What makes it a sport?

Wildcat_20

Great pic... the kid that plays SS for me won the calf scramble a few years ago at the Houston County Show and got some pretty good scholarship money.

It was sooooooo funny. This particular child isn't afraid of anything...except water mocassins (sp?) wrapped around greens in the garden... LOL!

It had been raining at the Gladewater Rodeo... somehow he got talked into doing this from his ag teacher...and it was a mess out in the arena... one of the professional steer guys was there... forgot who... anyhoos... oldest went down there, literally tackled the calf, put the halter on it, and because it was so wet, the halter wouldn't stay on... he had his WAY before anybody else's did... so since he's as patient as his mom, he just grabs the sucker by the neck and starts walking with it... gets on the other side of the line, still trying to tighten up the halter, and about that time, some girl comes in one... goodness sakes alive that child was so IRRITATED....LOL!

He came walking back up in the stands, looking exactly like you see him in that picture... thankfully, someone close by handed him a towel... I made him ride in the back of my truck home... he was just FILTHY! Even his wallet had mud in it... LOL!

:notworthy:

I'm beginning to think the game of Risk is a sport at our house.... for some reason, all my men folk here, just get up and scream and holler and jump around ... when I take over their countries... LOL! Personally, I don't think they're very good losers...

:rofl: "The Ukraine is weak" ----sorry everything goes back to Seinfeld

I'm not saying that steer wrestling is easy by any means. I'm just saying racing dirt bikes professionally is more of a sport than professional steer wrestling. What advances have been made in SW? That's the beauty of the sport... it is basically the same as it has been since it started. On the other hand, dirt bike racing is pushing the limits higher and higher. Old video footage when ESPN first came on cable television would show bikers riding over slalom hills and jumps that were not that impressive. Today it is not uncommon for bike riders to hit jumps at speeds that carry them over the next two jumps. If they don't, they will not be in the race. They are going farther and higher than ever before. A lot of force on the knees, inner thighs, hamstrings and torso.

Again, not saying SW is easy... if it was easy, everybody would do it. I just think dirk bike racing is tougher on the muscles.

I watched Junior Seau get his but whupped trying to Rodeo - he couldn't even handle the Clown job!

I raced a go-cart that went 60 mph+....after a three 20 minute heat races, I was wore out.

What, the grand prix race cars... do they still have those up around Dallas?

We were just talking about taking the boys up there, haven't got to go since they got their driver's license....I was informed the only reason I beat hubby is because he weighs more than me...LOL! Excuses, excuses, excuses....

What, the grand prix race cars... do they still have those up around Dallas?

We were just talking about taking the boys up there, haven't got to go since they got their driver's license....I was informed the only reason I beat hubby is because he weighs more than me...LOL! Excuses, excuses, excuses....

No, actually, there is a man in Tulsa Oklahoma. Hans Blickner. Former Formula 1 driver and now owns a track there. There are Truck races, go-cart races, stock car races. He has some carts that he will rent out. You and your friends can race. None of the "one at a time" Grand Prix stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
I agree with you... although some of those guys that do that motorcross stuff have to be in excellent shape with all the falls and stupid mess they do...LOL

But seriously, someone who plays chess, poker, or pool... give me a break....

OK, I'll chime in on this: I agreed with you until you mentioned pool... chess and poker are both what has earlier been qualified as "mind" sports, but requiring no physical ability other than (sometimes) the physical stamina to endure long sessions at the table.

But pool should not be lumped into this category, as it requires physical ability, talent, and the dedication required to perfect such talents.

And "pool", of course, can refer to any of a number of games falling within the category of "table" games, such as Caroms (billiards), Snooker, and a multitude of games played on a pool table, as opposed to a snooker table.

Any of you who have ever picked up a cue and played pool or snooker realizes that it requires a great deal of skill and ability to compete at the highest level, such as shown here.

Now, those who would say that bronc riding is "more" of a sport than, say, football or golf... well, it all depends on your point of view, I guess.

Anytime that you have a competition between two people, two teams, a man and an animal, and a degree of physical dexterity/skill is involved, it's a sport.

I have a tendency to not regard auto-racing as much of a sport as others, but that's just me.... Does it require nerve, stamina and skill? Yes, but not perhaps as much in the way of motor skills (pun unintended) as other sports. JMHO....

But it doesn't HAVE to involve head-to-head competitions to be a sport, it can be an individual competing against the clock and established records, such as happens when a swimmer in the Olympics competes.

My vote is that, NO, cards, chess, etc., do not qualify as "sports".

Competitions, yes, but not sports...