R.I.P. Red Murff

cheaptrick77

red2.jpg
uniform #19 with the 1956-1957 Milwaukee Braves

Very sad news ... Texas Baseball legend Red Murff passed away today in Tyler at the age of 87.

John Robert Murff was born April 1, 1921 in Burlington, Texas.

Like many of his professional Baseball contemporaries of the WW-II ear, Red's service to his country postponed his pro career. He was 29 when his made his profession debut with the 1950 Baton Rouge Red Sticks of the Class C Evangeline League. Ol' Red posted a 17-4 record and 2.96 ERA that rookie season.

On June 8, 1951, as a member of the Texas City Texans, Murff pitched a no-hitter against the Harlingen Capitols, winning the Gulf Coast League (Class B) contest, 6-0

In 1952, Murff was the ace of the Big State Champion Tyler East Texans -- posting a 23-13 record and 3.06 ERA.

On July 15, 1952, Red pitched 19 2/3 innings of a 20-inning marathon against the Texarkana Bears (BOX SCORE <--- must be seen to believe!).

Murff was named the Minor League Player Of The Year in 1955 as a member of the Texas League's Dallas Eagles ... with a stellar 27-11 record and 1.99 ERA.

Red made his Major League Debut on April 21, 1956 with the Milwaukee Braves against the St. Louis Cardinals.

He is on an exclusive list of Major League pitchers who collected a base hit before earning a victory. Red's lone Major League hit occurred on June 8, 1956 -- off of New York Giants righthander Al Worthington. His first MLB victory would come over 10 months later -- April 28, 1957 in the Braves 3-2 victory over the Cincinnati Redlegs.

Red appeared in 26 Major League games with the 1956-1957 Braves ... finishing with a 2-2 record and 4.65 ERA.

Murff's pro career ended after the 1960 campaign, where he served as a player-manager with the South Atlantic League's Jacksonville Braves.

Red compiled a lifetime Minor League record of 146-95 and 2.95 ERA between 1950 and 1960.

Following he professional career, Red became a very successful Major League scout -- discovering among others, one Nolan Ryan. In his 1999 Hall of Fame Acceptance Speech, Ryan mentioned Murff:

Red Murff, the scout that signed me for the Mets, is here with us today, and I am proud to say that Red is a friend and that Red took more of an interest in me at an early age. He thought when he saw me at 6'2" and 140, he wasn't discouraged by my build and by the way I threw the baseball as many other scouts were. And I appreciate the fact that Red spent so much time with me and worked to help me become a better pitcher. Thank you, Red.

On August 2, 2001 -- the Tyler Roughnecks retired uniform #21 ... the number Red wore with the 1952 Tyler East Texans.

red21.jpg

R.I.P. Red :cry:

What a loss. The man was a true gentleman, baseball legend and all around good guy. I will never forget the day I met Red. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, Sara and family.

My autographed copy of his book,"The Scout" he wrote with Mike Capps now has been moved into a very safe place in my abode.

I would like to quote Red from his book. This comes from the last paragraph of his book in which he says........ "My mind regularly produces its own baseball feature film. In it I see images of Nolan and Koosman on the mound and Grote and Bateman behind the plate and Kenny Boswell on second. I visualize a mirage of dozens and dozens of other ballplayers hitting line drives, running the bases, managers arguing with umpires, fans cheering, and scouts taking it all in, trying not to let a good one get away. These very real, very graphic scenes deliciously dance in my head, and then a tear runs down my cheek. In the peaceful stillness of that moment, when no one else is around, I quietly whisper, "Thank you, God, for baseball and its wonderful people and all the game has done for me and meant to me. God, I do love it so!"

I would like to thank God for the gift that Red was to all of us. A tear is running down all of our cheeks tonight. God Bless You and Keep You, Red ! Red, don't forget to check the lineup card now in the Field of Dreams. You might be the starting pitcher listed on the lineup card.

The first time I ever talked to Red, I was about 12 years old watching a Little League baseball game. We talked baseball for quite a while, as I remember.

An amazing human being and one of the great baseball minds of our time. Always knew this day would be coming soon, and he fought for a long, long time.

RIP, Red. Baseball lost another great today.

AP story:

Scout who discovered Ryan dead at 87

TYLER, Texas (AP)-- John Robert "Red" Murff, the New York Mets scout who discovered Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan, died Friday in a Tyler nursing home. He was 87.

Bill McMillion, a spokesman for Burks-Walker-Tippit Funeral Directors, confirmed the death. McMillion said he had no additional information.

Ryan, now president of the Texas Rangers, noted his friendship with Murff in his 1999 Hall of Fame induction speech.

"He thought when he saw me at 6-foot-2 and 140 pounds, he wasn't discouraged by my build and by the way I threw the baseball as many other scouts were," he said. "And I appreciate the fact that Red spent so much time with me and worked to help me become a better pitcher. Thank you, Red."

Murff played for the Milwaukee Braves from 1956-1957, going 2-2 with three saves and a 4.65 ERA in 26 games.

Murff was inducted into the Texas Baseball Hall of Fame in 1989 and the Texas Scouts Association Hall of Fame in 1999. He helped start the baseball program at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Belton, and in 1994 the school's ballpark was named Red Murff Field.

The first time I met Murff, I was amazed at how he treated me. I was a young high school baseball coach, and he treated me like I was a Major League manager. He told me I had the job of a lifetime - to be able to teach young men the game of baseball. I listened to some great stories of the past that day, and boy could he tell them. Thanks for the memories Murff.