State Semifinals: Longview vs Denton Guyer

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Denton Guyer Wildcats (13-1)  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Guyer in a close one
    • Denton Guyer in a blow out

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about the rest of yall but when I saw Dentonite on the list I was like FINALLY. Only for my hopes to be dashed. Dentonite I just wanna say on behalf of all the Lobo faithful you really disappoint me! LoL

Sorry guys! I grew up in Tyler and have family in Tyler,Longview and Whitehouse. There is no love lost bewtween Ryan and Guyer. I watch high school football very,very closely. Ryan has a great QB but trust me he can not run and Guyer knew it. They would drop 7-8 people back in coverage all game long. Giving him 8-10 yards of open field. Why he didnt take off running I will never know. Every receiver was double covered and our QB still threw for over 300 yards(5 picks with 3 in our endzone and 1 ran back for a touchdown). If you have a QB that can run and throw then he will have a field day against Guyer. If you run the wildcat formation you will expose the Guyer defense. Bible is a beast but he has been contained before. Just run oppiosite his side. Walsh is a stud on offense but if you put pressure on him he will make mistakes. (He threw two picks out of 12 passes against Ryan). Walsh also puts the ball on the carpet a lot. He gets careless with his ball handling. Guyer had 6 fumbles but kept them all.

Ive got you guys winning 42-21. Just dont turn the ball over because Guyer will capitalize.

Most Dentonites feel this is Longviews game to lose not Guyers game to win.

* Revenge is on their minds from last year and Guyer responds very well on revenge games. Just ask Ryan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQX1fdqpYmM

awesome video made by a young man from lhs of the lobo's season so far...pretty sure it will get the slightest lobo fan pumped...and make you feel like this week is going by entirely too slow lol. hope you guys enjoy it though.

Great video. My son told me about it. Coach King showed it to the team before the game I believe.

If we are fortunate enough to win...championship is at Floyd Casey in Waco at 6pm next Sat...

Git er done Lobos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: Is it Saturday???? :bounce:

Are you being serious? It was a nightmare getting to that stadium last year

If you have a QB that can run and throw then he will have a field day against Guyer.

Well we have the running part down.

I think we all know that Guyer doesn't have anywhere near the speed that Longview does. That was evident in all the long bombs last season, that led to Johnson breaking the school record for touchdown passes in a game (4).

I just watched last year's game against Guyer. Anyone who thinks this will be an easy Longview win is kidding themselves. Guyer does so many things on offense it is hard to prepare for them and they execute so well. Walsh gave us huge fits last year with his ability to find receivers on the run, on the zone read and the option game, something we have not defended well yet in the playoffs. While I don't think their line is quite as big as last year, they still execute well and Walsh is a better player than he was last year. We didn't ever really slow them down last year and ended up having to outscore them. We were fortunate that Johnson was so accurate on his downfield throws because otherwise it would have been a loss.

Defensively I'm not sure they are as good as they were a year ago, but that DT Bible is a difficult one to handle. Our dive plays are going to have a hard time finding room against that front but we may have a speed advantage when we attack the edges. They have a defensive advantage in a way because unlike the teams we have dispatched they played us a year ago and have experienced our scheme and the way we do things.

I expect it to be a great game and I think it may come down to another nailbiter.

I just watched last year's game against Guyer. Anyone who thinks this will be an easy Longview win is kidding themselves. Guyer does so many things on offense it is hard to prepare for them and they execute so well. Walsh gave us huge fits last year with his ability to find receivers on the run, on the zone read and the option game, something we have not defended well yet in the playoffs. While I don't think their line is quite as big as last year, they still execute well and Walsh is a better player than he was last year. We didn't ever really slow them down last year and ended up having to outscore them. We were fortunate that Johnson was so accurate on his downfield throws because otherwise it would have been a loss.

Defensively I'm not sure they are as good as they were a year ago, but that DT Bible is a difficult one to handle. Our dive plays are going to have a hard time finding room against that front but we may have a speed advantage when we attack the edges. They have a defensive advantage in a way because unlike the teams we have dispatched they played us a year ago and have experienced our scheme and the way we do things.

I expect it to be a great game and I think it may come down to another nailbiter.

While I agree it won't be easy what so ever (no game is easy at this point), I truly believe Longview is on the rise heading into this game where as last season they were definitely not playing at their best.

From the 3rd quarter of the Midway game on, last year's team just had a funk about them. More so the defensive but they couldn't stop anyone.

It was just one game but last week's team was definitely the team we had all been waiting for. There was a couple of mistakes, obviously, but McCray has been getting better each week here in the playoffs....and at the start of the seaosn I thought he would have to be one of our best players if not our best if we were going to do anything State Championship wise.

Guyer rarely made a single mistakes when we played them last season, but it looks as if they're bent on making mistakes now. 6 fumbles is absolutely ridiculous (though the more ridiculous part is that they didn't lose a single one of them). But I don't think they're as good as last season's team was, overall. That said, they could definitely still beat us...especially if the Longview of old shows up.

Here is the latest from the Denton RC newspaper.

It appears that they are going to take advantage of our secondary and say their secondary is better than last year. Notice the underdog role being mentioned.

<H3 class=entry-header>Passing game must come alive for Guyer</H3>7:44 PM Wed, Dec 09, 2009 | Permalink

Adam Boedeker email-icon.jpg E-mail email-icon.jpg News tipsIn last year's 41-30 loss to Longview in this same round, then-sophomore quarterback J.W. Walsh had what was then the game of his life -- and still might be, even though it ended in a loss -- when he completed 19 of 28 passes for just shy of 300 yards and two touchdowns. He also had a big goose egg in the interception column. All of that came on the biggest stage possible except for a state title game, Texas Stadium and all.

While the lights won't be quite as bright on Saturday at Kincaide Stadium, Walsh will have to have a similar night to give Guyer, who is a touchdown underdog, a chance to win the game against Longview, because make no mistake, as great as Guyer's rushing attack is, the Wildcats won't be able to win the game throwing the ball just 10 times, which has been the case the past two weeks.

Last year, Walsh had just Luke Russell and Daniel Harkins to throw the ball to with any trust. Now, that is no longer the case. Walsh has Russell, Quentin Gardener, Connor Crane, Daniel Mercer, Cameron Hunter and even tight ends Austin Otto and Dylan Moore, who have worked into the passing game in the postseason. Five receivers have at least 15 catches on the season, and two (Russell and Gardener) have more than 40.

While Russell probably still garners the most trust from Walsh, he trusts them all and isn't afraid to throw to any of them. The Lobos have given up right around 200 yards passing to their past three opponents -- Waco Midway, Carrollton Newman Smith and Waxahachie, and I'd say Guyer's passing attack is every bit as potent as those, if not better.

The key will be Walsh, who had an uncharacteristically bad game last week in the turnover department. He had three interceptions through 13 games, but threw two against Ryan to nearly match his season total. He also had a couple of the SIX fumbles that were recovered by Guyer. I think some of that could have had to do with the emotion surrounding Guyer-Ryan and maybe he was trying too hard. If Walsh can take care of the ball and have a similar night to last year, the Wildcats will have a good shot.

One edge that I will go more into tomorrow is the fact that Guyer's secondary is light years beyond last year's. They've had two signature games to back that up this year against Lake Dallas and last week's game against Ryan. Of course, they had a stinker in the first meeting with Ryan, but the reason Longview won the game last year was pretty much solely due to the Lobos' big-play offense, which wasn't something they were accustomed to. The Lobos' QB Aaron Johnson had a career day on minimal attempts, he just "big-played" the Guyer secondary one too many times. Stay tuned...

Here is another.

<H3 class=entry-header>Scouting Longview</H3>8:00 PM Tue, Dec 08, 2009 | Permalink

Adam Boedeker email-icon.jpg E-mail email-icon.jpg News tipsI'm going out to Guyer tomorrow to have some ####-chat with John Walsh and several players, but here's what I know about Longview, the team that ended Guyer's season last year in this very round with a 41-30 win.

The Lobos, much like Guyer, return all of their skill players from last year. And that's a scary proposition. QB Aaron Johnson, who almost single-handily beat Guyer last year returns, as does RB Tyler McCray and WR Carey Fortson.

But some things have changed for the Lobos. Johnson is not the every-down quarterback. The Lobos like to split him out wide at times and get him in open space on little bubble screens where he can really do some damage.

And as great as Johnson was last year under center against Guyer, it was BY FAR his best game of his career, and still is. That had something to do with some coverage issues in the Guyer secondary and linebacker corps.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Guyer's secondary is head and shoulders above last year's group, which featured many of the same faces.

The Lobos like to play smashmouth football. So does Guyer. Guyer's offensive line has been on a roll lately, and that will have to continue on Saturday as they need to open up spacious holes for J.W. Walsh and Jaimaine Wilhite. On the defensive side, Guyer's defense must continue to be opportunistic as it has been all season, no more than on Saturday against Ryan and Scotty Young. And they better be ready to see a heavy dose of the run for four quarters. Last year, the Wildcats held McCray in check until about the final eight minutes, when Longview pulled away on a couple of big McCray runs and a ginormous Johnson run on a key third-down conversion.

Longview has made a habit out of making things hairy early on in games this year, and pulling away late. That didn't happen in wins against Waco Midway, which was won on a stopped two-point conversion, and Carrollton Newman Smith, which were both was last-minute a late victory by a field goal. But many other games have gotten out of hand in Longview's favor in the fourth quarter.

If the Wildcats can force three turnovers and take care of the ball, I like their chances to win this game. More to come later this week...

Here is another.

<H3 class=entry-header>Scouting Longview</H3>8:00 PM Tue, Dec 08, 2009 | Permalink

Adam Boedeker email-icon.jpg E-mail email-icon.jpg News tipsI'm going out to Guyer tomorrow to have some ####-chat with John Walsh and several players, but here's what I know about Longview, the team that ended Guyer's season last year in this very round with a 41-30 win.

The Lobos, much like Guyer, return all of their skill players from last year. And that's a scary proposition. QB Aaron Johnson, who almost single-handily beat Guyer last year returns, as does RB Tyler McCray and WR Carey Fortson.

But some things have changed for the Lobos. Johnson is not the every-down quarterback. The Lobos like to split him out wide at times and get him in open space on little bubble screens where he can really do some damage.

And as great as Johnson was last year under center against Guyer, it was BY FAR his best game of his career, and still is. That had something to do with some coverage issues in the Guyer secondary and linebacker corps.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that Guyer's secondary is head and shoulders above last year's group, which featured many of the same faces.

The Lobos like to play smashmouth football. So does Guyer. Guyer's offensive line has been on a roll lately, and that will have to continue on Saturday as they need to open up spacious holes for J.W. Walsh and Jaimaine Wilhite. On the defensive side, Guyer's defense must continue to be opportunistic as it has been all season, no more than on Saturday against Ryan and Scotty Young. And they better be ready to see a heavy dose of the run for four quarters. Last year, the Wildcats held McCray in check until about the final eight minutes, when Longview pulled away on a couple of big McCray runs and a ginormous Johnson run on a key third-down conversion.

Longview has made a habit out of making things hairy early on in games this year, and pulling away late. That didn't happen in wins against Waco Midway, which was won on a stopped two-point conversion, and Carrollton Newman Smith, which were both was last-minute a late victory by a field goal. But many other games have gotten out of hand in Longview's favor in the fourth quarter.

If the Wildcats can force three turnovers and take care of the ball, I like their chances to win this game. More to come later this week...

they are in for a big surprise!!! longview is playing much better than it was last year at same time!! let them think all they want!. oh, as long as we force 3 turnovers....hahaha....how many other gifts do they want? seems to me like they are begging!

While Russell probably still garners the most trust from Walsh, he trusts them all and isn't afraid to throw to any of them. The Lobos have given up right around 200 yards passing to their past three opponents -- Waco Midway, Carrollton Newman Smith and Waxahachie, and I'd say Guyer's passing attack is every bit as potent as those, if not better.

I'm pretty sure Newman Smith had a better passing game than Guyer will. I'm 100% positive that the Newman Smith offense was the most diverse offense we will play all season.

But many other games have gotten out of hand in Longview's favor in the fourth quarter.

Many other games? Pretty much 3/4ths of our schedule was already over before midway through the 3rd quarter...much less in the 4th quarter. Allen (where we scored most of our points in the 3rd) and Texas High are the only games that weren't over that Longview won by the end of the 3rd quarter. Longview was up 24-0 on Lee after 3, 48-0 up on Natchitoches Central, 42-0 up on Sulphur Springs, 34-0 up on Mount Pleasant, 40-22 on Marshall, 38-0 on Hallsville, 42-7 on Pine Tree, and 45-9 on Whitehouse. The only game Longview has even gone crazy scoring in the 4th quarter this season was against Waxahachie.

Maybe I read that wrong, but it's like that writer thinks we've only won our games in the 4th quarter this season. Anyways, I loved his last comment...."take care of the ball." It seems to be like they haven't hung onto the football all season, so what would change now? It's going to be a great game, I just think Longview will have to make a lot of mistakes (aka how the first 8 minutes vs Hachie went) to lose it.

I'm 100% positive that the Newman Smith offense was the most diverse offense we will play all season.

I actually disagree. What Guyer does well is formation you to death. You line up one guy wrong on some weird formation and they'll bust a big play on you. They run a lot of different stuff and are very diverse. Rewatch some of the game from last year and you'll see what I mean. I do think Newman Smith had better athletes on the outside but I think Walsh is a better passer than Smith's quarterback. A lot of their big plays on the year have been due to busted gaps and blown coverages from defenses not lining up correctly.

I like the fact that he makes mention of us using Aaron as a wideout and I think (hope) that could be a big plus for us. He kind of gives me the impression that we are just sticking Aaron out there and hoping he can break a tackle on a swing pass from some Joe Schmo quarterback. My point is that maybe there's a chance that the Guyer staff/ defense is so preoccupied by AJ when he's split out, that they lose sight of the fact that the guy throwing the ball is a VERY accurate passer and has two other 6' + targets on the field as well. Or better yet, they have put so much emphasis on locating AJ and covering him that McCray or Hunt get lost in the shuffle. That has got to be a nightmare scenario to be facing, and I think the coahing staff has done a great job of using that formation as a weopon and a potential threat so far.