17-3A Baseball

Eagleborn

bullard beat chill 14 7 it was ugly but awin just the same.tanner baily and taft rose pitched for bullard.chill pitched by commitee.bullard is 4-0 in district,go to springhill tuesday.

Bullard(4-0) vs Spring Hill(4-0)....tenative starters to see Rumbelow for Bullard and Zeilinger(6-0, ~3.0ERA) next Tuesday night. With these two on the mound it could be a great-great pitchers duel. Both are rated in Top 25 by 3ABaseball.com.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bullard(4-0) vs Spring Hill(4-0)....tenative starters to see Rumbelow for Bullard and Zeilinger(6-0, ~3.0ERA) next Tuesday night. With these two on the mound it could be a great-great pitchers duel. Both are rated in Top 25 by 3ABaseball.com.

it should be a good game,but the unfortunate thing is someone has to lose :( .but whatever the outcome it should still be a good game.

Funny how the results and schedule have worked out to this point, but not surprising.

Tuesday's games

Bullard 4-0 vs SH 4-0

Tatum 2-2 vs Gilmer 2-2

Gladewater 0-4 vs CH 0-4

bullard will have the edge with rumbelow on the mound, more consistant BUT s.hill tough at home.will be close game..

tatum at gilmer to close to call, gota go with tatum in this one by a run

gh20 vs ch...il take ch in extra's

bullard will have the edge with rumbelow on the mound, more consistant BUT s.hill tough at home.will be close game..

tatum at gilmer to close to call, gota go with tatum in this one by a run

gh20 vs ch...il take ch in extra's

Zeilinger gave up 2 hits vs Gilmer last week, and Rumbelow will be tough; if both pitchers are on this could be a real gem to watch.

for bullard to hold spring hill to no runs and score 14,i think was a pretty good feat.don't know what happend to pitchers arm but hope it is nothing serious.good luck to both teams in the second round of district :)

So final score was 14-0 Bullard?

Of course.... Longview Spring Hill... lol

Congrats on the win.. Fooled me..

Me also....never imagined going into 5th down 2-0 things would get to where the ended, but, things snowballed. couple errors, passed/wild pitches, and Bullard timely hitting pushed it to 7-0 by 6th; Brown came out hurt and it really got ugly. Hats off to Rumbelow, when he flirted with trouble he really came on. That's basebal.

Made it to Spring Hill to watch the game and Rumbelow pitched very well as expected, but I was surprised that the SH team didn't try to manufacture a few runs when they had the chance. Also, for a close game (2-0 in the 5th) was surprised and thought it seemed a little premature for the coach to pull the SH starting pitcher. He seemed to still have good stuff by the way he was moving the ball around and changing speeds with still some zip on his fastball ... if the defense got the out on the ground ball then he would have been at 2 outs with a man on second. Just seemed like the game changed at that point.

Made it to Spring Hill to watch the game and Rumbelow pitched very well as expected, but I was surprised that the SH team didn't try to manufacture a few runs when they had the chance. Also, for a close game (2-0 in the 5th) was surprised and thought it seemed a little premature for the coach to pull the SH starting pitcher. He seemed to still have good stuff by the way he was moving the ball around and changing speeds with still some zip on his fastball ... if the defense got the out on the ground ball then he would have been at 2 outs with a man on second. Just seemed like the game changed at that point.

well it did change at that point but he seemed to be struggling. he had walked 2 batters and loaded the bases up. had he been left in there he may have worked himself out of it but i also felt it was the right move at the time.

also, what do you mean when you say you were surprised they didn't try and manufacture some runs. in the 1st inning they had a runner on 3rd with no outs. do you gamble and try a squeeze? i wouldn't. you have 3 chances to get the run in. the 1st 2 just needed to hit the ball somewhere so the run can score but it didn't happen. one inning there was a runner on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and we were unable to put the ball in play to score a run. i also remember 1 inning where we had a runner on 1st and 2nd with no outs as was unable to lay a bunt down. there were opportunities to score runs but the coaches can't hit the ball for them. anyway i don't know what more could have been done without trying a squeeze and the odds were against you with the way Rumbelow was throwing. he should get alot of the credit for SH not manufacturing runs

Pride - You are right, the opportunities were there as you point out ... a squeeze in the first inning would have been risky and not worth it with no outs - I agree because the game had yet to play out a bit and you take the percentages with 3 outs to work with the rest of the inning.

Don't you think as the game progressed it seemed the risk/reward factor would have turned with trailing and runs are to come by. Yes - Rumbelow was throwing well as I've seen him do many times, but thought a squeeze with the man on 3 and 2 with one out would have been a good time to take a chance like that ... with my thought being that the probable worst case scenario would be an out at home with still a runner probably at 3rd and 1st and that's not taking into account human error under pressure. And I think in HS the stats are around 60-70% success rate with a good bunter and the in-field back.

I think I also remember an attempted bunt and it was on a third strike - was that a better choice statistically than the squeeze play?

Your right the coaches can't win the game - the players have to perform to win, but coaches can help by putting their players in a position to win and/or can lose a game for you by making poor decisions.

We also can play the "what if" game and play conservative baseball statistics and wait indefinitely for the other team to make a mistake, but sometimes you have to try and make your own magic to generate a win and that is a coaches responsibility.

Also, I would expect Rumbelow to pitch well (D1 signee) so wouldn't you want to try and shake things up a bit when given the opportunity. Mistakes can happen when players get a little rattled (example you pointed out was the walks from your SH pitcher).

All I was saying is that it was a little surprising to me.

Just strategizing out loud ...

Pride - You are right, the opportunities were there as you point out ... a squeeze in the first inning would have been risky and not worth it with no outs - I agree because the game had yet to play out a bit and you take the percentages with 3 outs to work with the rest of the inning.

Don't you think as the game progressed it seemed the risk/reward factor would have turned with trailing and runs are to come by. Yes - Rumbelow was throwing well as I've seen him do many times, but thought a squeeze with the man on 3 and 2 with one out would have been a good time to take a chance like that ... with my thought being that the probable worst case scenario would be an out at home with still a runner probably at 3rd and 1st and that's not taking into account human error under pressure. And I think in HS the stats are around 60-70% success rate with a good bunter and the in-field back.

I think I also remember an attempted bunt and it was on a third strike - was that a better choice statistically than the squeeze play?

Your right the coaches can't win the game - the players have to perform to win, but coaches can help by putting their players in a position to win and/or can lose a game for you by making poor decisions.

We also can play the "what if" game and play conservative baseball statistics and wait indefinitely for the other team to make a mistake, but sometimes you have to try and make your own magic to generate a win and that is a coaches responsibility.

Also, I would expect Rumbelow to pitch well (D1 signee) so wouldn't you want to try and shake things up a bit when given the opportunity. Mistakes can happen when players get a little rattled (example you pointed out was the walks from your SH pitcher).

All I was saying is that it was a little surprising to me.

Just strategizing out loud ...

anytime you lose you can beat it to death saying what if we had done this or done that. had we scored 2 or 3 runs earlier in the game when the opportunities were there would the game have turned out differently other than us scoring a few runs? maybe or maybe not. would Z have not got tired or in trouble in the 5th inning? who knows. i don't always agree with what a coach does but that's human nature. not to many people think alike. i don't think there's anything wrong with respectfully disagreeing. i know at some point everyone has but i HOPE i learned my lesson a long time ago not to criticize a coaches decision making on a public forum. yes i have done it and shouldn't have. in the game against Bullard i'm still with our coach on the decisions he made not to gamble with a 1-0 game. he had hitters at the plate who are notorius for putting the bat on the ball and they didn't but like i said earlier i give Rumbelow alot of credit for that. i just think you try and keep it a 1 run game and in the last inning or two then you hope to get a base runner and try something then if needed. we never had that chance because things began to snow ball in the 5th defensively. you mentioned the bunt on the 3rd strike. i may be dead wrong but it almost looked like to me he was avoiding an inside pitch when the ball hit his bat and not necessarily trying to bunt but it appeared that way. like i said i may be wrong though.

anyway i do see your point but it's just my opinion that you don't gamble early in the game and you try and keep it a 1 run game until the 6th or 7th and we never had that opportunity.

After Round 1:

Bullard 5-0

Spring Hill 4-1

Gilmer 3-2

Tatum 2-3

Gladewater 1-4

Chapel Hill 0-5

Friday: Bullard @Gilmer

Tatum @ Gladewater

Chapel Hill @ Spring Hill

I assume the lil' Bennett kid (6' something haha) will pitch vs C.Hill. Did very well vs Tatum last week and past 3 outings. Word is Brown has elbow strain or sprain and is out until further notice or couple weeks, something, glad Bennett has been getting some "seasoning"..round 2 starts tomorrow night for everyone.

im lookin for c-hill to do somethin today. they are down to only a couple good pitchers...having a rough time over there with kids playin. they dont have alot of players now and didn't to begin with. good luck to both teams. lets go dogs!!