. lol...At least that's how I remember it anyways. I was like 9-10 years old.
I never will forget when the team of Ted Didiase and JYD were in a match and Ted Dibiase loaded that glove and hit JYD. Laid him out cold, that broke my heart man. This is bringing up some bad memories for me... lol

My vote is JYD aka Stagger Lee.... Wasn't nothing like it when "another one bites the dust" started playing.....

One "Tiger Nation" under SDC...

#99 TxBroadcaster

TxBroadcaster

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,094 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (DaveTV1 @ Jan 2 2010, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I grew up with Mid-South Wrestling, and I still have a program with "Bruiser" Bob Sweetan's blood on it. We recently lost "Dr. Death" Steve Williams to cancer : http://wrestlingtrut...ms-passes-away/

He was also an All-American football player at the University of Oklahoma. I liked Steve Williams even when he whipped up on Jim "Hacksaw" "SMU" Duggan. May God rest his soul :

Who can ever forget the famous football helmet match
Listen Each Week Sideline To Sideline http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1255035

#100 JUSTwannaSAY2u

JUSTwannaSAY2u

Coaching Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Interests:ANYTHING HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS - SCOUTING

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (CoachBennett @ Feb 20 2010, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who can ever forget the famous football helmet match

GOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDBEEEEERG! (GOLDBERG)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users