Big Sandy hires alum-Larry Minter as AD/Football Coach

Smoaky

Larry Minter has been hired as the new athletic director and head football coach at his alma mater, Big Sandy High School.

Minter, a 1991 graduate of Big Sandy told David Smoak, "I just look forward to being in this position in my hometown, I had a great experience in athletics when I was here in high school and I want the student-athletes to enjoy that from now into the future."

This will be Minter's first head coaching job in football, he's been an assistant at Big Sandy on two occasions, and has also been an assistant at Wortham (when they had Leonard Davis), West Rusk, Quitman, and Gladewater.

Minter replaces Darold Turner, who resigned earlier this month to take the same job at Winona High School.

Defensive coordinator Jeff Baker was also a finalist for the job.

David Smoak

I am so excited to see Coach Minter get this opportunity. Being the son of a coach and running around the hallways of Big Sandy as a kid and dreaming of following in his dad's footsteps, I think he now is achieving a life long dream. He is a good football coach, a trusted friend, and I couldn't be more happy for him. He has a genuine love of all sports. I think you will see an AD who builds programs from the bottom up and I'm excited to see it develop. Congratulations Coach Minter.