Smith County Justice

HouTex

For anyone that does not know, This is the story of the corrupt legal system of Smith County, after the big drug bust in the 70's, I believe.

It seems a very interesting story, but it would seem as though the writer, David Ellsworth was "talked into" pulling the book off the shelves and destroying most copies.

Apparently, not too many people have this book anymore, including the Tyler Public Library, as well as TJC.

Can anyone thats been living around the area for quite some time fill me in on what exactly happened?

Read it and believe it. I was 20 years old at the time and many of my friends were wrongly accused in the bogus drug sweep. All of the cases were eventually dismissed. A guy I went to school with actually shot the narcs and got away scot free due to their zealous intent to frame Ken Bora.

Read it and believe it. I was 20 years old at the time and many of my friends were wrongly accused in the bogus drug sweep. All of the cases were eventually dismissed. A guy I went to school with actually shot the narcs and got away scot free due to their zealous intent to frame Ken Bora.

Ah.

I'll definately read it if I can get ahold of it.

So am I the only one that was not aware of this, or have they really done that good a job of covering it up?

Oh, man! When I saw the thread title, I thought someone located a copy of the book! :w00t:

I was too young to understand the particulars, but I remember hearing Kenneth Bora's name on the news EVERY night -- along with the Smith County Electric Company.

BTW -- the mediocre 1991 movie Rush is loosely based on this story...

Pretty crazy, and please tell me the writer, David Ellsworth, is not now, this man.

http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/

He's not............

My first exposure to woodturning began in 1958, when I was fourteen. By the time I received my Master's degree in sculpture in 1973, I had worked in many media including metal, fiber and polyester. But it was my experience working in clay that led me to consider the intimate power of the vessel form. My love for the material of wood returned and by the mid-1975, I had developed a series of tools that allowed me to produce thin-walled hollow forms through a process I called 'blind turning'.

As both a maker and a teacher, I am constantly reminded of the importance of remaining a student of one's own work. This philosophy has allowed me to remain receptive to many influences that surround me, including objects from other cultures, the infinite variety of the materials I use, and my own personal and spiritual connection to the vessel form. The evolution of my work has therefore taken many directions, each stage of which I see as the foundation for a body of work that is yet to be realized.

My intent as an artist is to translate thought into form and to create singular statements that evolve through the integration of the material of wood with the process of turning. I prefer to work in series where I can explore ideas, challenge concepts and expand the dimension of my work into a broad visual language. I consider the skill of my craft to be the foundation from which my artwork has evolved, and that the identity of each object is a glimmer of the collective body of my life's work.

$49 for a paperback reprint is your best physical copy price...

$49.00 for a freakin' paperback?!!?!?! :rant:

At that price I better be able to drop it in the toilet and have it come out still smellin' new.......

Along this same path...there is a book written about Gregg County and its corruption days under Welch. It is called Hush Little Bubba, Don't Say a Word. A must read if you like things like this.

I remember when I was a kid all the hoolah going on about that...my dad went to school with Tom Welch... Tom lived right down the road from us, and still does (or where we used to live).

Now, ya gotta hear Tom tell the story...I still to this day, ask him where he's got jars of money from "others" hidden in the pasture...he laughs...hummmm

Got some yahoo now going on up in Upshur County here as well..

• 12 years later...