Team of the Decade

bordertown

first of all there is a difference between program and team...

Team refers to a specific year, because the roster changes every year.

Program would refer to a longer period of time.

It's extremely hard to argue that the 2004 Trojans were not the most dominant team of the decade. Especially the way they embarrassed ou in the Title game.

best program I think would have to take in effect record, then record in bowl games, then conference championships, then National titles.

So if you weight it 1 pt for a win, 2 pts for a bowl win, 3 pts for a conference championship, and 4 pts for a national title, how would it turn out?

(I'm not gonna do it, since I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I figure i'd give you something else to argue about)

ONly knock i have on that is bowl games are not the same. You cant go 8-2 or something like that against Cotton bowl and maybe 2 BCS games but and be better than someone who goes 5-5 in 6 BCS games.

Also i think that the only strong push that Texas makes above the others is that they have the most wins. They are certainly good at winning games but despite what people are going to say i think the only 2 conference championship means that they dont win the big games. Im not talking about BCS or Championship games...I mean the games winning those must win games to get you in the conference championship. I dont see how you could only PLAY in three conference title games this decade and be better than a team that has represented your division in the conference game 7 times "OU." This being said OU has the most wins against the most common opponents. With that in mind the way that OU has dominated the South as far as representation, its hard for me to say Texas is the best team of the decade when they are not even the best team in their division.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I hate ou more than Texas (I know I'm an odd Aggie) but I think your right... Texas has had 3 seasons where they were the best team in the big XII, OU has owned them for more than half of this decade, and when you put it like that, its really hard to make a case for the horns. For Texas fans to say they should be the team of the decade, it implies that they could have beaten the teams that beat ou in the NC's (notice thats plural) and according to the BCS that is a false statement, (live by the sword and die by the sword)

(not to mention there is no way the 04 Texas team beats the 04 USC team, not after that whipping they put on ou)

All your points are valid, but the outcomes of the games are what has gotten Stoops the sarcastic label of "Big Game Bob." Losses to West Virginia, Boise St., LSU (OU was heavily favored) and the butt kicking they took from USC doesn't look very good on the resume.

I agree about the USC fiasco. As you Horn fans very well know, when big Mo gets to rolling downhill, things can get ugly in a hurry. No rational college football fan thinks that USC was that much better than OU that night (55-19), just like nobody really thinks that OU was that much better than Texas when they walloped them 65-13 or 63-14. MO get going, it's hard to stop. In our case against USC, Mark Bradley tried to field a punt with the score tied, fumbled it away to SC. I had deja vu again this year when I saw (? sorry, can't remember his name) do the exact same thing at the 15 yard line.

About the bowl games since 2003, however, saying OU was heavily favored:

2003 OU vs LSU. OU was 11-1 and #1, LSU was 12-1 & #2... and playing what amounted to a home game. We lost by a TD, and missed on 4th down from the LSU 12 yard line to tie. NOT heavily favored, probably should have been an underddog, being on LSU's home turf.

2004 OU vs USC. OU 12-0 #2 vs USC 12-0 #1 Already discussed the MO factor.

2005 OU vs Oregon OU 8-4, N/R vs Ore 10-2, #6 OU wins the upset in the Rose Bowl 17-14

2006 OU vs Boise St. OU 11-2, #7 vs BSU 12-0 #9. OU slight favorite, huge upset for the ages for the Broncs

2007 OU vs W. Virg. OU 11-2, #3 vs WV 10-2, #11. WV had gotten knocked out of the NC game by their narrow loss to Pitt the last week of the season; until then they were a NC contender, otherwise they would have been more highly ranked. The Mountaineers played well, OU did not. Upsets happen.

2008 OU vs Florida OU 12-1 #2 vs UF 13-0 #1 Per the rankings, the Gators SHOULD have won. They did. Hardly a choke job by OU, as we certainly had our chances to win.

Looking at the above body of work, and considering that in half of those games we were underdogs, I don't really think that we have anything to hang our heads about.

As has been said many times, you got to GET there before you can win or lose, and when you are playing with the big boys, defeats happen.

* All records shown were before the bowl game.

^ I hate ou more than Texas (I know I'm an odd Aggie) but I think your right... Texas has had 3 seasons where they were the best team in the big XII, OU has owned them for more than half of this decade, and when you put it like that, its really hard to make a case for the horns. For Texas fans to say they should be the team of the decade, it implies that they could have beaten the teams that beat ou in the NC's (notice thats plural) and according to the BCS that is a false statement, (live by the sword and die by the sword)

(not to mention there is no way the 04 Texas team beats the 04 USC team, not after that whipping they put on ou)

When OU ran off the 3 straight conference titles what was their record against Texas? 1-2!!!! Texas had no problem winning the big game to get there, it was overlooking a team and staying focused through the end. Texas has won the big game 'BCS' games they have been in so saying they don't win the big games is stupid. Tending to slip was the problem.

I agree about the USC fiasco. As you Horn fans very well know, when big Mo gets to rolling downhill, things can get ugly in a hurry. No rational college football fan thinks that USC was that much better than OU that night (55-19), just like nobody really thinks that OU was that much better than Texas when they walloped them 65-13 or 63-14. MO get going, it's hard to stop. In our case against USC, Mark Bradley tried to field a punt with the score tied, fumbled it away to SC. I had deja vu again this year when I saw (? sorry, can't remember his name) do the exact same thing at the 15 yard line.

About the bowl games since 2003, however, saying OU was heavily favored:

2003 OU vs LSU. OU was 11-1 and #1, LSU was 12-1 & #2... and playing what amounted to a home game. We lost by a TD, and missed on 4th down from the LSU 12 yard line to tie. NOT heavily favored, probably should have been an underddog, being on LSU's home turf.

2004 OU vs USC. OU 12-0 #2 vs USC 12-0 #1 Already discussed the MO factor.

2005 OU vs Oregon OU 8-4, N/R vs Ore 10-2, #6 OU wins the upset in the Rose Bowl 17-14

2006 OU vs Boise St. OU 11-2, #7 vs BSU 12-0 #9. OU slight favorite, huge upset for the ages for the Broncs

2007 OU vs W. Virg. OU 11-2, #3 vs WV 10-2, #11. WV had gotten knocked out of the NC game by their narrow loss to Pitt the last week of the season; until then they were a NC contender, otherwise they would have been more highly ranked. The Mountaineers played well, OU did not. Upsets happen.

2008 OU vs Florida OU 12-1 #2 vs UF 13-0 #1 Per the rankings, the Gators SHOULD have won. They did. Hardly a choke job by OU, as we certainly had our chances to win.

Looking at the above body of work, and considering that in half of those games we were underdogs, I don't really think that we have anything to hang our heads about.

As has been said many times, you got to GET there before you can win or lose, and when you are playing with the big boys, defeats happen.

* All records shown were before the bowl game.

Question....If OU was only such a slight favorite over Boise, why was it such a huge upset for the ages?...as you put it.

2008....sorry but OU was ranked #1 in the final BCS standings. OU was favored. Choke job ...yes. Like you said you had your chances and your coaching staff chose to throw the ball on first and goal for an interception when you had two tough RBs.

When OU ran off the 3 straight conference titles what was their record against Texas? 1-2!!!! Texas had no problem winning the big game to get there, it was overlooking a team and staying focused through the end. Texas has won the big game 'BCS' games they have been in so saying they don't win the big games is stupid. Tending to slip was the problem.

IMO when it was late in the year and all you have to do is beat teams like Kansas st and A&M, you have to stay prepared and win. Those games where you can slip are big games i think. Those games when you have to lock up your shot are big games. Now i agree with you that Texas has won BCS games...But they havent been to near as many as OU. I would bet had they played in as many as OU their record might not be as impressive.

To be considered the best team in the decade it you have to win your division more than just 2 times IMO...Regardless of what your bowl record is. I think the fact that Texas has the most wins but fewest conference titles of all the mentioned teams is a HUGE stat. It shows me that mack cant finish...Or "chokes" in regular season games. At least Big game Bob chokes in "big games." That is what you longhorn fans call him right...Big game bob. lol

I kinda like Mediocre-Choke Mack :rofl:

IMO when it was late in the year and all you have to do is beat teams like Kansas st and A&M, you have to stay prepared and win. Those games where you can slip are big games i think. Those games when you have to lock up your shot are big games. Now i agree with you that Texas has won BCS games...But they havent been to near as many as OU. I would bet had they played in as many as OU their record might not be as impressive.

To be considered the best team in the decade it you have to win your division more than just 2 times IMO...Regardless of what your bowl record is. I think the fact that Texas has the most wins but fewest conference titles of all the mentioned teams is a HUGE stat. It shows me that mack cant finish...Or "chokes" in regular season games. At least Big game Bob chokes in "big games." That is what you longhorn fans call him right...Big game bob. lol

I kinda like Mediocre-Choke Mack :rofl:

I was just going to leave it at "mediocre teams" but since you named them thanks!!!

like aggie fans don't know A&M has been mediocre..... we may be big time homers, but we're not as ignorant as to say our team is something they weren't, or say the should get recognition they don't deserve.

man i tell yea rough its hard to keep from teeing off on these guys sometimes. Im not gonna lie, since longhorn fans are abundant on here its fun to stir the pot

Question....If OU was only such a slight favorite over Boise, why was it such a huge upset for the ages?...as you put it.

2008....sorry but OU was ranked #1 in the final BCS standings. OU was favored. Choke job ...yes. Like you said you had your chances and your coaching staff chose to throw the ball on first and goal for an interception when you had two tough RBs.

First, I said "upset for the ages" because that is how the media ran with it, due to the dramatic ending of the game. I think that it is highly likely that Boise St. could have beaten ANY of the "big boys" in college football that night, they played that well. Did the game sting? You bet! Do I think that they would have beaten UT even worse? Absolutely!

The reason for the odds being in OU's favor was based mostly on the perception of Boise as being a "no-name" team. To their credit, they are slowly changing that.

About throwing for the INT in the Florida game: If time had not been running out in the half, I am sure that a different call might have been made; running plays are much more time-consuming.

For now I would have to rank these programs in this order for the decade:

1. USC (has dominated their conference pretty much every year and is mostly always in a BCS bowl)

2. Oklahoma (Is up their in all of the categories)

3. Texas (Behind Oklahoma because 6>2)

4. Ohio State (same as USC but with only 1 national title)

5. LSU (has had few good years which have resulted in 2 nc, but has not been as consistent as top 4)

6. Florida (really not a factor until 2006)

(I tried to be as unbiased as possible)

For now I would have to rank these programs in this order for the decade:

1. USC (has dominated their conference pretty much every year and is mostly always in a BCS bowl)

2. Oklahoma (Is up their in all of the categories)

3. Texas (Behind Oklahoma because 6>2)

4. Ohio State (same as USC but with only 1 national title)

5. LSU (has had few good years which have resulted in 2 nc, but has not been as consistent as top 4)

6. Florida (really not a factor until 2006)

(I tried to be as unbiased as possible)

I'd say that is unbiased - you could have switched 2 and 3 though....couldn't you? :whome:

Vahalla, you can swap 3 to 1, put 1 at 2 and put 2 at 3 and you'd have it right.

Come on! 2 conference championships!

If they can even win their conference how can they be the team of the decade?

They cannot be in front of a teams that have won over 50% of their conferences titles this decade.

ok..so and I know it is slightly differenc but not that different

Who would u pick as a team of the decade in the NFL

one that went 4-0 in SB for the decade but ONLY won their conference those 4 times and losing record agianst a team that went to SB 6 times but was 1-5 and had a winning record agianst the 4-0 team( saying they are in same conference and meet in conference title game)

ok..so and I know it is slightly differenc but not that different

Who would u pick as a team of the decade in the NFL

one that went 4-0 in SB for the decade but ONLY won their conference those 4 times and losing record agianst a team that went to SB 6 times but was 1-5 and had a winning record agianst the 4-0 team( saying they are in same conference and meet in conference title game)

Can you say that a little more clear please...

Can you say that a little more clear please...

Team A is 4-0 in Super Bowls, but those are the only years they win their conference..they lose 5 times to Team B in the conference title game meaning they are 1-5 agianst them

Team B goes to the super bowl 6 times but is only 1-5 in them BUT they beat Team A 5 out of 6 times in the conference game..

So which of those teams are the team of the decade?

Team A is 4-0 in Super Bowls, but those are the only years they win their conference..they lose 5 times to Team B in the conference title game meaning they are 1-5 agianst them

Team B goes to the super bowl 6 times but is only 1-5 in them BUT they beat Team A 5 out of 6 times in the conference game..

So which of those teams are the team of the decade?

the team that has more Superbowls, but that is a whole different monster.

As of today Oklahoma and Texas both have 1 National Championship this decade. Oklahoma has more conference titles, more BCS bowl appearances, and more National title appearances.

So as of today, they are the better program this decade.

I'd have to say Boise State now that I've thought about it. They are like Miami (Fla) of the 80's. They've come out of nowhere to be talked about, regardless of what respect that they get. They've done nothing but win their Conference 7 times out of the last 10 years, but they are only 4-4 in Bowl Games. If they didn't beat ranked teams, then I wouldn't say anything, but they have.

I'd vote for Boise State who at the start of 2000, nobody really knew they existed. Their success has helped other teams to be recognized. Who had thought of Rutgers or Louisville in the last 30 or more years in football ? Boise State is the tough scrappy team, that the big bullies won't mess with to save face.

Go TCU in the Fiesta.