State Semifinals: Longview vs Denton Guyer

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (13-1) vs Denton Guyer Wildcats (13-1)  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Guyer in a close one
    • Denton Guyer in a blow out

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest surfsup
Was I not to respond to your original pms' to me? And I didn't say that. Finally had to block your stalkin' butt. Next......

Get a life, liar. I am beginning to doubt that you even have a child.

I'm just glad Dentonite is on you guys' side. I don't think he's really a Tyler guy or he'd hate you guys just like I do, a Marshallite. He is not a true East Texan or he'd be rooting for anyone to beat Longview. Most of you football savey guys realize he or she (maybe) is an idiot. "7 or 8 guys in coverage", please. The coverage was 80% man to man. They doubled the slot guy a lot, but that's it. "Every receiver was double-covered". What do you say to that? We all know that's impossible.

She also wants to change your offense to the Wildcat, like you need to do that to beat us. I've watched two of your games and haven't seen you run the "Wildcat". Give me a break! What a dumb football blogger.

JW doesn't normally turn the ball over. I don't know what he was doing Saturday. He knows if he does that we won't win. I did see you guys turn it over several times against Allen. That would be helpful.

SnarlyWildcat you know nothing about me so keep your trap shut on personal attacks!! ei idiot,dumb football blogger. Where are you REALLY from?

I think you underachieved by losing to Lake Travis, but that's just my opinion.

So, did yall underachieve last year against us? Or was that just blown assignments in the secondary? Or were your linebacker's on the sideline? When are running game got going they made the Guyer defenders stand in amazement. Maybe they forgot how to tackle before the game who knows. Walsh is a good player know doubt but, against Longview each hit adds up ask Newman Smith's QB. Wilhite probally cringed after viewing the hachie film. Lobos redefine the word physical!

When are people going to understand that Longview's win over Allen means absolutely nothing at this point in the season? Guyer's win over Newman Smith is the same way...means nothing. Week Zero and Week One games aren't a true test of either team's ability. Some teams get hot mid-year like Newman Smith. Other teams gradually fade. There's just no way that any of those early games mean anything this week.

Sulphur Springs rolled over and died in the first quarter when we played them. They didn't want any and were ready to go home. They apparently hit their stride the next week and trucked fairly deep into the playoffs.

At this point of the year EVERYONE you play is VERY good and there are NO gimmies. No one can say one team is tougher or faster or better, because we really don't know yet. Each team has to show up ready to play. Guyer is a fantastic team that is very well coached. Longview is the same way. No one is favored in this one because there's no telling what might happen. All you can tell the guys on the field to do is play hard every single second of every single down and don't let up. If they can do that, they have a much better shot at winning the day. If they don't, they'll get beat. Pretty simple.

I have seen guyer this year and they are impressive...the key to this game will be our running game...can we get it going early????

If we get rolling early, we wear them out and we win....make no mistake, they are disciplined and athletic...I fully expect this game to be decided in the fourth if we don't come to play

Longview is not faster than Newman-Smith, about the same and your front is not more physical than they are, about the same. Guyer has already faced them and had a 31-7 lead at half time before having to hang on for the win. It's going to be a dog fight, or should I say cat fight?

By the way, #52 was held out for disciplinary reasons, not a neck stinger. That showed a lot of intestinal fortitude by the Guyer coaching staff.

Be real pal.

The Guyer coaching staff and players are not preparing for this game expecting to face a team " about as fast" as Smith. When reviewing the film and doing the game planning, do you honestly think Coach Walsh's assesment of Longview is going to be "They are kind of like Newman-Smith speed-wise and they resemble Smith with their physical d-line play"? :icon_confused:

Once again let me explain the difference between the "metroplex definition" of speed, and the Lobo definition of speed.:

Newman Smith as well as Waxahachie; as well as Guyer have what I refer to as "metroplex speed". Meaning you will see 4-5 very fast, athletic kids at the skill positions. Usually these 4-5 speedsters are the fastest guys on the track team, and often times play on both sides of the ball. ( I was very impressed by Wax's #4 and #9 btw...

When these finesse football teams line up against Longview's speed across the board, they are usually, NOT ALWAYS, outmatched by a faster, more physical, gang tackling unit that swarms to the ball. You see, the difference to me is that our D-ends are going to be able to get to the outside on the sweep play and turn it in before your lead blocker can establish ground. Our stud D- tackle will be in the backfield disrupting the dive play or even making the open field tackle on the running back slipping out on a screen pass. Our linebackers are able to drop back into coverage and take away your tight end. If we pick up a fumble, our safety is not diving on the ball...but scooping and trying to score. If we pick off a pass, our midget corners are going the other way with it. If your defensive end collapses on the wrong dive fake, our QB may scamper 60 yards. You could find yourself jock-less in the open field after one of #7's patented crossover moves. Or maybe it's another game where our backup running back goes over 100 yards. That fullback dive play we will show you 12 times is liable to bust wide open on the 13th. What are the odds of your secondary being eaten alive by Carey Fortson again? SPEED ALL OVER THE FIELD AT EVERY POSITION IS WHAT LONGVIEW IS ALL ABOUT!! No doubt Guyer is a great team and we will be fortunate to come out on top, but don't kid yourself by dismissing the Lobos as "just as fast" as ANYONE.

Guest surfsup

I am normally not superstitious but last week in school the kids were doing a state research project. One of them YouTubed Tennessee, and of course the University of Tennessee's marching band came up playing Rocky Top. It is very catchy and was stuck in my head for the rest of the week. After Hachie scored their third TD, I hummed it as I slumped back into my seat. As they say the rest is history. My question to you guys, is should I or should I not put it into the playlist I listen to before every game?

Longview is not faster than Newman-Smith, about the same and your front is not more physical than they are, about the same. Guyer has already faced them and had a 31-7 lead at half time before having to hang on for the win. It's going to be a dog fight, or should I say cat fight?

By the way, #52 was held out for disciplinary reasons, not a neck stinger. That showed a lot of intestinal fortitude by the Guyer coaching staff.

If you do not think Longview is faster than N. Smith you have not seen them play or are a horrible judge of football ability. Smith was also terrible up front, if they had any linemen they would still be playing.

Have seen both of these teams play in person and Longview's speed will give Guyer trouble just as guyers size on OL will give LV problems. Unless Guyer's two OLB's come back this week from pretty serious injury (#21 & #22 are the most athletic defenders they have) both teams will have trouble stopping the other.

Either way, I think the game is decided by less than 7.

If you do not think Longview is faster than N. Smith you have not seen them play or are a horrible judge of football ability. Smith was also terrible up front, if they had any linemen they would still be playing.

Have seen both of these teams play in person and Longview's speed will give Guyer trouble just as guyers size on OL will give LV problems. Unless Guyer's two OLB's come back this week from pretty serious injury (#21 & #22 are the most athletic defenders they have) both teams will have trouble stopping the other.

Does anyone know what TV station is broadcasting the Gilmer and Longview game? Is it live are will there be a delay?

Thank you

Newman Smith has an awesome defensive line, with D1 talent, dude. They have 11 future college players on that team. What are you talking about. They have a lot of talent and were a VERY dangerous team. Longview beat them by 3 points so what makes you think it's such a slap in the face to compare their speed and ability.

Newman Smith has an awesome defensive line, with D1 talent, dude. They have 11 future college players on that team. What are you talking about. They have a lot of talent and were a VERY dangerous team. Longview beat them by 3 points so what makes you think it's such a slap in the face to compare their speed and ability.

Yep, they have 11 future college players on that team watching Longview on High School Spotlight every, Friday Night and Saturday Morning, too. You can watch us next week, along with Newman Smith on the same channel and on the same couch.

They cannot broadcast the games on TV "live" because of UIL rules.

The Denton TV station is starting their Guyer broadcast in the Dallas area starting at 9pm via tape delay...if the Gilmer game is going to be on TV Saturday I would think it would also be starting around that time.

That being said, I haven't seen anything confirming the Longview game being on TV in East Texas on any form. Have not seen anything confirming Gilmer either, but I haven't really looked that hard.

They cannot broadcast the games on TV "live" because of UIL rules.

The Denton TV station is starting their Guyer broadcast in the Dallas area starting at 9pm via tape delay...if the Gilmer game is going to be on TV Saturday I would think it would also be starting around that time.

That's only on Fridays that it can't be live.

But yes, Denton will have it on there locally...but haven't heard a single thing about it being televised in Longview at all. Doubt it will be.

I guess that means we have no shot. It's been a great season. Good luck to you guys against Dawson or Lake Travis. We'll just have to try again next year, probably in 5A, even though the numbers came back lower than the cut off for last reorg. I wish we had the speed and the size to match up with you guys, but I guess that's just how it goes. Longview by 30!!!

Lake Travis wants another shot at Longview...at full strength. They hated to see a great player like McCray go down last year and look forward to competition at its highest level. They will have their hands full tomorrow and are focused on creating that opportunity.

Be real pal.

The Guyer coaching staff and players are not preparing for this game expecting to face a team " about as fast" as Smith. When reviewing the film and doing the game planning, do you honestly think Coach Walsh's assesment of Longview is going to be "They are kind of like Newman-Smith speed-wise and they resemble Smith with their physical d-line play"? :icon_confused:

Once again let me explain the difference between the "metroplex definition" of speed, and the Lobo definition of speed.:

Newman Smith as well as Waxahachie; as well as Guyer have what I refer to as "metroplex speed". Meaning you will see 4-5 very fast, athletic kids at the skill positions. Usually these 4-5 speedsters are the fastest guys on the track team, and often times play on both sides of the ball. ( I was very impressed by Wax's #4 and #9 btw...

When these finesse football teams line up against Longview's speed across the board, they are usually, NOT ALWAYS, outmatched by a faster, more physical, gang tackling unit that swarms to the ball. You see, the difference to me is that our D-ends are going to be able to get to the outside on the sweep play and turn it in before your lead blocker can establish ground. Our stud D- tackle will be in the backfield disrupting the dive play or even making the open field tackle on the running back slipping out on a screen pass. Our linebackers are able to drop back into coverage and take away your tight end. If we pick up a fumble, our safety is not diving on the ball...but scooping and trying to score. If we pick off a pass, our midget corners are going the other way with it. If your defensive end collapses on the wrong dive fake, our QB may scamper 60 yards. You could find yourself jock-less in the open field after one of #7's patented crossover moves. Or maybe it's another game where our backup running back goes over 100 yards. That fullback dive play we will show you 12 times is liable to bust wide open on the 13th. What are the odds of your secondary being eaten alive by Carey Fortson again? SPEED ALL OVER THE FIELD AT EVERY POSITION IS WHAT LONGVIEW IS ALL ABOUT!! No doubt Guyer is a great team and we will be fortunate to come out on top, but don't kid yourself by dismissing the Lobos as "just as fast" as ANYONE.

All you ever hear about is all the size, speed and strength LV has..."You've never seen anything like it before..." blah, blah, blah. LV said all that before the title game last year vs. LT. It was 48-9 when LT put its 2nd D in.

Your offense better score every time you're in the red zone or you lose. You can pile up 400 yards running between the 20s and never score. I hope Johnson can throw the ball this week...Guyer is tough in the red zone...ask Scotty.

LV by 10

All you ever hear about is all the size, speed and strength LV has..."You've never seen anything like it before..." blah, blah, blah. LV said all that before the title game last year vs. LT. It was 48-9 when LT put its 2nd D in.

LT didn't play against a full-strength Longview team last year, even before McCray and Fortson got hurt. Several of the defensive front seven were playing hurt and Longview's left guard ended up going both ways playing defensive tackle for much of that game.

If we are fortunate enough to get through Guyer I just hope they don't beat us up as much as they did last year. It's going to be a battle...they are a fantastic football team and are good at doing what they do.