a great game to see

Stoney

In 1950, as a way to break the Texas League record for opening-day attendance, Richard Burnett got permission to play in the Cotton Bowl, which at the time could hold as many as 75,000. In order to draw a big crowd, he wanted a lineup of former stars to don Dallas Eagles uniforms and face one Tulsa hitter in the top of the first inning. Most of the retired stars were cool to the idea, except for then-current Dallas Eagles manager Charlie Grimm. When the legendary Ty Cobb agreed to come to Dallas, the others followed his lead. Preceding the game was a parade through downtown Dallas. "It was the pre-game show that got 'em," bellowed Dizzy Dean by way of self congratulation. "Cobb, Cochrane, Home Run Baker, Speaker, and Ol' Diz in Dallas duds." The 54,151 who showed up were lucky enough to see Ty Cobb hit several #### into the stands, just to show he could still handle the bat. The Kilgore Rangerettes drill team performed on the field prior to the game. Texas governor Allan Shivers threw out the first pitch. Defensively, the old-timer lineup of the Eagles were: Duffy Lewis in left field, Cobb in center field, Texas native Tris Speaker in right field, Frank "Home Run" Baker at third base, Travis Jackson at shortstop, Charlie Gehringer at second base, manager Grimm at first base, Mickey Cochrane at catcher, and former Houston Buffaloes star pitcher Dizzy Dean on the mound. Dean walked the leadoff batter for Tulsa, Harry Donabedian, on a 3-2 count, and then the regular Dallas players took the field. Dean got into an orchestrated rhubarb and was tossed from the game. The crowd of 54,151 still stands as the largest in Texas League history and second largest in the history of the minor leagues.

Nice bit of history. I remember when there was a Senior Major League Baseball in the late 80's, but none of the teams were in Texas. They used to play several Old Timers games, but those have gone by the wayside in recent years. They maybe a novelty, like the Dallas Cowboys basketball and softball teams, but just to see the players that you enjoyed when you were a kid would be great.

April 11, 1950 -- a great day in Texas Baseball history!

1950.jpg

(L-R) Dizzy Dean, Mickey Cochrane, Charlie Gehringer, Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, Charlie Grimm, Duff Lewis, Home Run Baker and Travis Jackson

The Dallas Eagles "regular" lineup that night (players in bold played Minor League Baseball in Tyler, Texas at some point of their careers):

Billy Klaus, 3B

Lew Morton, LF

Heinz Becker, 1B

Vernon Washington, RF

Bob Cullins, 2B

Clyde Perry, SS

Jim Kirby, CF

D i c k Aylward, C

Tom Finger, P

My grandpa who has sense past away used to tell me about seeing Babe Ruth play one time in Columbus Ohio for some game or another. The Clippers are the Yankees farm club but I don't think that was the case then. He said that Babe Ruth looked like a duck who waddled around the bases but was actually pretty fast. Gosh, what I wouldn't give to go back in time to have seen the Babe play! I mean look at the guy, his facial features were like a cartoon character. Like Abe Lincoln. I mean that in that they don't really look like a normal person. If that makes sense. But they did such great things that they just have a face that stands out in your memory. I really think that sometimes that's God's presense being seen.

(L-R) Dizzy Dean, Mickey Cochrane, Charlie Gehringer, Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, Charlie Grimm, Duff Lewis, Home Run Baker and Travis Jackson

how would you like to trot out that lineup every day cheapy? :lol: might win some games.