2A Div 1 top ten

Tiger1995

JJ,

According to Smoaky, Daingerfield has 6 of the top "elite" players in East Texas in their 2011 class. Not just in 2A, but in any classification.

Tell me another 2A school in the state that has that many college prospects coming back.

Oh, by the way, I was looking for all those "elite" players from Arp. Didn't find any. HMMMMM.

Rice, Anahuac, and Grandview want no part of the Daingerfield Tigers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank I am open minded on more than you think so please tell me why you think Daingerfield should be the number 1 team. Lay it on the line. I know you are working on that question already because you knew I would ask so let hear it and who knows you could change my mind. All BS aside on that one!

I am not sure Daingerfield deserves to be ranked #1. But, the more I look at it, the more I believe they would be a legitimate #1. Here are the reasons.

Reason #1.

They are the two-time defending state champions. They haven't lost to a 2A team since the 2007 playoff loss to Tatum. In fact, only two 2A teams have scored more than 14 points on the Tigers in the last two years. Daingerfield has outscored 2A opponents 1096-175 the last two years. That is an average of 46-7 over 24 games. I know this is all in the past, but what I am saying is: the Tigers have been dominant, and dominance breeds more dominance. The kids expect to win. It's an intangible that most teams just don't have.

Reason #2.

The returning core players are better than anything any other 2A team will bring back. 6 all-state players. A quarterback who has started 32 games, and won 30. No quarterback in 2A will be more experienced than Tyler Boyd. A linebacker who is the best player in 2A. Two offensive tackles that will play at the next level. 3 returning offensive linemen. A shutdown corner whose father played in the nfl and who, himself, will play division I football. No other 2A team returns this caliber of talent.

Reason #3.

Daingerfield's linebacking corps. Over the last 2 years, Daingerfield has had 5 all-state linebackers and two Defensive players of the year from the linebacking corps. In 2011, the linebacking corps will again be one of the best in the state. In 2009, everyone wondered how Daingerfield would replace linebackers Carl Moore (defensive POY) and Julius Hurndon (first team all-state). Well, they replaced them with three all-state players (Steve Edmond, Josh Evans and Billy Walker). Billy Walker was a senior that had to wait his turn because he couldn't break a starting lineup that featured Moore, Hurndon and Josh Evans his junior year. When Walker finally got his chance to start as a senior, all he did was compile ridiculous stats and garner an all-state nod. This year, Davonte Turner will be "that guy." Turner did not start this year, but he might have started on any other 2A team in the state. At 6'0" and nearly 200 pounds, Turner is built like Carl Moore. Turner played meaningful minutes all year, racking up 5 sacks in a reserve role. But, when Josh Evans went down in the New Diana playoff game, Turner took over. Turner played a huge role in the next two playoff victories (56-7 and 64-14 wins). Turner finally gets his chance to start in 2011, and he will be just another in a long line of stud linebackers in Daingerfield.

Reason #4.

There is always talent in the pipeline. The biggest concern this year will be how to replace the skilled players like KoKo Smith and Chris Jones. Well, there are guys that are ready to step in. A couple years ago, Daingerfield lost their quarterback, their tailback and their top receiver, they replaced them with Boyd, Smith and Jones. That worked out ok. This year, Roc Lafayette will get the first crack at replacing Smith in the backfield. Roc has been on varsity since his sophomore year, and has plenty of skill. At receiver, Daingerfield will have plenty of guys to choose from, including speedster Jeremy Godbolt and youngster Shaquille Douglas. There are also two Mims boys coming up the ranks; Ruben (David's little brother) and Edwin, Jr. (his cousin). These guys are just as talented as the other Mims boys that have come through Daingerfield. That is good news for Tiger fans and bad news for everybody else.

Reason #5.

The system. The spread is a great system for Daingerfield. It utilizes speed and gets multiple players involved. One thing Daingerfield always has is speed and plenty of skilled players. Also, the system has now been fully implemented. By that I mean, the kids that are seniors now started running the system in Junior High. It's no longer a new system. It's something they have grown up doing. The Junior High coach, Michael Mason, is one of the best in the business. Coach Bowman could have mentioned a hundred different people when he was interviewed by Texas Football Magazine last year, yet the guy that he chose to give credit to was his Jr. High football coach, Coach Mason. Coach Bowman know a good coach when he sees one. Coach Mason is a huge asset to the Tiger Football Family.

OK, JJ. You asked for some reasons I believe Daingerfield should be ranked #1. There you go. Those are just a few of the reasons. I don't know if Daingerfield deserves to be #1, but I think they are as legit as any other team. You ask any 2A coach in the state what team he would least like to face with everything on the line, and I think they would overwhelmingly say Daingerfield. So, I say they should be #1 until another 2A team proves they are better. Just my humble opinion. And, when I do my preseason rankings for theoldcoach.com, I will probably have Daingerfield ranked #1. Call me a homer, but I don't see a reason not to.

Where you gonna put Tatum at Franky?

Not sure yet. We haven't even sent out the dope sheets to the coaches yet. I will wait until I see what Coach Evans thinks about his team. But, I have to believe they will be in the top three or four. The runningbacks and the returners on defense are probably enough to put them that high. I got to see what the Eagles are going to plug the holes in the Oline with.

What does the OLine look like to you?

Not sure yet. We haven't even sent out the dope sheets to the coaches yet. I will wait until I see what Coach Evans thinks about his team. But, I have to believe they will be in the top three or four. The runningbacks and the returners on defense are probably enough to put them that high. I got to see what the Eagles are going to plug the holes in the Oline with.

What does the OLine look like to you?

From the two JV teams there is more than enough to plug void that the srs left.. My "guesses" are....

The line will be huge.. average 280-290ish... Got some good meat coming up

or

Move some players around.. Last years all district DE played line up until last year.. The other DE as well.. Depends on how well new system comes together..

Oh I can tell you what coach Evans thinks lol.. But I dont know lol..

Frank

I agree with you on most of what you wrote.

I also think they will no matter what be in the final top 4. I think you give some good reasons and points but I still am not sure it grants being number 1 from start. Maybe after a game or 2 if they continue to win. If they came in number 1 and lost the first game it would be tough on the kids I think. But if they came in number 3 or 4 or even 2 they can go up. Moving up in polls is always a better motivaor than going down. Of corse yall threw that out of the window last year when you got moved down in the AP. But in the end you still lost a ton of talent. Talent like that doesn't come along very often for the avg school. So I think if they are ranked number 1 from start I would be surprised with the amount talented players and the amount of none D1 talent you lost combined.

Your 2 key guys this season will be Boyd and Edmonds. I expect to see Edmonds play a major role on offense and will probably take a WR role but I could be wrong.

Overall that was really good info and without a doubt we know you will be good. But how good and how much will the talent be in Div 1 has yet to be determined. Div 1 will be closer to 3A talent than to Div 2 talent so I think the compition will be a factor.

Thanks for the write up and overall I still think for now, and only for now, I would not put DF number 1 maybe 2 but not 1. I really think the Rice team is going to a strong team. The more I think about Anahuac at number 2 the more I think they might be a 4 or 5 team (only because of the lack of playoff experience)

I think we all could work together and put a legit top ten out with all the info we have. I would like to see Eagleborn and you both put a top ten on here then we could compare and come up with what we collectively thought would be legit. It can't hurt right?

Please list from 1-10 how you would rank these teams with what you know now. if not that is ok!

I am not sure Daingerfield deserves to be ranked #1. But, the more I look at it, the more I believe they would be a legitimate #1. Here are the reasons.

Reason #4.

There is always talent in the pipeline. The biggest concern this year will be how to replace the skilled players like KoKo Smith and Chris Jones. Well, there are guys that are ready to step in. ................................................................................

................................ That is good news for Tiger fans and bad news for everybody else.

Very true, that pipeline comes from Hughes Springs, Mt Pleasant and many other surrounding schools.

Class 2A Div 1 Top Ten: By jjspeed8

#1 Rice ** 29 returning letterman from a 11-2 team, including top RB/QB and defensive players ***

#2 Anahuac

#3 Grandview

#4 Daingerfield

#5 Tatum

#6 Crane

#7 Newboston

#8 Crockett

#9 Blanco

#10 Bushland

I am sure there will be disputes over this list but all these teams are showing the signs of being top contenders. Feel free to list as you see them ranking or add and remove your own picks. My goal was to give some of you an idea of who was bringing good teams to the field next year.

I will take...

Daingerfield, Tatum, Rice and Newton as my top four right now in 2A-D1. Gonna look at some of the other teams and see where they fall. But, those look like the top teams right now in my opinion.

• 3 months later...
Frank correct me if I am wrong but you have only 7 starters returning. 2 on defense! Anyone who thinks a 2A team with only 2 defensive players reuturning and 5 on offense are going to be unbeatable is just a homer. If you ask me you are overrated all ready and will be in big trouble from week 0. Now that my friend makes sinse. But to give a team the luxury of being ranked number 1 out of the gate with those numbers makes no sinse at all and will be nothing more than making up for missing it last year. If you guys finish in the top 5 this year you should be greatful. You guys have good intentions but are homerized!

JJ. Are you giving Daingerfield enough respect?

JJ. Are you giving Daingerfield enough respect?

Frank ranked # 4 in the state is being really respectful, Don't you think. If they were a Div2 school they would be # 1 or # 2 and that is respect as well. I have nothing but respect for Daingerfield and nothing else. How can I not, they are a great example of what Friday night lights is all about. But I want you to think about something you told me last year. Remember the talk we had about being in the spot light and having everyone gunning for you about Arp being ranked number 1. You guys just rolled thru 2A two straight years and the closest you came to losing was winning by 18 I believe. This will be the third year you guys will have been in the top of 2A so the target is on you. Personally we have the best chance of just about any 2A team you will play to beat you. The good thing is for you is if yall beat us you know you got a shot at a third. So think about how much respect it takes to give a team a very high ranking judging only by the main 4 you return and the 26 you lost. Those 4 in my mind got you ranked in the top 5 and I also even moved them up to number 2 not to long ago out of respect for what they have done. Do you remember that frank? I still think Rice will be the team to beat they have 26 returning I believe it was without looking back and will have 10/10 coming back from a very good team.

You can't always go by a JV or 9th grade's record, as far as if they will have any players to help the varsity the next year. Sometimes you have only a few good athletes on a JV or 9th grade team and the rest of the team is really bad. Those few good athletes may play the positions that the varsity needs help on the next year. Granted, if someone watches a group of guys and sees the team play, then they will have better knowledge of what to expect on varsity from them.

Also you often have 9th and 10th graders that have growth spurts, gain a ton of strenght and/or speed in the 8 or so months from one football season to the next.

Especially in 1A and 2A, a school can take 3 or 4 athletes from the senior class, 3 or 4 athletes from the junior class, 3 or 4 from the soph. class, and maybe a freshman or 2 and make a good to great team, even if thru junior high and JV they didn't individually as a grade have good win/loss records.

I do imagine that Daingerfield will have a few from last year's JV and/or 9th grade to help them this year.

IMO....Daingerfield is #1 until someone unseats them which could be a while.

I'll take a top 5 vote for Tatum.....we'll make some noise in 2A........Dont be suprised if you see a Tatum/D-field State title game at Rose Stadium this year, lol, ya never know. We're gonna be pretty tough.....time will tell how tough, though.

IMO....Daingerfield is #1 until someone unseats them which could be a while.

I'll take a top 5 vote for Tatum.....we'll make some noise in 2A........Dont be suprised if you see a Tatum/D-field State title game at Rose Stadium this year, lol, ya never know. We're gonna be pretty tough.....time will tell how tough, though.

The game would be in Mansfield. They have predetemined the state championship sites this year.

The game would be in Mansfield. They have predetemined the state championship sites this year.

Yea Eagle8 learn to READ... haha....

Me and Franky already decided if both teams make it we are gonna car pool.... lol

Yea Eagle8 learn to READ... haha....

Me and Franky already decided if both teams make it we are gonna car pool.... lol

It was more of a joke, lol.....I knew it was already set. However.....if we were to meet up in the title game.....thats long travels....I'll get in on that car pool.....or just strap me to the top or something.

Thanks for support but we only bring back one on the line...

Good news is both leading rushers are back and gonna be in a new scheme perhaps...

IMO Tatums D is gonna be what makes this team win... Return 9 on that side of the ball..

GOOD LUCK EGALES.