16 replies to this topic

#1 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

For anyone that does not know, This is the story of the corrupt legal system of Smith County, after the big drug bust in the 70's, I believe.
It seems a very interesting story, but it would seem as though the writer, David Ellsworth was "talked into" pulling the book off the shelves and destroying most copies.
Apparently, not too many people have this book anymore, including the Tyler Public Library, as well as TJC.
Can anyone thats been living around the area for quite some time fill me in on what exactly happened?

#2 Fivehead

Fivehead

General Manager

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

Read it and believe it. I was 20 years old at the time and many of my friends were wrongly accused in the bogus drug sweep. All of the cases were eventually dismissed. A guy I went to school with actually shot the narcs and got away scot free due to their zealous intent to frame Ken Bora.
Lighten up, Francis.

If I've offended anyone here this evening, well, how about that!

#3 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (Fivehead @ Sep 4 2009, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Read it and believe it. I was 20 years old at the time and many of my friends were wrongly accused in the bogus drug sweep. All of the cases were eventually dismissed. A guy I went to school with actually shot the narcs and got away scot free due to their zealous intent to frame Ken Bora.

Ah.
I'll definately read it if I can get ahold of it.
So am I the only one that was not aware of this, or have they really done that good a job of covering it up?

#4 et_football

et_football

East Texas Football.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Twitter:@sevans0276
  • Interests:Texas A&M, Hawkins Hawks, Overton Mustangs, Denver Broncos

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

Check it out here: http://wikileaks.org..._County_Justice

#5 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,348 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

Oh, man! When I saw the thread title, I thought someone located a copy of the book! w00t.gif

I was too young to understand the particulars, but I remember hearing Kenneth Bora's name on the news EVERY night -- along with the Smith County Electric Company.

BTW -- the mediocre 1991 movie Rush is loosely based on this story...

#6 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:49 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, man! When I saw the thread title, I thought someone located a copy of the book! w00t.gif

Actually, I have a friend who's parent own a copy.
Or you could spend a few hundred on Amazon.
laugh.gif

#7 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,348 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, Hockey, Obscure Rock & Roll, Obscure Movies, Proud to be the only East Texan who does not worship at the football alter...

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:53 PM

^ when my brother used to work in bookstores (Tyler and Denton), that was the #1 requested book ...

#8 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ when my brother used to work in bookstores (Tyler and Denton), that was the #1 requested book ...

Pretty crazy, and please tell me the writer, David Ellsworth, is not now, this man.
http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/

#9 delap

delap

The Guardian

• Administrators
  • 3,229 posts
  • Location:Hometown: Lindale, TX; College: College Station, TX
  • Interests:Church, Fishing, Hunting, Baseball, Politics, Reading, Webforums, Technology, NRA, U.S. Military, the outdoors.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Rockon1885 @ Sep 4 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty crazy, and please tell me the writer, David Ellsworth, is not now, this man.
http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/

He's not............
My first exposure to woodturning began in 1958, when I was fourteen. By the time I received my Master's degree in sculpture in 1973, I had worked in many media including metal, fiber and polyester. But it was my experience working in clay that led me to consider the intimate power of the vessel form. My love for the material of wood returned and by the mid-1975, I had developed a series of tools that allowed me to produce thin-walled hollow forms through a process I called 'blind turning'.

As both a maker and a teacher, I am constantly reminded of the importance of remaining a student of one's own work. This philosophy has allowed me to remain receptive to many influences that surround me, including objects from other cultures, the infinite variety of the materials I use, and my own personal and spiritual connection to the vessel form. The evolution of my work has therefore taken many directions, each stage of which I see as the foundation for a body of work that is yet to be realized.

My intent as an artist is to translate thought into form and to create singular statements that evolve through the integration of the material of wood with the process of turning. I prefer to work in series where I can explore ideas, challenge concepts and expand the dimension of my work into a broad visual language. I consider the skill of my craft to be the foundation from which my artwork has evolved, and that the identity of each object is a glimmer of the collective body of my life's work.

Care to keep up with the Cowboys?? Check out www.smoaky.com/cowboys to see "Smoaky's Cowboy Blog" for training camp, news, and interviews by podcast within the next day---and pictures as well.

"Be kinder than neccessary, everyone is fighting some kind of battle."

"I don't know what's worse; watching the high school kids banter in the HS forums or the grown men banter in the Political forums....."- (Me)

"The best seat in the house isn't in a box and doesn't cost a penny; the best seat in the house is on the courtside, on the sideline, and in the dugout!!" - De La P (Me)

This country can go to Hell in a hand basket economically, but if you're not right with God then you've got a lot more to worry about!!!! (Me)

Anyone wishing to contribute to the monthly maintenance costs, or help with all of the recent smoaky.com upgrades can now do so! Please see the bottom of any of the Smoaky.com, smoaky.com HS Stats and Records and Smoakhouse Forums pages for contribution buttons! You may use PayPal or your own choice of credit card.

Contributions are not required but are greatly appreciated!

#10 HouTex

HouTex

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (delap @ Sep 5 2009, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's not............

Ah, indeed.
Well I wonder what he is up to.
Still alive?

#11 delap

delap

The Guardian

• Administrators
  • 3,229 posts
  • Interests:Church, Fishing, Hunting, Baseball, Politics, Reading, Webforums, Technology, NRA, U.S. Military, the outdoors.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

QUOTE (Rockon1885 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, indeed.
Still alive?

No idea........

Oh and you can get the book for $35 at Amazon.....really not that bad of a price.

http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B00070HPRE
Care to keep up with the Cowboys?? Check out www.smoaky.com/cowboys to see "Smoaky's Cowboy Blog" for training camp, news, and interviews by podcast within the next day---and pictures as well.

"I don't know what's worse; watching the high school kids banter in the HS forums or the grown men banter in the Political forums....."- (Me)

"The best seat in the house isn't in a box and doesn't cost a penny; the best seat in the house is on the courtside, on the sideline, and in the dugout!!" - De La P (Me)

This country can go to Hell in a hand basket economically, but if you're not right with God then you've got a lot more to worry about!!!! (Me)

Anyone wishing to contribute to the monthly maintenance costs, or help with all of the recent smoaky.com upgrades can now do so! Please see the bottom of any of the Smoaky.com, smoaky.com HS Stats and Records and Smoakhouse Forums pages for contribution buttons! You may use PayPal or your own choice of credit card.

#12 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,348 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

^ $35 is the Kindle Edition price

WHOA -- Kenneth Bora will sell you an autographed copy for two grand! w00t.gif

http://www.amazon.co...p;condition=new

$49 for a paperback reprint is your best physical copy price...

#13 delap

delap

The Guardian

• Administrators
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (cheaptrick77 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$49 for a paperback reprint is your best physical copy price...

$49.00 for a freakin' paperback?!!?!?! rant.gif

At that price I better be able to drop it in the toilet and have it come out still smellin' new.......

#14 cheaptrick77

cheaptrick77

Rock & Roll Snöb

• Administrators
  • 20,348 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

^ TMI pinch.gif

#15 Five0pd310

Five0pd310

Smoakhouse Staff

• Administrators
  • 11,773 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:52 PM

Along this same path...there is a book written about Gregg County and its corruption days under Welch. It is called Hush Little Bubba, Don't Say a Word. A must read if you like things like this.
Five0pd310@suddenlink.net

#16 parentofredheads

parentofredheads

Natural

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (Five0pd310 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Along this same path...there is a book written about Gregg County and its corruption days under Welch. It is called Hush Little Bubba, Don't Say a Word. A must read if you like things like this.

I remember when I was a kid all the hoolah going on about that...my dad went to school with Tom Welch... Tom lived right down the road from us, and still does (or where we used to live).

Now, ya gotta hear Tom tell the story...I still to this day, ask him where he's got jars of money from "others" hidden in the pasture...he laughs...hummmm

Got some yahoo now going on up in Upshur County here as well..

#17 threejs

threejs

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts
  • Interests:Baseball, basketball, BBQ & Golf

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (Rockon1885 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, indeed.
Still alive?

Call Dillard's Dept. Store. Back in the early 80's, they were able to tell you each time he walked into the store.

No matter how you slice it, it's still an attempt to be the tallest guy at the dwarf convention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users