Is there a rule?

coachlangley

Is there not a rule in Tapps about players playing Jv on thursday and then suiting up on friday, just curious, read in the paper about school moving Jv players up when I know they played both Jv and varsity games in the same week.

If I am not mistaken, it is more about starting in both, instead of playing in both. As long as the player doesn't start in both JV and Varsity, I think it is okay.

If I am not mistaken, it is more about starting in both, instead of playing in both. As long as the player doesn't start in both JV and Varsity, I think it is okay.

I was under the impression that if you lined up on Thursday, you couldn't play on Friday?

In football, you can only play 1 game a week. If a players plays on thursday night. They could dress out on Friday as long as they don't get on the field for a play. A player has played in a game if he is on the field for 1 play.

Some team dress out their JV team on Friday night, just to make it look like they have alot of players. As long as none of them get on the field for a play on friday night, then they did not violate the rule.

In football, you can only play 1 game a week. If a players plays on thursday night. They could dress out on Friday as long as they don't get on the field for a play. A player has played in a game if he is on the field for 1 play.

Some team dress out their JV team on Friday night, just to make it look like they have alot of players. As long as none of them get on the field for a play on friday night, then they did not violate the rule.

We played TK Gorman on a Thursday night....varsity game and they had 5-6 or more play again on Friday night for the JV game. We also play Brook Hill, and I can't remember if they did that last year or not.

I dont beleive there is a rule in TAPPS for football on this at all. I beleive you can play in both JV and Varsity games. Doesnt matter if you start in either or not.

Now obviously any coach would be stupid to play one of your key starters in a JV game because you want them fresh and unhurt for the varsity game. However, with a school that only has 30-35 kids total in football, it makes it kinda hard to field a JV team. So you may have to play some Freshman and Sophmores in JV game that also play in varsity in order to flesh out a JV squad.

But you are taking a chance one of them might get hurt or not be fresh for Friday night. And not having a JV squad is not good because then you have some Fr and So that wont see the field in a varsity game, unless you are way up in a game. And in a small school you want as many kids coming out for football as you can get. Not have JV games will cause Fr and So that know they wont play a lot of varsity not come out for football.

That makes more sense as far as UIL is concerned. It wasn't something I ever dealt with as a Referee, so I never really studied it.

UIL rules can be found here: http://www.uil.utexas.edu/athletics/manuals/football.html

TAPPS: 11 Man: http://www.tapps.net/football_11man.html

I don't think TAPPS has a rule against it, but I am not searching for the answer, so have fun if you want to find it. :)

I just pulled up the rules for 11 man football on the TAPPS website. TAPPS goes by NCAA rules governing the play of football. And also TAPPS has there own specific rules on football. Nowhere in there does it stipulate how much a player can play on JV or Varsity or if they can start, etc. It is not there.

I think the limits mentioned on this thread by members are specific internal rules that individual schools have. But is not a TAPPS rule.

I just pulled up the rules for 11 man football on the TAPPS website. TAPPS goes by NCAA rules governing the play of football. And also TAPPS has there own specific rules on football. Nowhere in there does it stipulate how much a player can play on JV or Varsity or if they can start, etc. It is not there.

I think the limits mentioned on this thread by members are specific internal rules that individual schools have. But is not a TAPPS rule.

What I know, I remember from my younger brother playing in a private school. He would play a JV game but would not be allowed to start, so he could start varsity. It may have been an internal rule as you say, but the boy is 28 years old now and I have slept once or twice since then.

In Football, any player can play in both JV and Varsity games. There is not a certain amount that player can play, but they can not start in the varsity games. In Basketball, there is a limit on how many games a player can suit up for both teams.

You are right on the basketball rule with TAPPS. There is a limit on number of games. But there isnt a rule on football about starting in Varsity. That might be a internal rule that the school has. Grace has more kids out for football, so it would make sense for them to have that rule in place. I remember last year Grace JV had probably 30 or more kids suited up for JV. BH only had 18. And All Saints didnt have enough out for football to even have a JV team last year.

I am a head football coach in TAPPs there is a rule, I have seen it. Try finding stuff in the manual it is not the most organized piece of work.

If you find it, could you send me the reference? You can send me a message here on Smoaky. I would like to see it myself. And you have a point, TAPPS sometimes is not the most organized. thanks

It seems clear from the different athletic rules per sport that TAPPS has not regulated the amount of games a football player can play in, or even if they can or can't start. Other sports like Baseball and Basketball have clearly defined limits on the number of games played. Attached are the links:

http://tapps.net/PDF/Constitution/Athletic...Csection150.pdf (bball)

http://tapps.net/PDF/Constitution/Athletic...Bsection146.pdf (baseball)

http://tapps.net/PDF/Constitution/Athletic...Esection158.pdf (football)

I hope this helps!

That is just one reason why TAPPS needs to play TAPPS. I wish all UIL schools would quit scheduling games with them. I know we are not playing TK or Brook Hill next year. There are too many things they can do that we can't. If they want to play us, then they need to follow all of the same rules we have to, and we know that is not going to happen.

Just my opinion and .02 cents...and neither of those will buy you much.

TAPPS schools CAN follow the rules ^^^. I do not know where you coach, and I am not talking about your program, but just because places are a "so-called" boarding school doesn't mean kids should play on 2 nights. That is what this discussion was first about. So if you call yourself a boarding school, does that give you permission to flaunt against the UIL rules? Just wondering, not trying to start anything. I try to learn as much as I can about things I know nothing about, and this is one of those things.

Like I said, I was not talking about YOUR school cause I do not know where you are. I will give you props for playing your kids one game a week, like everyone else. The boarding school comment was in reference to some schools that have that tag on their name yet most of their players are "recruited" from nearby towns and still live at home. Oops I said the "R" word....Once again....I have nothing against you btex since I do not know where you work.

That is just one reason why TAPPS needs to play TAPPS. I wish all UIL schools would quit scheduling games with them. I know we are not playing TK or Brook Hill next year. There are too many things they can do that we can't. If they want to play us, then they need to follow all of the same rules we have to, and we know that is not going to happen.

Just my opinion and .02 cents...and neither of those will buy you much.

You guys did pretty well against TKG when you played them. I guess those "easy" TAPPS rules didnt help them. Besides I thought the point of playing non district games is to get your team ready for district.

Yes our varsity beat TK on a Thursday night...they then turn around on Friday night and play some of their "varsity" players against our JV...mostly freshmen team and beat us senseless using kids that had played the night before. Is that making them better? Is that not cheating in the eyes of the UIL? If we did that we would be cheating and breaking rules....that is all I am saying. If they are playing other TAPPS schools then use your rules, but if you schedule a UIL school you should have to go by the UIL.

I have no clue about San Marcos Baptist and I hope you have a great year. If you go shopping at the Outlet Mall remember to go to the Under Armour Outlet and send me any XXL polo you get cheap!

We played TK Gorman on a Thursday night....varsity game and they had 5-6 or more play again on Friday night for the JV game. We also play Brook Hill, and I can't remember if they did that last year or not.

BH didnt do that last year. I know cuz my son was a freshman and played both ways for BH. As a matter of fact, he had to play Offensive guard even though he only weighed 120 pounds. He normally played as a WR. And he was facing a kid across the line that weighed twice his weight. That is how lean BH was in that game. But you know what, he had a blast during his short tenure as a lineman.

Our kids play one game a week, not due to any rule but due to safety. In the past they played both nights. And as far as "so-called boarding" 80% of our students are boarding so not sure where you get "so called". Our QB is from San Fransico, FB from Baton Rouge, HB from Oklahoma, TB from Oklahoma, 2 linemen from Saudia Arabia, 1 from New Braunfels, 1 from Mexico City. TE is my son, WR is from Waco.

sounds like you need a bed & breakfast!

I agree with all of those rules. One of the districts that Palestine Westwood was in a few years back had a district policy about not playing in the next game if you got ejected. I am totally fine with that and the foul language. I never said TAPPS was wrong, Lord knows the UIL is NOT right all the time. I just don't like the idea of our kids as freshmen playing against kids that are on varsity. Yes they are preparing to play on Varisty.....but usually it is the next YEAR not the next DAY. I think we can agree to disagree. We have had a great friendly discussion on this unlike many topics that get out of hand. I respect you for that. I wish you good luck on your season, keep us updated.

I was coaching at a TAPPS school a couple of years ago and I saw a kid switch jersey's after a jv game and play in the varsity game that same night. I made the complaint to the Ref's and they did absolutely nothing. So, either it's not a rule, or nobody really cares in TAPPS...