ZERO WEEK!

abe

Brookhill will venture into the 3A arena wk 0 against Lake Worth at the Brookhill Classic on Aug. 28th. Lake Worth went (9-4) last yr with a (6-0) district record & lost in 2nd rd to Argyle. BH (12-2) lost in state game last yr but returns a team that only had 4 seniors. Don't know what LW has returning but should be an interesting match up with the differences in enrollment sizes LW 700 kids & BH 200 kids. BH will play 3A pittsburg a State semi-finalists two weeks later. BH should know more about where they stack up in east texas after these two games.

Wow, that's an impressive early season schedule for Brookhill.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brookhill will venture into the 3A arena wk 0 against Lake Worth at the Brookhill Classic on Aug. 28th. Lake Worth went (9-4) last yr with a (6-0) district record & lost in 2nd rd to Argyle. BH (12-2) lost in state game last yr but returns a team that only had 4 seniors. Don't know what LW has returning but should be an interesting match up with the differences in enrollment sizes LW 700 kids & BH 200 kids. BH will play 3A pittsburg a State semi-finalists two weeks later. BH should know more about where they stack up in east texas after these two games.

BH is definitely shaping into a private powerhouse.

I will be catching the Thursday night opening game of the annual East Texas Football Kickoff Classic at Tyler's Trinity Mother Frances / Rose Stadium between the Atlanta Rabbits and the Gilmer Buckeyes.

The Buckeyes will win....... :thumbsup:

Not so sure ATL had young players last year. With the JV players moving up they will have a good line this year.

I will be catching the Thursday night opening game of the annual East Texas Football Kickoff Classic at Tyler's Trinity Mother Frances / Rose Stadium between the Atlanta Rabbits and the Gilmer Buckeyes.

The Buckeyes will win....... :thumbsup:

Be careful the Rabbits are going to be sneaky good this year. Last time these two met in an actual game Atlanta had their way with the Buckeyes (2003 playoffs). I'm not going to say that Atlanta wins this thing, but I'm willing to bet that it's a very good and very close game. Coach Melton (current Atl AD/head coach) was the DC back when these two met in '03 and he knows the Buckeyes! He has also revamped the program with lots of discipline, hard work, and hard nose coaching like it used to be so I've heard. The program has lacked this and the players that wanted to be a part of that type program the last two years. Good luck to both teams throughout this coming year!

Not so sure ATL had young players last year. With the JV players moving up they will have a good line this year.

I think Atlanta will be much improved and Gilmer will be down slightly, but I still see the Buckeyes coming out on top.....

I think Atlanta will be much improved and Gilmer will be down slightly, but I still see the Buckeyes coming out on top.....

That plus the formula of the hinker hex will be just enough to give the Bucks the W..

West Rusk vs Redwater on Thursday of 0 week at Gilmer.

The score from basketball was lke 83-33 West Rusk won. I really hope the football game isn't a blowout like that.

Redwater played a couple of pretty good teams last year and didn't get blownout. I expect a good game that could go either way.

Be careful the Rabbits are going to be sneaky good this year. Last time these two met in an actual game Atlanta had their way with the Buckeyes (2003 playoffs). I'm not going to say that Atlanta wins this thing, but I'm willing to bet that it's a very good and very close game. Coach Melton (current Atl AD/head coach) was the DC back when these two met in '03 and he knows the Buckeyes! He has also revamped the program with lots of discipline, hard work, and hard nose coaching like it used to be so I've heard. The program has lacked this and the players that wanted to be a part of that type program the last two years. Good luck to both teams throughout this coming year!

I'm not dissing the Rabbits. I know they have the potential to cause problems. I remember that playoff game in '03, too. Since that game, though, the Buckeyes have beaten the Rabbits in '06 (49-12) and in '07 (42-14), not to mention they handled them very well in scrimmages the last 2 years. Like I said, I look for the Rabbits to be much improved and the Buckeyes to be down SLIGHTLY due to youth, but I still see the Buckeyes coming out on top. Maybe Coach Melton can turn the Rabbit program back around and I'm betting he will, but the Buckeyes are STILL the Buckeyes and will have a huge advantage in familiarity with their system. What kind of offense will Coach Melton be implementing?

I'm not dissing the Rabbits. I know they have the potential to cause problems. I remember that playoff game in '03, too. Since that game, though, the Buckeyes have beaten the Rabbits in '06 (49-12) and in '07 (42-14), not to mention they handled them very well in scrimmages the last 2 years. Like I said, I look for the Rabbits to be much improved and the Buckeyes to be down SLIGHTLY due to youth, but I still see the Buckeyes coming out on top. Maybe Coach Melton can turn the Rabbit program back around and I'm betting he will, but the Buckeyes are STILL the Buckeyes and will have a huge advantage in familiarity with their system. What kind of offense will Coach Melton be implementing?

The past two years Coach Melton has them in a mix of the spread and the I/Offset-I. The big focus for the first two years of Coach Melton's captainship have been on the spread, but I believe they are going back to the way things used to be done when ATL ran the ball much more. They have loads of skill kids and an O-line that can defenitely move some people around this year. I think the biggest plus for ATL is going to be that most of the kids returning played a lot last year on the varsity squad. Things are buzzing over there so I hear.

I wasn't aware of the '06 and '07 meetings between the Rabbs and Bucs. My error there blackflag79. Should've done my research before I opened my mouth. I was out of state for those couple of years at college, so I was a little out of touch with my stats there.

I wasn't aware of the '06 and '07 meetings between the Rabbs and Bucs. My error there blackflag79. Should've done my research before I opened my mouth. I was out of state for those couple of years at college, so I was a little out of touch with my stats there.

:thumbsup: No problem. Good luck to the Rabbits this year................AFTER the Buckeyes, that is... :flowers: Rabbit fans should be excited.

Hughes Springs will travel to Clarksville. Can't wait till the start of the season! Im itchin'

If you like sitting on the top row, take you a saw or some heavy clippers to cut down the tree limbs in your way.........lol

The past two years Coach Melton has them in a mix of the spread and the I/Offset-I. The big focus for the first two years of Coach Melton's captainship have been on the spread, but I believe they are going back to the way things used to be done when ATL ran the ball much more. They have loads of skill kids and an O-line that can defenitely move some people around this year. I think the biggest plus for ATL is going to be that most of the kids returning played a lot last year on the varsity squad. Things are buzzing over there so I hear.

3 yards & a cloud of dust doesn't do much good against the Bucs...accept for Liberty Hill in '07. Gilmer will give up some points while the spread will rack up a bunch...40+ point spread is not uncommon.

3 yards & a cloud of dust doesn't do much good against the Bucs...accept for Liberty Hill in '07. Gilmer will give up some points while the spread will rack up a bunch...40+ point spread is not uncommon.

I agree, but Gilmer avg something like 54 pts per game, while giving up 17. Most of those game were over by halftime, and backups started playing late 3rd and entire 4th quarters. ALOT of underclassmen got playing time in the playoffs last year against some really good teams, so folks thinking Gilmer lost too many players to win this year will be shocked. Nobody runs the spread better than Gilmer, and these teams that are installing new offenses this year, won't have enough experience yet to make a difference. To beat Gilmer, you have to play a pretty much flawless game, and hope they make some mistakes. Otherwise, you'll be down 21-0 before you know it, and have to completly change your game plan. Your offense will have to be more geared for the pass, because when your down in the 3rd by 4 tds, running the ball won't help you. It took Gilmer 4 years to install their offense, Daingerfield fans were really frustrated with the spread, until the Tigers started running it to perfection. It takes time, and the right guys. Thats why the Bucks run it in the 7th grade, they know exactly who the QB will be by the time he's in high school and can step into that roll without missing a beat.

The best contact I had for keeping track of the Rabbs was rabbfan on this site. Have not seen any posts for long time.

Atlanta is always loaded with speed. If I heard right they have won their district track meet like 28-30 years in a row.

If Atlanta can get the kids interested in football the talent is there. They have not had size to speak of since that '03 season. '04 was just terrible and I chuckle when I think about the AP rating Atlanta #5 in 3A in post season poll of '04 having come off the Div II state title. Well over 20 seniors graduated from that '03 team. I mean this was the '03 team!

Atlanta had a skilled QB last season. I wish he was back. Without knowing details I gather the Rabbs have new outlook as result of talent coming up. The Rabbs won't be a match for Gilmer this time around I don't believe.

You are correct Gilmer will come out on top. ATL changes systems every year. We did not have the kids to play the spread. We do however have the kids to run the ball. They will be better this year. Talent coming up? They are already up there from last year. ATL lost the track meet this year kids are not interested anymore. When you run Freshmen over upper classmen they lose interest. A 14 year old is no match for an 18 year old. But thats ATL for you.

You are correct Gilmer will come out on top. ATL changes systems every year. We did not have the kids to play the spread. We do however have the kids to run the ball. They will be better this year. Talent coming up? They are already up there from last year. ATL lost the track meet this year kids are not interested anymore. When you run Freshmen over upper classmen they lose interest. A 14 year old is no match for an 18 year old. But thats ATL for you.

YOU ARE RIGHT

you're right we do have the kids to run the ball and we'll surprise a lot of people this year. quit complaining about the young kids and the upperclassmen. to lose something you have to first have it. the upperclassmen never had interest in winning and never knew how to do so, and the other kids ran at the track meet because they were better! are you saying that just because someones a senior i should run him over a better freshmen. gimme a break!!!! i doesn't take rocket science to figure out who's faster or better in track does it?!?!?! atl lost the track meet because LE was simply loaded in track this year. look at what they did at the state meet for crying out loud! also, getting the young ones all this experience this past year is paying big dividends for the program now. some of those younger kids like the freshmen webster and last years sophomore group are men among boys now. not to mention they were miles better than a lot of the seniors this year. i've seen some of these young ones around town and they have changed a lot over the off-season work-outs! much bigger and stronger! atlanta will be a force this year i promise. the first step will be the fans getting behind them though. you're either with them or against them ftballatl99. this program has turned around in a big way this off-season based on what i hear and see. i'm looking forward to august!

Friday August 27, 2010 7:30 - Marshall Maverick Stadium - 5A Longview Lobos vs. 4A Marshall Mavericks - The Official 100th Meeting between the 2 rival schools - Ranked as one of the top 15 Rivalries in the WORLD - The Lobos have a 9 game winning streak going against the Mavs and approximately a 10/15 game lead in the series - Longview will be reloading this year with the loss of a ton of seniors while Marshall will be young on the offensive side as well but returning several key starters on defense - Should be...no, WILL BE a standing room only crowd on hand to witness what promises to be an excellent start to another exciting season of high school football in east Texas - MY PREDICTION: This will be a back and forth game close until the very end as the Maverick "Red Brick Wall" defense will step up and force a turnover to seal the deal and reverse recent fortunes to snap the win streak of the "Mean Green Machine" (Actually think that's the nickname of their band but it sounds good anyway).

Friday August 27, 2010 7:30 - Marshall Maverick Stadium - 5A Longview Lobos vs. 4A Marshall Mavericks - The Official 100th Meeting between the 2 rival schools - Ranked as one of the top 15 Rivalries in the WORLD - The Lobos have a 9 game winning streak going against the Mavs and approximately a 10/15 game lead in the series - Longview will be reloading this year with the loss of a ton of seniors while Marshall will be young on the offensive side as well but returning several key starters on defense - Should be...no, WILL BE a standing room only crowd on hand to witness what promises to be an excellent start to another exciting season of high school football in east Texas - MY PREDICTION: This will be a back and forth game close until the very end as the Maverick "Red Brick Wall" defense will step up and force a turnover to seal the deal and reverse recent fortunes to snap the win streak of the "Mean Green Machine".

longview returns half its starters and loses 45 seniors every year! so i guess you could say they reload every year. 2 years ago they lost 21 starters from year before and went to state finals. this team this year might be even more talented than last. i would look out for a hungry group of lobos this year. the qb might be best athelete in east texas> ladarrian roberson 6'4' 215 lbs. just sayin.....