State Semifinals: Longview vs Denton Guyer

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Denton Guyer Wildcats (13-1)  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Guyer in a close one
    • Denton Guyer in a blow out

Well the expected rematch of last season's Semi-Final has come through.

After falling behind 20-0 in just the first 8 minutes of the game against Waxahachie, the Lobos again found a way to pull out the victory....this time in my impressive fashion. The Lobos racked up a 50 to 6 point margin after the 4 minute mark of the 1st quarter against the Indians to coast into the Semi-Final with a 50-26 win. It was Longview's third straight quarterfinal appearance, now 2-1 in those games.

The Lobos and Wildcats met last season which saw Guyer leading most of the way, until a Tyler McCray kickoff return to inside the Guyer 40 yard line put the Lobos in motion and on their way to a 41-30 win over the 'Cats. In that game, Longview quarterback Aaron Johnson threw a school record 4 touchdowns (most of them completely bombs from 50 or more yards).

Longview is making it's 6th appearance ever in a State Semi-Final game (1937, 1947, 1975, 1997, 2008, 2009). The Lobos are 2-3 in the previous 5 games.

Denton Guyer, despite losing to Ryan in district action during the regular season, found a way to pick off Scott Young 5 times on Saturday and escape with a 28-25 victory over the Raiders. The Wildcats continue their best season in school history (though only 4 years old), by advancing to their 2nd straight Semi-Final game. The key for Longview will be to shut down JW Walsh, the Wildcats' quarterback. Longview managed to do so only in the 2nd half against Guyer last season, holding the Guyer offense to just three points the entire second half of play...including none in the 4th.

Longview and Guyer face off at John E Kincaide Stadium at 7:30 PM, Saturday night. The Lobos, after their win against Hachie, improved to 4-0 all-time at Kincaide Stadium.

Some say it might not have to do with it anything...but in the 3 previous night games at Kincaide Stadium...Longview is averaging 49.7 points a night there (50 in two games...49 in the other) while only giving up 22 points. In the day game, Longview only scored 14. I think we know why King wants these games at night.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense has looked really good so far in the post season. I see us winning this game.

I agree. I definitely think the defense should be commended on how well they 1) played under the pressure and 2) made the adjustments when they recognize a problem (well guess the coaches should be the ones gettin credit for that one).

At the start of the season, I thought our defense was better than it was last season...and thus far in the playoffs they're proving right. At this time last season, we had just given up 42 points and the fact that only one team has hit 30 on us this season so far...I'm very proud of.

It's only going to get tougher for the defense from here on out though. Hopefully they can continue to make the big plays when needed and can be counted upon when we need them the most...which we've been able to the past 3 weeks.

Ok...I'll admit it...I'm the one who voted for Guyer.. my boy is a Sr there (baseball player, not football).

At this point, a lot will depend one which team has the better game next week. Guyer is better than they were last year. Stopping Walsh is important, but you'd be foolish to overlook Jaimaine Wilhite, our running back. The offense this year is much more balanced and they seem to like to take control of the game. Defensively, our run defense is tough while our secondary certainly stepped up today. Special teams have been outstanding. Of course, you don't get this deep without being really good at all of those. Overall the team is much more mature than it was last year.

I think our biggest weakness is our tendancy to draw penalties...

Longview is making it's 6th appearance ever in a State Semi-Final game (1937, 1947, 1975, 1997, 2008, 2009). The Lobos are 2-3 in the previous 5 games.

I think we know why King wants these games at night.

Longview is actually 3-2 in the previous 5 State Semi-Final games in school history...not 2-3.

They won in 1937,1997 and 2008. While losing in this round in 1947 and 1975.

Just clarifying misinformation. Get your facts straight. You're slipping.... :rolleyes:

Just exactly WHY do you think Coach King wants these games at night ??

I understand what the obvious answer will be.

They play better later in the day.

But it's MUCH more than meets the eye...imo.

RJ

longview is also a better team this year. they seem to be playing better and better each week! this is the real longview team we have all waited for during these playoffs. great defense and punishing running game! look out! i feel some surprises coming on offense also! just a feeling they have been holding some things back just for this game!

Just exactly WHY do you think Coach King wants these games at night ??

I understand what the obvious answer will be.

They play better later in the day.

But it's MUCH more than meets the eye...imo.

Pretty simple, actually. The team gets to sleep in and doesn't have to worry about being at the field house so early. Does kind of tempt them to stay out a bit too late on Friday night, but what else is new...they'd probably stay out late anyway.

In terms of the game, Guyer is a FANTASTIC football team with a ton of talent. They are going to be the best offensive team we've played yet this postseason in terms of execution and quarterback play, and probably the best we've seen all year. Walsh is a scary guy in that he can both run and throw accurately on the move, and they do a good job of running the ball with the backs. Their offense is very balanced and is tough to stop. They have one of the best (if not THE best) defensive tackles in the state in Taylor Bible and have some big linebackers that can run. Will be the best defensive front four Longview has faced this postseason. At this point, you're playing in the state semis...every team you play is going to be very solid.

If it were the first time we've played them, I'd say they might have an emotional letdown this week after playing such a tough game against their arch-rival last week...but having played them and beaten them last year they'll know what they are up against and will be ready to go.

Ok...I'll admit it...I'm the one who voted for Guyer.. my boy is a Sr there (baseball player, not football).

At this point, a lot will depend one which team has the better game next week. Guyer is better than they were last year. Stopping Walsh is important, but you'd be foolish to overlook Jaimaine Wilhite, our running back. The offense this year is much more balanced and they seem to like to take control of the game. Defensively, our run defense is tough while our secondary certainly stepped up today. Special teams have been outstanding. Of course, you don't get this deep without being really good at all of those. Overall the team is much more mature than it was last year.

I think our biggest weakness is our tendancy to draw penalties...

Thanks for some insight on Guyer! For such a young program, they're rising to the top quickly.

Longview is actually 3-2 in the previous 5 State Semi-Final games in school history...not 2-3.

Just clarifying misinformation. Get your facts straight. You're slipping.... :rolleyes:

Good Lord. What is wrong with me. So many mistakes this season. :banghead: :banghead:

On why he wants the game at night, I think it all has to do with superstition to be honest. Longview has won 52-9 and 50-26 in the playoffs this year while playing at night...but during the day...only won 14-13 and 28-25. The guys get to sleep and not have to worry as much about a curfew. etc. etc.

DasBoot, what was the deal with the fumbles against Ryan (granted I don't believe you lost any..but 6?!?)?

Close game but i'm picking Guyer because of Walsh and the rest of Guyers offense...On Defense i think Bible(ut commit) will slow down the Lobo running game atleast up the gut...Good luck to both teams....

i've seen guyer 3 times this season...their BEST part of their team is the D line...and not just bible. number 48 is dirty (by that i mean very agressive, hard nosed kid). and their middle linebacker 52 is very good also. (anyone from denton able to tell me why he did not start against Ryan? guyer can't throw the ball. longview has seen better offenses. whilhite should be the first option for guyer. he is a ladanian tomlinson type runner...i'd rather chase down walsh, however walsh is very good at the zone read. HOWEVER, Walsh DOES NOT cover the inside point of the ball. he fumbles. he "fumbled" 3 times against Ryan, but all three times he was ruled down...one time i was very very questionable.

to guyer fans...longviews D is bigger and just as fast as denton ryans defense. the offense isn't one demenional like ryan. the ryan coach wants young to get the single season TD record so bad that he had him throwing in the fourth quarter in a game that ryan won 60 something to 21. but back to guyer, they run the ball very well, but their line isn't great. overall, longview should win this game by 17

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but just FYI:

I'm hearing if Longview and Lake Travis both advance and choose a true neutral site, they will likely play the title game in Houston at Reliant Stadium.

If Guyer and Lake Travis win, I'm hearing the likely state final site will be at Floyd Casey in Waco, with the possibility they could also play at Reliant.

If Longview and Pearland Dawson both win, I'm not sure where they would play...possibly Reliant (although Pearland is much closer to Houston than Longview). Unsure of the Guyer/Pearland matchup location.

Cowboys Stadium is unavailable due to the Texas vs North Carolina basketball game.

Great...another late game in Dallas. :thumbdown:

It'll be worth it if another W occurs ;)

Definitely was disappointed though when I found out the location. Was looking forward to seeing Guyer travel to Shreveport.

i watched the first Guyer/Ryan game and was impressed with Guyer...the one thing that I did notice is that they did not have as much speed as I remember on defense...if the Lobos will take away the run like they did against Wax, I like our chances...

gonna have to play disciplined ball...