What is East Texas?

noonan

If your city does not touch another state on its eastern border, then you are in West Texas.

I kinda like the informal 'pine tree' explanation, especially for those not versed in area geography.

Mustangmania has a pretty good Tom-Tom explaination, though.

The "east of I-45" definition is too broad. (Plus, I-45 ends in Dallas, so there has to be a different dividing line north of that.) Also, this area includes the eastern portions of the Dallas and Houston metroplexes. Most East Texans I know would not claim those places. And it's hard to imagine someone from Mesquite or Galveston saying they live in East Texas.

The Texasbob or Wikipedia maps come pretty close to what I consider to be East Texas. But I have to admit that it should more appropriately be called Northeast Texas.

This is very subjective to the quality and success of schools near a definite ET school in athletic competition year to year. I have seen Caddo Mills be accepted as an ET team on this message board.

I am going to get blasted for this but oh well...

This topic usually comes up at least once a year if not more and usually it happens around now and within the first couple of posts the reason it comes up is very clear...who has the best football, who is still in it.

Well, I love reading Smoaky.com forums, and this site is pro ET, and ET has every reason to be proud of their programs, but sometimes it is really over the top, the beating of the chest gets really old.

Me, I don't care one way or the other, I like HS football period, don't care where in the state you are from, as a matter of fact i typically root for the underdog just because it is nice to see a smaller school with not as great of tradiditon do something great, this year it Lucas Lovejoy. They had a decent run and I would have liked to seen them win it all, however AW vs Gilmer will be a much better Championship game than LL vs Gilmer would have been.