Daingerfield Linebackers

KingKong2

Maybe he's been in jail for 11 years. Lol

David King was scary explosive kind of like Ray Lewis. 

Didn't King quit or get kicked off the team one time and his teammates voted to not let him back, or am I thinking about someone else at Daingerfield?

Also didn't his son play on the Gilmer line a few years ago?

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2010 at 9:39 AM, OGT said:

Wasn't he a safety?

He was a safety in college and NFL...Super athletic as well, I heard he won the Southland Conference in the 100 and 200...bout 6'3" 235-240...at SFA they called him Hitmore...my homeboy big cuz said he got hit by him when he was a freshman at Daingerfield and he was seeing stars and tweety birds...and he was a huge running back himself!!!

Daingerfield has many Linebacker legends,  some of which weren't mentioned. This basically boils down to who you personally seen or heard stories about. We as Tiger fans should find a way to get stats. David King was a beast no doubt and ranks real high, but the Tigers have had many that may have outperformed him (Anthony Fisher) sticks out in my mind.. Same size really, but ran 4.3 in the 40. Kinda like our track teams. Corey Richardson was prolly the fastest 100 meter runner I seen, but I'm still not sure he ever beat Darrin Lafayette 10.4 time at State. Tiger mile relays have been great as well, but has any team beat the Tiger 3:16.5 record with Charles Lafayette, Davis Mims, Ashley Lewis and Steve Stutsman? 🤔

Edited by KrookedWolfe
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 7:42 PM, BigBoy44 said:

Not even close, King is legendary.

I played with David...he was a man as soon as he got to campus...his freshmen year when I was a junior he was bout 6'1 1/2" 191 lbs... he was probably the fastest middle linebacker in the country that year!!! 

The year before he came when I was a sophomore Joe Bob Thompson was a senior at Daingerfield...so I seen them both up close and personal...got to feel them both!!! 

They were very similar though David was faster and ah lil' stronger at the point of attack!!! Both were a dominant force in the middle!!!

What I observed is the defensive coordinator would put Joe Bob on the move a lot...they would always do this stunt we called X stunt with the nose guard(Antaun Askew(which was another dominant force)) and the strong side middle linebacker(Joe Bob). 

As Joe Bob traveled along his stunt/blitz path he was a master at diagnosing the offenses intention and adjusted his path to take him to the ball carrier with force behind him securely tackling the lower body with his 225 -230lb frame

On the other hand coach played a lot of base with me and David...just relying on us to make the correct read and cutting running backs off at the point of attack and delivering mean spirited blows

If I were starting a professional team full of Daingerfield alumni(which I am) at this age David King would be my 1st defensive selection!!!

• Like 3

David King was mean.  He wanted the RBs scared of him and succeeded many times in my opinion.  Edmonds was smarter, just as aggressive, but lacked that meanness. I can't really say which was better, but I'll give King the edge, cause I enjoyed watching him make RBs eat dirt.  

20 hours ago, KrookedWolfe said:

Daingerfield has many Linebacker legends,  some of which weren't mentioned. This basically boils down to who you personally seen or heard stories about. We as Tiger fans should find a way to get stats. David King was a beast no doubt and ranks real high, but the Tigers have had many that may have outperformed him (Anthony Fisher) sticks out in my mind.. Same size really, but ran 4.3 in the 40. Kinda like our track teams. Corey Richardson was prolly the fastest 100 meter runner I seen, but I'm still not sure he ever beat Darrin Lafayette 10.4 time at State. Tiger mile relays have been great as well, but has any team beat the Tiger 3:16.5 record with Charles Lafayette, Davis Mims, Ashley Lewis and Steve Stutsman? 🤔

I think Corey's state time was 10.2

3 hours ago, Acewell said:

I think Corey's state time was 10.2

I wouldn't doubt it at all. Corey was a beast. I thought it was 10.6 at state.  I know he ran 10.3 in Omaha. Darrin Lafayette 10.4 was fully automatic.  Still the 2 fastest to ever run the 100 meter dash representing Daingerfield.  🐅 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MuleSlicks said:

David King was mean.  He wanted the RBs scared of him and succeeded many times in my opinion.  Edmonds was smarter, just as aggressive, but lacked that meanness. I can't really say which was better, but I'll give King the edge, cause I enjoyed watching him make RBs eat dirt.  

I agree, but I think Steve is more well rounded because of the era he played in(mostly spread)...so he should be more advanced in the passing game phase of playing linebacker...but the biggest difference I saw when reviewing film is Steve likes to arm tackle and David was trying to run through people!!! Don't get me wrong Steve did actually hit some people too, but the temperament was different!!!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2010 at 3:00 PM, wildtigers said:

When I was a kid back in the late 60's early 70's there was a linebacker that was awesome. I remember being in a playoff game or game to win district and we needed this linebacker to play and he was hurt and he came out on crutches and played as much of the game as he could on one leg in the middle. Does anyone remember this or did I dream it?

that happened, but I forgot his name

On 6/24/2010 at 5:41 AM, gobigred09 said:

I played against David King and he was a really good player..however he wasn't even the best linebacker we played that year. We played Jimmy Wilkerson at Pewitt and "Tick" Johnson" at Hooks and felt like they were better players if you tried to run right at them. King was great sideline to sideline but not as strong if you ran right at him.

He was by far the most intimidating player. And it is too bad he couldn't use his abilities to get himself a college education.

Edited by puttjones99
not worth commenting

On 11/7/2022 at 1:48 AM, puttjones99 said:

So who were you all 3 starting linebackers on the 83 team 84 team and 85 team.?

The way I remember it was Randy Woods, Mark Rowe and Carlton Walker. 83. State Champs 42-0 vs Sweeny

84 was Ladd Freeman, Carlton Walker, Gene Rowe. State Finalist lost to Medina Valley 14-7

85 Anthony Fisher, Ashley Lewis and Tony Johnson . State Champion vs Cuero 47-22.... Cuero had Brab Gobble and Robert Straight that went on to Baylor and handled business. 

Tiger Pride 

Edited by KrookedWolfe
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, KrookedWolfe said:

The way I remember it was Randy Woods, Mark Rowe and Carlton Walker. 83. State Champs 42-0 vs Sweeny

84 was Ladd Freeman, Carlton Walker, Gene Rowe. State Finalist lost to Medina Valley 14-7

85 Anthony Fisher, Ashley Lewis and Tony Johnson . State Champion vs Cuero 47-22.... Cuero had Brab Gobble and Robert Straight that went on to Baylor and handled business. 

Tiger Pride 

I don't remember Strait "handling business" at Baylor.

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

I don't remember Strait "handling business" at Baylor.

On 11/7/2022 at 7:30 PM, KrookedWolfe said:

Tiger Pride 

👍

Edited by KrookedWolfe